Catchall FSU Gone/Snubbed/White Knighting Thread

It is a clear preview of what is to come. A superconference with huge fanbases can truck on, but these far flung conference matchups like Tech vs. Louisville, Wake Forest v. Syracuse, no one cares about. Might as well watch Louisana whoever vs. Arkansas State on tv. It took awhile, but college football killed itself chasing tv this tv that. Rivalries were great when fans could drive to a game vs fly and run into the enemy occasionally in public. Now all we have is tv this, tv that. They are boring people to death. The TV timeouts are boring people to death. I suppose the one good thing to come of it is oversaturation is leading to layoffs, and Pollack lost his ESPN gig.

If they leave, and I am hearing there is legitimacy to it, then I really hope GT has some feelers out to say the least. If FSU and Clemson leave, the ACC won’t look much different than the AAC
Heard one of their BoT members last night talking about how they want to compete for championships.
Ok, well ...
Softball did this year. Girls soccer was a Final Four team.
Hoops team hit a stumbling block this year but Leonard Hamilton had them on a pretty good roll for a while. Football team is finally getting its act back together after several bad to mediocre seasons. Its once powerhouse baseball team was DFL in the ACC this year.
You go 12-0, even 11-1, in the ACC, you should get a shot at the CFP, now that it's going to eight teams. Do they really think the path is going to be that much more accessible in the Overgrown 10 or the SEC?
Now I kinda want them to leave. And have a nice big fat helping of 6-6s for a few years.

Our biggest problem is ...who needs us? SEC doesn't. Big 10 doesn't. We go Big 12 then if the ACC splinters like a postwar Italian government?

Just a stupid article rehashing past thinking and bloviating by a liberal arts major. Once a legit playoff system exists where every team has an honest chance to make it in if they go 10-2 then all this hand wringing will be worthless. The real problem is by Sept. 20 you’ll have 75% of all teams already out of the playoff hunt so of course those fanbases aren’t going to travel or give a darn. And by Oct. 15 you’ll be down to about 8 teams with any hopes of one of the 4 spots. Once we have have a 24-32 team tournament you’ll see recruiting level out a bit and a lot more excitement from fanbases who have been asleep for decades. Right now the only fanbases with real excitement for this coming season are about 6-7. Everyone else is just going thru the motions.

I disagree. We are very attractive to B1G for a number of reasons, first and foremost is that we give them a team in the #8 TV market. This would give them a 10x bump in per subscriber revenue.
In addition to the number one reason listed above for the B1G conference to give GT an invite.....there are other contributing factors:
- AAU membership / largest non-medical research budget in the nation
- Academic Prestige
- Helps other teams recruit the state of Georgia
- when combined with FSU, Clemson and UNC, gives the B1G a Southern region
- Best fight song / Rambling Wreck / Buzz / Traditions (makes for good TV)
- ATL airport makes it easy to get to/from

I disagree. We are very attractive to B1G for a number of reasons, first and foremost is that we give them a team in the #8 TV market. This would give them a 10x bump in per subscriber revenue.
This is the real driver of expansion. There is a strategic justification for adding teams to your conference to prevent the other conference from gaining a strategic benefit by adding them.

For ex, in my opinion - and this will never happen, the SEC might invite GT just to block the B1G from putting a paw print in the heart of SEC territory. GT would not add much to the SEC's market share in the south but GT would add a significant boost to the B1G so there is a justification for the SEC to invite us just to piss off the B1G. Again, not likely to happen for unrelated reasons but would be perfectly sensible if it did.

I'm just glad we appear to have a president that cares about football in these changing times to hopefully leave us with a chair when the music stops

We need to continue spending money hand over fist as fans these next few years to show the market that we care and that we bring something to the table

If they would take Rutgers, surely GT is more attractive than that

It is a clear preview of what is to come. A superconference with huge fanbases can truck on, but these far flung conference matchups like Tech vs. Louisville, Wake Forest v. Syracuse, no one cares about. Might as well watch Louisana whoever vs. Arkansas State on tv. It took awhile, but college football killed itself chasing tv this tv that. Rivalries were great when fans could drive to a game vs fly and run into the enemy occasionally in public. Now all we have is tv this, tv that. They are boring people to death. The TV timeouts are boring people to death. I suppose the one good thing to come of it is oversaturation is leading to layoffs, and Pollack lost his ESPN gig.
Gotta give MLB some credit for the rules changes which are making the game a better experience for fans.

What? They won a Natty a decade ago. They in no way have let the game slip by. They lost a coach who was offered more money and then made a bad hire and it took a few years for their current coach to turn them around. If FSU has let the game slip by then what do you say about the entire ACC other than Clemson. How many years has it been since GT, UNC, VT, Duke, Wake, BC, Syracuse, Louisville, NC State, UVA, or Pitt has won a Natty?

FSU sounds like the only ACC school who understands the future will be here soon enough and wants to position itself for that. Everyone else in this conference seems to just be happy recruiting 3 stars, hoping to win 7 games, and get to the Carquest Bowl. And yet a fanbase like ours is taking shots at them. It’s just comical. Maybe we should partner with them before we end up with Tulsa or South Alabama as our future rival.

Please dim your garnett and gold colored glasses this is not 1995 or even 2013. Letting Jimbo go was a blessing in disguise and who’s to blame for hiring Taggart? I don’t blame the ACC for us hiring Collins.

FSU chose to join the ACC for just the opposite reason in your previous post…easier path to a natty. Bama and UGAg are on historic winning runs because they have significant larger athletic budgets, recruit like crazy, have no admission restrictions, and mastered the art of keeping players eligible. They get the best coaches and support staff. Bama is also arguably the most dominant college football program of all time and just keep getting richer and Kirby has replicated their blueprint to a t. It’s not because they started playing LSU, Auburn, etc. they’ve been doing that for 75+ years. I mean, have you seen UGAg’s football recruiting budget?

I agree with FSU is at least putting up a fight…I wish our admin would as well…but it is coming across like a dumbass coach that just screams at everyone with no real plan and they’re pissing everyone off in the process. They better hope they know what they’re doing.

Clemson is significantly ahead of FSU in every way and you don’t hear them publicly barking with no game plan. Now you’re making me defend Clemson….please stop with this FSU is so smart nonsense.

You are right on the way it was vs the way it is. However, when ESPN can't make the payments, then things will change. Disney is not going to bail out ESPN. Stock price of Disney is down, and they have bigger problems than ESPN, (woke bullshit, no real family values, the end of autonomy).
I quit watching over paid athletes take a knee to the National Athem and the Stars and Stripes. I don't miss it one bit. I will quit watching college football as it moves away from what it was to a junior league for the NFL. Inflation will kill the super-conference when a dollar means taking care of family needs more than it does beer, chips, and Woke ESPN bullshit. Also, anybody following the number of young people and athletes that are continuing to have sudden health issues? That could be the biggest factor college and high school sports are facing.

Rutgers was the second choice behind Tech the last go around. It was supposed to be Maryland + Tech, but we are dumb. I tend to think we are still attractive, but times change so who knows.
Get on a roll of 9 and 10 win seasons and become competitive and beat UGAg and we'd be the most attractive team in the ACC. Collins and Stansbury left us on ruins.

Please dim your garnett and gold colored glasses this is not 1995 or even 2013. Letting Jimbo go was a blessing in disguise and who’s to blame for hiring Taggart? I don’t blame the ACC for us hiring Collins.

FSU chose to join the ACC for just the opposite reason in your previous post…easier path to a natty. Bama and UGAg are on historic winning runs because they have significant larger athletic budgets, recruit like crazy, have no admission restrictions, and mastered the art of keeping players eligible. They get the best coaches and support staff. Bama is also arguably the most dominant college football program of all time and just keep getting richer and Kirby has replicated their blueprint to a t. It’s not because they started playing LSU, Auburn, etc. they’ve been doing that for 75+ years. I mean, have you seen UGAg’s football recruiting budget?

I agree with FSU is at least putting up a fight…I wish our admin would as well…but it is coming across like a dumbass coach that just screams at everyone with no real plan and they’re pissing everyone off in the process. They better hope they know what they’re doing.

Clemson is significantly ahead of FSU in every way and you don’t hear them publicly barking with no game plan. Now you’re making me defend Clemson….please stop with this FSU is so smart nonsense.
Agreed.

More to that point, FSU is as far away from their national title as we were in 2000 for further reference.

Schools were allowed to pick three schools. If two schools picked each other, it was a match. The only school who we chose who also chose us was Clemson.

It’s almost like whoever our AD was in early 2022 was retarded.
We chose FSU too IIRC.

They don’t need us
They already have a ton of alumni in the metro ATL to watch
There are more FSU alums than GT alums in metro ATL
They already recruit the hell out of Georgia

Rutgers was the second choice behind Tech the last go around. It was supposed to be Maryland + Tech, but we are dumb. I tend to think we are still attractive, but times change so who knows.
Rutgers was balling out in those days too. Ray Rice and that QB, I think Teel??

Back