Catchall Deion Sanders Thread

My boss makes 7 figures and I’m not near him. It happens… a lot.

The players are given a LOT of free stuff, starting with an education from a premier school. You simply cannot play that off. It’s worth over $100K, including COA. Then you add all the services they get, food service, medical, tutoring, S&C, etc., etc. they get paid a lot of in-kind remuneration.
And that still doesn’t come close to the revenue the school makes from TV, attendance, merch. So you think someone wearing a #14 GT jersey back in the day meant JH didn’t deserve anything from that? All because of a scholarship?

I’m sure GT made a good amount of $$$ from JH being a CFB star.

And that still doesn’t come close to the revenue the school makes from TV, attendance, merch. So you think someone wearing a #14 GT jersey back in the day meant JH didn’t deserve anything from that? All because of a scholarship?

I thought this was what NIL was about; allowing players to profit from their name, image or likeness. But it has evolved into collections/groups and individuals that own or run a business just basically giving kids money to come to their school. There is no cost or profit analysis in these deals. It's basically just freedom for boosters to do what they used to do but now it's above board.

As a player you make a deal, sacrifice some $$$ to play college football with its attendant benefits. Think of it as a contract.

That is how things used to work and how they ought to work. Problem was/is the monopoly that is NCAA+NFL. Aspiring professional football players had no choice other than to play as a poor college student.

As a player you make a deal, sacrifice some $$$ to play college football with its attendant benefits. Think of it as a contract.

That is how things used to work and how they ought to work. Problem was/is the monopoly that is NCAA+NFL. Aspiring professional football players had no choice other than to play as a poor college student.
This is totally lost on a lot of younger college football fans. Not all, but many.

JH was not hurting for merch in college

I thought this was what NIL was about; allowing players to profit from their name, image or likeness. But it has evolved into collections/groups and individuals that own or run a business just basically giving kids money to come to their school. There is no cost or profit analysis in these deals. It's basically just freedom for boosters to do what they used to do but now it's above board.
If businesses want to give kids $$$ for a commercial, etc that’s on the company. It’s actually not the same as the under the table deals of the past. It’s out in the open with a vast majority of the deals.

So I’ll ask again, if the school has been raking in $$$ from sales of jerseys, etc with the player’s # on it, why is it so wrong for a kid to get an NIL deal?

I don’t disagree with your contract aka scholarship agreement. That is next in all this.
1. Truly guaranteed 4 yea scholarships with medical benefits.
2. Performance based scholarships / contracts where players get a portion of the gate revenue.

Currently, they are 1 year scholarships renewed annually. And players have been asked to leave / forced out long before there was a Portal. It’s just visible to see when a kid intends to leave on his own or is asked to leave.

But I’ll ask again. Why is it the school can profit off merchandise sold with a star players number on it, while the player gets nothing? It doesn’t make sense.

If businesses want to give kids $$$ for a commercial, etc that’s on the company. It’s actually not the same as the under the table deals of the past. It’s out in the open with a vast majority of the deals.

So I’ll ask again, if the school has been raking in $$$ from sales of jerseys, etc with the player’s # on it, why is it so wrong for a kid to get an NIL deal?

The problem is not that the players are benefitting from an NIL deal. The problem is that players are only going to certain schools because those schools are promising the players deals or x amount of $ via a deal to play at that school.

If the player has to market themselves, or pay someone to market them then I think we have less of a problem. What is happening though is the schools and coaches are setting these deals up and you get no loyalty, no players who love the school or team they are on anymore, or players who appreciate the fans which really allow this to happen in the first place.

This trash is basically a handout for unproven amateur athletes. In the past, the payday came from the love of the game and the hopes of the next level. Now the payday happens before any of them do anything except graduate highschool.

We might as well give these kids 100k in middle school and see what happens, better yet hit with a paycheck in small fry. I dunno where it ends but the fans are getting screwed here. They already have this setup in the NFL and college FB is just becoming a much öööötier version of that.

Reinstate transfer penalties, or make a kid stay where they sign initially or they can quit college and try to walk on to the NFL is about the only recourse I see at this point.

The problem is not that the players are benefitting from an NIL deal. The problem is that players are only going to certain schools because those schools are promising the players deals or x amount of $ via a deal to play at that school.

If the player has to market themselves, or pay someone to market them then I think we have less of a problem. What is happening though is the schools and coaches are setting these deals up and you get no loyalty, no players who love the school or team they are on anymore, or players who appreciate the fans which really allow this to happen in the first place.

This trash is basically a handout for unproven amateur athletes. In the past, the payday came from the love of the game and the hopes of the next level. Now the payday happens before any of them do anything except graduate highschool.

We might as well give these kids 100k in middle school and see what happens, better yet hit with a paycheck in small fry. I dunno where it ends but the fans are getting screwed here. They already have this setup in the NFL and college FB is just becoming a much öööötier version of that.
You really think that schools are just now promising kids X amount of $$$ to come here? Just go back and look up the stuff Fulmer was ”allegedly” doing at Tennessee, while also turning Alabama in. Ole Miss under Hugh Freeze. Bowden at FSU, Miami in their prime under Jimmy Johnson, etc. This isn’t new.

Go back to the whole SMU debacle. Cars, $$$, etc. Those players didn’t go to SMU “for the love of the game” and to have a shot at the NFL, etc. For a percentage of kids, it’s always been a financial agreement. It’s no different now, other than the NCAA can’t hand out penalties.

If a company is dumb enough to give a 6 figure deal to a kid, that’s on the company, not the kid. This is still a fraction of the general 3-4* kids signing every year.

I don’t think your biggest gripe is with NIL, I think it’s because you know that GT can’t compete with the larger schools around the ACC, SEC, B1G for NIL initiatives. And it’s just an unfortunate fact of life at this point. GT just doesn’t have the combination of alum + sidewalk fans to provide the $$$ to compete with Bama, Clemson, etc in the NIL game. But that doesn’t mean GT can’t compete in the overall NIL game and become a stronger program on the field vs what we’ve seen the past 4+ years.

JH getting merch during his time as a player has nothing to do with the fact that the school profited off his NIL, while he didn’t receive anything from it.
He wasn't receiving cars because of his name image or likeness to Brent key.. it's because he looked and acted like Joe ham

JH getting merch during his time as a player has nothing to do with the fact that the school profited off his NIL, while he didn’t receive anything from it.
1. Not sure you understand the difference between revenue and profit. You use the words interchangeably. And even tho you are sure GT made zillions from JH being a star, you really have no idea if GT made anything from Joe’s stardom. And I won’t even adress the underlying assumption you are making that GT was some dimwitted school that the golden egg of Joe Hamilton just dropped into. Fridge made Joe Hamilton into Joe Hamilton. You think that just happened by accident? So ease up on the GT rode his coattails nonsense. Take Ralph Friedgen out of the picture and there is no appearance at the Heisman ceremony.

Second point is where the hell are you getting your information from? You are on record in other threads saying the GTAA is broke. Yet when you need to support your views on NIL, GT is making zillions on the backs of players that GT had no role in helping acheive success.

So first, learn why Revenue ≠ Profit. Then, give our staff some damn credit for helping shape raw talent into marketable talent. Then explain how GT is profitable and broke at the same time.

Do you realize how few programs are making big bucks from all these supposedly unfair/unshared sources of money? It cost a great deal to run a D-1 program. Have you taken a family of 4 to a major college football game lately? If so, do you still own your home, or does the bank actually own it?

Most minor league baseball players make less than cost of tuition at a D1 school, and have similar chance of going pro as a CFB player. Rookie league is a poverty wage. Minor league talents comparable to Hamilton don’t get anywhere near the media exposure he got playing for GT. It was a mutually beneficial relationship. Had Joe chosen another path Godsey or another player would’ve been in that role. I’m glad players can benefit from NIL deals now, but the guys “only” on scholarship still have great opportunities to walk away with something of real value.

What would players earn if the NFL ran farm leagues? Would you follow a minor league NFL team the way you follow GT?

Diet Coke came out in 1982...followed in 1984 by all-new disposable adult diapers...those were a real smash hit and are still going strong today!
Yep, from those that have never had a real Coke. Can't comment on diapers, I haven't used em, but I have had real Coca-Cola and Diet Coke, and it's like comparing gold to mud.

Most minor league baseball players make less than cost of tuition at a D1 school, and have similar chance of going pro as a CFB player. Rookie league is a poverty wage. Minor league talents comparable to Hamilton don’t get anywhere near the media exposure he got playing for GT. It was a mutually beneficial relationship. Had Joe chosen another path Godsey or another player would’ve been in that role. I’m glad players can benefit from NIL deals now, but the guys “only” on scholarship still have great opportunities to walk away with something of real value.

What would players earn if the NFL ran farm leagues? Would you follow a minor league NFL team the way you follow GT?
This is what I would like to see happen! NFL Farm/Minor League! IMHO College Baseball has not suffered because of MLB Farm League System. Again, IMHO, this would increase parity in college sports and decrease the Factories dominance in college sports.

Return College Football (College Sports in general) back to playing for God, Country, Mom, Apple Pie, and Alma Mater.

IF NIL is here to stay, should a player have to reimburse the school for the first 50%-100% of education costs provided by the school, before banking any money? I used my "NIL" and skills to get jobs while I was a student at GT. And I had to take that money and use it to pay GT and others for education related expenses. I'm not, nor have I ever been, a stud athlete, but I used my "NIL" and skills to represent GT as positively as possible... Where are my added benefits and compensations?? (Yes. I'm being hyperbolic and sarcastic, but I hope you get the point.) :dunno:

There is a huge lack of understanding when it comes to the replaceability of these athletes at all levels. Vastly overpaid. I’m not sure how or if it will end. They gave themselves a boost by legalizing sports gambling. That makes people watch who might not otherwise.

And that still doesn’t come close to the revenue the school makes from TV, attendance, merch.
So what? Assembly line workers don't make close to the revenue GM makes selling cars. Walmart workers don't make close to what the company makes selling all sorts of öööö.

The football players have a skill set that has a certain demand. They can sell those skills now. How much the school makes or doesn't make is not their concern. If the school's athletic department has a bad year and loses money do you want to give them a cut of that?

Back