Catchall FSU Gone/Snubbed/White Knighting Thread

Man, some of y’all have the thickest homer goggles on of all time especially with the short sightedness. None of this is about the current state of FSU. FSU, unlike just about every team in the ACC, is actually looking at the future. Sure, they’ve struggled for a decade because they allowed loyalty to a Hall of Fame coach to let him stay past his prime, but we did the same thing with Dodd who absolutely destroyed our program by leaving the SEC. FSU also made a poor hire in Taggert which cost them 4 years. FSU knows to get to the next level they have to play next level teams. Kirby built UGA by going head to head with Bama, LSU, etc not by playing 10 nobody ACC teams.

I wish the ACC was a top tier football conference but the ACC choose to bring in basketball schools and become the Dean and Coach K conference. And here we are. FSU came into the ACC and made everyone better by kicking our butt for a decade before they fell down to our level. But they are at least smart enough to know they aren’t going to become elite again by playing an ACC schedule. We have our ACC leadership over the past 30 years to thank for that. So everyone can point to them and laugh because they fell down to ACC levels but it wasn’t that long ago many of you were laughing at UGA for their 40 year drought. You aren’t laughing at them now. I am in full support of any team who decides to try and leave this inept conference. I can only hope Cabrera and JBatt are forward thinkers unlike Dodd and many of you.
UGA and Bama are winning championships because they invest heavily into their football programs. Clemson invests more in their football program than Ohio State, and they’ve got championships to show for it. Playing a tough schedule no doubt plays a role, but money does too. Unfortunately the ACC has no answers to bridge that financial gap, so there is no future for the conference. It chose to go balls deep into northern basketball schools that added little football culture during expansion, and now the piper has come to collect.

I’m with you though, GT needs to be making a plan to have a seat when the music stops.

I find this to be so far fetched. The level at which these decisions are made some Joe Blow Donor isn't going to be in the circle.

Who on Stingtalk knew J Batt was interviewing for the AD role? Anyone?

That's our own school with donors a plenty on here. He was announced and it was like - Who? And then, why does this dude only have a letter for a first name?

This decision is orders of magnitude larger, but some rando FSU donor knows the plan!?
I posted his name very early in the search. Things got more tight lipped after the Geoff Duncan leak to message boards. Thankfully that happened, though, because that would've been a terrible hire.

FSU is very insular, much like Tech, and has a very similar booster profile to Tech in that they have a lot of guys who remember the glory days, but won't put money in without a direct and immediate ROI. In other words, they're out of touch and let the game slip them by as well. Their facilities are terrible, dilapidated, and really reek of "we were good in the past." They're pretty damn convinced that they need to fix the revenue problem, even if it "costs" money "upfront". They'll find a way to structure that "debt" just like we're still paying off the last stadium renovation.

Tin foil hat theory: FSU is making a stink in the ACC on purpose knowing they can't leave, hoping they get treated as the outcast of the conference by officials, etc., and will later try to leverage that into an exit.
FSU is trying to create negotiating leverage so they can get unequal distribution of media money. This is a nothingburger.

The date of the 'announcement' in the original post has come and gone ... crickets
What’s funny tho is whether that rumor was started by a legit donor talking to administration or some random guy on the internet, that’s all it took to get the school prez to speak up and the board of trustees to spend time talking about it during their meeting.

What’s funny tho is whether that rumor was started by a legit donor talking to administration or some random guy on the internet, that’s all it took to get the school prez to speak up and the board of trustees to spend time talking about it during their meeting.

Let's come together and try to goad ours into talking about something to see if we can.

FSU is very insular, much like Tech, and has a very similar booster profile to Tech in that they have a lot of guys who remember the glory days, but won't put money in without a direct and immediate ROI. In other words, they're out of touch and let the game slip them by as well. Their facilities are terrible, dilapidated, and really reek of "we were good in the past." They're pretty damn convinced that they need to fix the revenue problem, even if it "costs" money "upfront". They'll find a way to structure that "debt" just like we're still paying off the last stadium renovation.
You are mistaken about their facilities. Their new locker rooms and weight rooms have consistently been rated top ten nationally. They are building a state of the art football only facility. Their biggest issues have been the dummies they had in the administration which caused the hiring of ineffective ADs and Willie Taggart

Didn’t FSU have to shell out big bucks to buy out Taggart to get him, buy him out to cut him and spend more to get Novell?
For their sake, I hope they have a dance partner lined up, and I wonder if UF would balk at them getting into the SEC?
For our sake …. you know what - don’t let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya

Didn’t FSU have to shell out big bucks to buy out Taggart to get him, buy him out to cut him and spend more to get Novell?
For their sake, I hope they have a dance partner lined up, and I wonder if UF would balk at them getting into the SEC?
For our sake …. you know what - don’t let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya
If they leave, and I am hearing there is legitimacy to it, then I really hope GT has some feelers out to say the least. If FSU and Clemson leave, the ACC won’t look much different than the AAC

FSU is trying to create negotiating leverage so they can get unequal distribution of media money. This is a nothingburger.

Agree, but there's a big difference between wanting unequal distribution because they see that as a good permanent solution for the ACC vs wanting it to get them by until the GOR ends so they can leave smelling like a rose ready to be plucked by another conference when the time comes. The board of trustees sound like they're ready to go, whether now or 15 years from now, they don't intend FSU to stay in the ACC forever.

I could definitely see the ACC picking up Stanford and Cal soon to add a bit more revenue until everything unravels in the 2030s.

What? They won a Natty a decade ago. They in no way have let the game slip by. They lost a coach who was offered more money and then made a bad hire and it took a few years for their current coach to turn them around. If FSU has let the game slip by then what do you say about the entire ACC other than Clemson. How many years has it been since GT, UNC, VT, Duke, Wake, BC, Syracuse, Louisville, NC State, UVA, or Pitt has won a Natty?

FSU sounds like the only ACC school who understands the future will be here soon enough and wants to position itself for that. Everyone else in this conference seems to just be happy recruiting 3 stars, hoping to win 7 games, and get to the Carquest Bowl. And yet a fanbase like ours is taking shots at them. It’s just comical. Maybe we should partner with them before we end up with Tulsa or South Alabama as our future rival.

Anyone could see this coming years ago. The ACC panicked and was led by basketball people on Tobacco Road. Pitt, Syracuse, BC never was gonna fit into a football conference. They've weakened it because the truth of it is, tv notwithstanding, big dogs Clemson and FSU have a hard time getting worked up when those come in. Duke sucks too. Clemson and FSU saw a scheduling straight line in a weak conference to the playoffs or big bowls but aside from that benefit, the conference sucks. Now, with the playoff expanding, they'll take their chances elsewhere. Ought to be interesting, Dabo U would probably lose 4/5 consistently in a tougher league. I'm not a lawyer, but this wouldn't have been floated in the media if something wasn't up. The real question is rather than expanding, is when conferences will start to shed some of the dead weight. I'd cull Syracuse, BC, Pitt and try to bring on programs that bring something to table. A basketball conference can't stand up against one oriented for football.

Anyone could see this coming years ago. The ACC panicked and was led by basketball people on Tobacco Road. Pitt, Syracuse, BC never was gonna fit into a football conference. They've weakened it because the truth of it is, tv notwithstanding, big dogs Clemson and FSU have a hard time getting worked up when those come in. Duke sucks too. Clemson and FSU saw a scheduling straight line in a weak conference to the playoffs or big bowls but aside from that benefit, the conference sucks. Now, with the playoff expanding, they'll take their chances elsewhere. Ought to be interesting, Dabo U would probably lose 4/5 consistently in a tougher league. I'm not a lawyer, but this wouldn't have been floated in the media if something wasn't up. The real question is rather than expanding, is when conferences will start to shed some of the dead weight. I'd cull Syracuse, BC, Pitt and try to bring on programs that bring something to table. A basketball conference can't stand up against one oriented for football.

And yet when the permanent rivals were considered, FSU chose Cuse over is despite the preference of their fanbase.

And yet when the permanent rivals were considered, FSU chose Cuse over is despite the preference of their fanbase.
I don't think they chose Syracuse. I think these teams were chosen for us. I'm sure teams could give a preference, but not every team can choose Duke as a permanent

Spot
while conferences like the SEC were adding major state universities with huge reach and fanbases, the ACC thought they were being smart adding small private schools with small fanbases and little taste for football

I don't think they chose Syracuse. I think these teams were chosen for us. I'm sure teams could give a preference, but not every team can choose Duke as a permanent

Schools were allowed to pick three schools. If two schools picked each other, it was a match. The only school who we chose who also chose us was Clemson.

It’s almost like whoever our AD was in early 2022 was retarded.

Back