Catchall FSU Gone/Snubbed/White Knighting Thread

Why would other ACC teams agree to that?

I would like to see the ACC vote tomorrow to:

1 - Kick FSU out of the ACC immediately, and

2 - Prohibit all remaining ACC teams from ever playing FSU in any sport again, effective immediately.

I know this will never happen, but I am so disgusted with FSU running down the ACC in public. FSU chose the ACC over the SEC. FSU has played a leading role in every decision that the ACC has made since then. If FSU doesn't like the ACC, FSU should at least be mature enough to admit that FSU itself is responsible for creating the situation it's complaining about.

FSU trustees and administrators have now said publicly that FSU wants to leave the ACC because the ACC is not good enough for FSU. That's FSU's business. But, why should Tech and other ACC teams make it easier for FSU to do this by letting FSU pick the time for FSU to leave and letting FSU continue to fill its schedule with ACC teams until FSU ditches ACC teams and replaces them with SEC or Big 10 teams?

It would cost the remaining ACC teams a lot of money to kick FSU out and quit playing FSU. But money isn't everything. Self-respect is much more important than cash.

2 - Prohibit all remaining ACC teams from ever playing FSU in any sport again, effective immediately.

I know this will never happen, but I am so disgusted with FSU running down the ACC in public. FSU chose the ACC over the SEC. FSU has played a leading role in every decision that the ACC has made since then. If FSU doesn't like the ACC, FSU should at least be mature enough to admit that FSU itself is responsible for creating the situation it's complaining about.

FSU trustees and administrators have now said publicly that FSU wants to leave the ACC because the ACC is not good enough for FSU. That's FSU's business. But, why should Tech and other ACC teams make it easier for FSU to do this by letting FSU pick the time for FSU to leave and letting FSU continue to fill its schedule with ACC teams until FSU ditches ACC teams and replaces them with SEC or Big 10 teams?

It would cost the remaining ACC teams a lot of money to kick FSU out and quit playing FSU. But money isn't everything. Self-respect is much more important than cash.
I don’t blame FSU. The ACC sucks as a conference. The Tobacco Road schools leading the way with Swofford at the wheel got us where we are now. They are the reason we wasted our expansion bullets on big east basketball schools that no one gives a öööö about playing. Remember - the ACC shot first and killed the Big East. We just so happened to get schools that no one else wanted. That sent the B1G and SEC looking about. And then we panicked by signing our ability to leave away in exchange for espn’s half assed attempt at an ACC network and most games carried on Bally/FSN through a sweetheart deal for Swofford’s son.

I am hearing they will tie the GOR crap up in court for the foreseeable future, and will probably force a settlement that is somewhat less. If this occurs, it helps GT and the other programs by giving them options
Why would we reach a settlement? We’d make them pay the full amount. It’s not like Wake and BC will get some comparable payment after the conference as we know it dissolves. This will be their payday and they’re not going to settle for less. I don’t blame them.

You won't find many GT fans who will disagree with you, but Tech chose its fate on regional rivalries the day we left the SEC. After "picking" permanent rivals in the ACC netted us Clemson, Louisville, and Wake, our schedule isn't exactly packed with annual rivalry matchups in the ACC either.

As others have posted on this board, GT is more of a national brand. And we left the SEC because we thought ourselves more of a national brand. We'll be a good fit in the B1G if it comes to that, and chances are the B1G will grab as many southern ACC football programs as they can, putting us in a pod with annual matchups that are better than what we've got now anyway.
I don't think anyone could have predicted this would happen in college football back in 1964. I hear what you're saying, and in the most abstract sense, yes. That sort of sealed our fate. However, you could argue more easily that Vince Dooley and UGA abstaining on the vote on us back in 1978 when Dodd, Bear at UA, Ray Graves at UF were trying to get us back into the SEC was worse. We knew much more then what was happening in CFB.

<SNIPPED>

This sounds like some of the dumb stuff Bobby Dodd would advocate for, so called 'self-respect'. College football in today's world is very much about $$, if FSU wants out of the marriage to the ACC they should have to pay alimony hugely. There is nothing admirable about giving FSU a free ride to go where ever they can land, and do whatever they want. That's not 'self-respect', the is being a putz.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I still do not like FSU's attitude, because it carries an implication that FSU is too good for Georgia Tech. I wish the ACC had never
This sounds like some of the dumb stuff Bobby Dodd would advocate for, so called 'self-respect'. College football in today's world is very much about $$, if FSU wants out of the marriage to the ACC they should have to pay alimony hugely. There is nothing admirable about giving FSU a free ride to go where ever they can land, and do whatever they want. That's not 'self-respect', the is being a putz.

If the ACC kicked FSU out tomorrow and all ACC teams quit playing FSU, FSU would not have many games or recruits for at least a few years. That's what FSU deserves, in my opinion. I would rather see that happen than get some money from them. And self respect is still more important than money, even in college sports.

FSU BOT, meeting they did not announce that they were leaving, just said that they may have to at some point if the TV $$ do not increase...

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I still do not like FSU's attitude, because it carries an implication that FSU is too good for Georgia Tech. I wish the ACC had never

If the ACC kicked FSU out tomorrow and all ACC teams quit playing FSU, FSU would not have many games or recruits for at least a few years. That's what FSU deserves, in my opinion. I would rather see that happen than get some money from them. And self respect is still more important than money, even in college sports.
What does what they are trying to do have to do with Tech? If they take the hit for trying to break the stupidest agreement maybe ever, it shouldn’t do anything but help schools like Tech. People can die on the ACC hill if they believe it is going to be viable going forward.
The ACC has no answers for competing with the other leagues. The commissioner stands up like Kevin Bacon in Animal House and screams “all is well!”, while basically saying nothing. The almost 40 million $ revenue gap is real, and it is affecting the ACC programs greatly.

Regardless of all of that we need to be thinking creatively and fast. The warning shot has been sent and if Tech sports are to survive they need a landing spot.
Bingo. You hit the point. The ACC fast becoming irrelevant, and just sitting back and hoping for things like Notre Dame to join and hand over part of their football TV revenue is pie in the sky thinking.

Bingo. You hit the point. The ACC fast becoming irrelevant, and just sitting back and hoping for things like Notre Dame to join and hand over part of their football TV revenue is pie in the sky thinking.

The number one thing that the ACC can do to become relevant again is to stop fielding ööööty football teams and sucking it up in bowl season/no conference matchups. If we return to form, we are moving the cause in the right direction.

IMO, FSU is not Texas, Oklahoma, USC. Teams that every conference wanted. UCLA got lucky tagging along with USC. Is the SEC ready to take FSU on alone without concessions? I don't know but I have my doubts. Does the Big10 prefer Washington, Oregon, UNC and Virginia over FSU - I think quite possibly.

So while FSU can complain and moan about the payouts, the truth is they don't appear to have a firm plan if they do leave the ACC. They need some accomplisses to pull it off. Either Clemson or UNC and maybe Virginia need to join them. I think they know this and are trying to pull the old "Who is with me".

well done article attached

Back