Catchall FSU Gone/Snubbed/White Knighting Thread

An undefeated G5 team with wins over UF and LSU makes the playoffs. That’s the comical part. The ACC is less respected than the G5.
It has nothing to do with the ACC. It was always about including an SEC team. You can’t justify Alabama without including Texas. That meant either the PAC or ACC had to be excluded (since the B1G wasn’t going to be). The committee had a convenient excuse for the ACC.

If Auburn beat Alabama then Alabama over uga, uga would have been included over Texas

Will they treat us like G5 going forward?

Passive aggressive response. They can blow Rick Scott off but they can't just dismiss the subpoena with a letter like this.

From my searching, looks like the Committee could file a motion to quash the subpoena. I suspect they'll do that rather than comply. I don't have a good sense of how likely a motion to quash is to succeed.

Passive aggressive response. They can blow Rick Scott off but they can't just dismiss the subpoena with a letter like this.

From my searching, looks like the Committee could file a motion to quash the subpoena. I suspect they'll do that rather than comply. I don't have a good sense of how likely a motion to quash is to succeed.
It’s a billion dollar interstate commerce industry.

Good luck, CFP.

That response letter was childish and stupid strategy wise.

Here's the best explainer I've found on the legal situation:

It's not a subpoena, rather it's a "civil investigative demand" that functions like a subpoena. The CFP Administration, LLC has to comply or risks being held in contempt of court.

Here's the best explainer I've found on the legal situation:

It's not a subpoena, rather it's a "civil investigative demand" that functions like a subpoena. The CFP Administration, LLC has to comply or risks being held in contempt of court.
One disagreement I’d have with that article is that ESPN can be held at fault.

While ESPN doesn’t compete with Florida State, they hold the media rights to certain schools. If they leveraged influence over a cartel (either explicitly or implicitly through their control of comparison metrics) to profit, they could easily be seen as acting illegally (and, yes, I know they own the ACC media rights, but they also own the SEC).

Antitrust cases are really hard to prove because you need to show that 1) people colluded and 2) that the collusion resulted in a different outcome than what would normally have been achieved.

In the DOJ chicken anti-trust case, they had executives (CEO in one case) from multi-billion dollar chicken companies sharing an excel spreadsheet showing what they all planned to offer their largest customer. They were texting during negotiations to jointly plan their responses. Everyone still got off (two mistrials and an acquittal) because the government couldn’t prove the outcome of the negotiations was different than what would have naturally occurred.

By extension, to bring criminal charges you’d have to show both collusion and that the outcome would have otherwise been different. As much as we believe that last point, we can’t prove it.

One disagreement I’d have with that article is that ESPN can be held at fault.

While ESPN doesn’t compete with Florida State, they hold the media rights to certain schools. If they leveraged influence over a cartel (either explicitly or implicitly through their control of comparison metrics) to profit, they could easily be seen as acting illegally (and, yes, I know they own the ACC media rights, but they also own the SEC).

Antitrust cases are really hard to prove because you need to show that 1) people colluded and 2) that the collusion resulted in a different outcome than what would normally have been achieved.

In the DOJ chicken anti-trust case, they had executives (CEO in one case) from multi-billion dollar chicken companies sharing an excel spreadsheet showing what they all planned to offer their largest customer. They were texting during negotiations to jointly plan their responses. Everyone still got off (two mistrials and an acquittal) because the government couldn’t prove the outcome of the negotiations was different than what would have naturally occurred.

By extension, to bring criminal charges you’d have to show both collusion and that the outcome would have otherwise been different. As much as we believe that last point, we can’t prove it.
Sounds like the law needs to change.

ESPN has too much power. If ACC office were doing their job they would seek to have the media deal with a different entity than has SEC rights. If anything comes out of this investigation it may provide the ACC with a path to get out of ESPN control.

ESPN has too much power. If ACC office were doing their job they would seek to have the media deal with a different entity than has SEC rights. If anything comes out of this investigation it may provide the ACC with a path to get out of ESPN control.
That would be great. Is Fox a viable competitor to ESPN?

LOL they’ve been reviewing it for 2 years?
I’m told that to become a lawyer that at 13 they must read the document in Hebrew from memory… wait no I’m being told that’s Jewish people

I wonder if this could fall under the same FCC laws that governed payola scandals? I'm no legal expert but it seems to be in the same ballpark. People were prosecuted in that scandal.

I love the way espn “journalists” write articles about all this and fall over their ducks to avoid mentioning that the entire reason for all this strife is that the ESPN contract is what is suffocating the ACC.

The Alabama fans I know flat out accept it was the right position because “SEC.” Most people I know have moved on after a casual “yeah, FSU got hosed.” It’s really only FSU and other ACC fans who are making a big deal.

Wrongdoing will be very hard to prove because ultimately it’s a subjective call who makes the playoff. I doubt you’ll find a text message from the president of ESPN to the chairman of the CFP laying out exactly who to pick based on forecasted revenue of each matchup. I’m sure you’ll find a bunch of circumstantial stuff but no smoking gun.
But it’s the final destruction of college football.

Wouldn't it be fascinating if what killed the ACC was the league our representative leaving FSU out to dry

Wouldn't it be fascinating if what killed the ACC was the league our representative leaving FSU out to dry

Eh, he obviously doesn't care. Dude makes something like $1.5m per year just in salary. He probably got an additional kickback from ESPN or the SEC to not raise a fuss. I'm sure he'll be crying about the destruction of the ACC on a beach somewhere.

Back