Catchall FSU Gone/Snubbed/White Knighting Thread

Tech could end up in any number of places (or nowhere), currently there is no valid prediction possible, there are too many moving pieces, unknowns and uncertainties for anything other than speculative guess work. I don't find this particularly interesting, we're just going to have to see how this all plays out, that's the uncomfortable truth.

The question I have is this, though: Let's say Tech ends up in the equivalent of a Sun Belt type of conference.

Of course no one would be happy about it, but if that becomes reality how will this affect your Tech fandom and more importantly your participation?

Will you still go to games, watch on TV, or is that the end of GT football for you?

That got me wondering why people are fans. For me it goes back to being on campus at a very early age as my grandparents took me to games for years, my uncle played for Tech etc... So it's pretty ingrained, my fandom is highly Tech centric, so it really wouldn't change my participation very much.

But it occured to me that's not the case for all, everyone has their reasons and I wondered how much being in the sec/big10 cool kids club drives the level of involvement at the fundamental level. And if Tech were to not to be in the top conferences do you continue on with supporting Tech no matter where they end up or do you find another team to root for or just no longer view college football at all?

I hear a lot of lamenting generalities about Tech football being done in that case, and I realize everyone is passionate and wants us to end up in the best place so we can have our cake and eat it too, but this question is more about what happens at the individual level if the ideal scenarios don't play out. The summation of that is what will drive Tech's ultimate football fate.

Tech could end up in any number of places (or nowhere), currently there is no valid prediction possible, there are too many moving pieces, unknowns and uncertainties for anything other than speculative guess work. I don't find this particularly interesting, we're just going to have to see how this all plays out, that's the uncomfortable truth.

The question I have is this, though: Let's say Tech ends up in the equivalent of a Sun Belt type of conference.

Of course no one would be happy about it, but if that becomes reality how will this affect your Tech fandom and more importantly your participation?

Will you still go to games, watch on TV, or is that the end of GT football for you?

That got me wondering why people are fans. For me it goes back to being on campus at a very early age as my grandparents took me to games for years, my uncle played for Tech etc... So it's pretty ingrained, my fandom is highly Tech centric, so it really wouldn't change my participation very much.

But it occured to me that's not the case for all, everyone has their reasons and I wondered how much being in the sec/big10 cool kids club drives the level of involvement at the fundamental level. And if Tech were to not to be in the top conferences do you continue on with supporting Tech no matter where they end up or do you find another team to root for or just no longer view college football at all?

I hear a lot of lamenting generalities about Tech football being done in that case, and I realize everyone is passionate and wants us to end up in the best place so we can have our cake and eat it too, but this question is more about what happens at the individual level if the ideal scenarios don't play out. The summation of that is what will drive Tech's ultimate football fate.
I would like to be in the Sun Belt from a regional rivalry aspect, but I would also recognize it as the likely end of our ability to even dream of a national championship in football. I think the Sun Belt has navigated conference realignment well. I would still support GT athletics and be a big fan. I just wouldn’t appreciate the condescension from other fans. Including programs like Rutgers…

I would like to be in the Sun Belt from a regional rivalry aspect, but I would also recognize it as the likely end of our ability to even dream of a national championship in football. I think the Sun Belt has navigated conference realignment well.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking, the national championship ship may have sailed in that case, but it's not the end of the world either. I'm not sure I would feel that way if I didn't experience a title first hand, and I wish everyone could get to experience that at Tech.

Had Florida State made the playoff, the school would have still challenged the grant of rights at some point in 2024. At its board meeting in August, trustee Justin Roth asked for an exit plan to leave the ACC by August 2024.

How much would leaving the ACC cost?
In the lawsuit, Florida State estimates it would cost $572 million to leave the ACC without a legal victory or settlement. It would forfeit $429 million in media rights through 2036, when the ACC contract with ESPN expires; $13 million in unreimbursed broadcast fees; and an exit fee of $130 million (three times the league's total operating budget).

What happens to the ACC if FSU leaves?
There is one caveat to all of this. The lawsuit claims that the ACC's current deal with ESPN contains a unilateral option for the TV network in 2027 that must be exercised by February 2025 to extend the deal to 2036. So, if that were the case, ESPN could walk away from the deal in 14 months. Although the grant of rights is a separate document from the television contract, the two are tied together. If ESPN walks away, does that mean the grant of rights is no longer valid because there is no longer a multimedia rights deal? Or does the grant of rights carry on through 2036 no matter what? That remains unclear.

What comes next?
Under the Florida rules of civil procedure, the ACC has 20 days to file a response, which could be a motion to dismiss. Because of the holidays, the league could ask for an extension of 30 days. There are several potential outcomes to watch for: a summary judgment motion, in which a judge decides the outcome of the contract; mediation in which the ACC and Florida State work out their differences; a negotiated settlement; or a jury trial, which would happen if both sides continue to litigate with no end in sight. What remains unknown right now is what approach the ACC will take to fight this in court. The league could ask for a judge to dismiss the case with one simple argument: Florida State willingly signed the grant of rights twice: in 2013, and then again in 2016 when the league's long-term deal with ESPN was announced.

Those briefed on the discussions are not expecting this to be resolved quickly.

What is a timeline for an ultimate resolution here?
One ACC AD told ESPN, realignment has ruined the past two summers, and they already told their staff not to let this latest unrest unravel any holiday plans. The takeaway: This is just the start of a very, very long process.

The majority of administrators who spoke with ESPN said they expected it would be at least two to three years before any final resolution, and given the dollar figures at stake and the existential threat FSU's departure presents to the league, neither side has much incentive to roll over without a serious fight.

Where could FSU end up?
One wild-card scenario out there. If a judge rules in favor of Florida State, the school would be forced to withdraw from the ACC and leave the league at the end of that athletic year. If that happens before the SEC or Big Ten is ready to expand, the Big 12 would be the only option remaining.

It is important to note here that the entire reason the ACC pushed for its schools to sign a grant of rights is because Florida State flirted with leaving the league in 2012 for ... the Big 12.

I'm seriously concerned this is the death of GT football as we know it
Me to....AS FSU lawsuit claims that the ACC's current deal with ESPN contains a unilateral option for the TV network in 2027 that must be exercised by February 2025 to extend the deal to 2036. So, if that were the case, ESPN could walk away from the deal in 14 months.

Where could FSU end up?
One wild-card scenario out there. If a judge rules in favor of Florida State, the school would be forced to withdraw from the ACC and leave the league at the end of that athletic year. If that happens before the SEC or Big Ten is ready to expand, the Big 12 would be the only option remaining.
This part means little. If the SEC and Big 10 don't want to expand that year, they are free to expand the year after that or the year after that.

Me to....AS FSU lawsuit claims that the ACC's current deal with ESPN contains a unilateral option for the TV network in 2027 that must be exercised by February 2025 to extend the deal to 2036. So, if that were the case, ESPN could walk away from the deal in 14 months.
Why the öööö didn't we take that Big 10 offer?

Why only GT football, why not college football was we know it?
Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? I thought NIL and the portal were the death of college football. They seem to actually be helping parity a little bit. Maybe this won't be the deathblow I think it will be. And I have about as much love for the ACC as they have for us, which is close to zero. But still, I really think we're ööööed on this one.

A lot of things will change the landscape over the next few years. Tech has the tradition and wealthy boosters a lot of other schools don’t have, so hopefully that will play in its favor.
But more to your point, college football is out of control, and the schools who try to promote academics are falling behind.
You really think tradition matters in this current football landscape? Also, it’s hilarious you think Tech has more wealthy boosters than a lot of other schools. Cheap, wealthy boosters aren’t helpful…

Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows? I thought NIL and the portal were the death of college football. They seem to actually be helping parity a little bit. Maybe this won't be the deathblow I think it will be. And I have about as much love for the ACC as they have for us, which is close to zero. But still, I really think we're ööööed on this one.
Oh absolutely. Just a question of how much else is. This whole contraction of conferences and tv content is inevitable at this point in terms of occurring, but not in terms of succeeding. I think that's part of why it's moving so slow, the people running things now want to milk the money before it hits the stage where you really have to wonder if it's going to fail or not.

Also your other post was a question you already know the answer to: the people below the top bitched too much and the people at the top were short sighted. Nothing mysterious about it.

Oh absolutely. Just a question of how much else is. This whole contraction of conferences and tv content is inevitable at this point in terms of occurring, but not in terms of succeeding. I think that's part of why it's moving so slow, the people running things now want to milk the money before it hits the stage where you really have to wonder if it's going to fail or not.

Also your other post was a question you already know the answer to: the people below the top bitched too much and the people at the top were short sighted. Nothing mysterious about it.
No, you're absolutely right. And, in a way, this was all inevitable. Still, I was just kinda hoping it wouldn't happen.

And if we really want to point fingers, the biggest stone that caused this wave was the people running Oklahoma and (especially) Texas being stupid.

That's OK. We're also the school that is still obsessed with the man who nuked Tech football into orbit.

Bobby Dodd.

We honor the memory of the man that killed us. We're psychopaths.
Meh he took a risk and it didn’t pay off. Petersen sat on his hands and said “This is fine.”

Back