Catchall FSU Gone/Snubbed/White Knighting Thread

Stumbled into an interesting take that might give FSU & Clemson (and others) a way out of the ACC and into the SEC. In summary, ESPN owns the exclusive TV rights to both conferences. Not sure how it would work exactly but given that the money to both conferences flows from ESPN, ESPN could effectively grant a waiver on the GOR deal for FSU and Clemson since the value to ESPN increases with them in the SEC.

They would likely maintain the same overall contract with the ACC which would raise the individual team shares with two less mouths to feed.

Here's the article: http://big12insider.com/articles/acc-drama.html

Here's a video take on it:

TLDR: ESPN owns the rights to both the SEC and ACC. If teams jump from one to the other the money still flows through ESPN either way. Being the GOR holder, ESPN may hold the key to who gets to go where. Interesting speculation depending on the actual contract language.

Stumbled into an interesting take that might give FSU & Clemson (and others) a way out of the ACC and into the SEC. In summary, ESPN owns the exclusive TV rights to both conferences. Not sure how it would work exactly but given that the money to both conferences flows from ESPN, ESPN could effectively grant a waiver on the GOR deal for FSU and Clemson since the value to ESPN increases with them in the SEC.

They would likely maintain the same overall contract with the ACC which would raise the individual team shares with two less mouths to feed.

TLDR: ESPN owns the rights to both the SEC and ACC. If teams jump from one to the other the money still flows through ESPN either way. Being the GOR holder, ESPN may hold the key to who gets to go where. Interesting speculation depending on the actual contract language.
ESPN isn’t the GoR holder though.

Here's a video take on it:

Your TLDR is still too long. So I didn’t read it.

ESPN isn’t the GoR holder though.
The ACC owns the GOR but signed them away to ESPN through 2036. ESPN could theoretically have a big say as to what the ACC does or doesn't do with regard to a team leaving the conference and what would be owed regarding the GOR. If ESPN thinks it can make more money with FSU/Clemson in the SEC, they very well may negotiate with the ACC to make that happen since ESPN owns the rights to both.

It's messy. It's hard to know what is what without having access to the contracts. It would be interesting to hear the take from a good contract lawyer on all of this.

The ACC owns the GOR but signed them away to ESPN through 2036. ESPN could theoretically have a big say as to what the ACC does or doesn't do with regard to a team leaving the conference and what would be owed regarding the GOR. If ESPN thinks it can make more money with FSU/Clemson in the SEC, they very well may negotiate with the ACC to make that happen since ESPN owns the rights to both.

It's messy. It's hard to know what is what without having access to the contracts. It would be interesting to hear the take from a good contract lawyer on all of this.
Even if all that is true, I doubt ESPN can force teams into the SEC. And I don’t think the SEC wants them.

Even if all that is true, I doubt ESPN can force teams into the SEC.
Of course, but if the teams want to leave and the invitation to join is there, I doubt ESPN would try and stop them and since they own the contracts there may not be much the ACC can do., at least until 2036 or ESPN goes bankrupt.

TLDR for the TLDR: ESPN owns SEC and ACC TV rights. They make more money with FSU and Clemson in the SEC.
They own the ACC rights for another dozen years. Why would they want to make the conference so much less valuable?

And ESPN has to pay the ACC the same amount every year for 12 more years. The ACC gets the money and divvies it up. If Florida State and Clemson leave, the ACC still gets the same amount of money and divvies it among less teams. And the SEC contract does not increase. So what is the payoff for Clemson and FSU?

And ESPN has to pay the ACC the same amount every year for 12 more years. The ACC gets the money and divvies it up. If Florida State and Clemson leave, the ACC still gets the same amount of money and divvies it among less teams. And the SEC contract does not increase. So what is the payoff for Clemson and FSU?

They get slightly more respect from the trailer park crowd?

Texas and OU paid $100 million dollars to leave the Big 12 one football season early to join the SEC. If the going rate is $50 million per team per season on the GOR and there are 13 football seasons remaining on the ACC GOR then any team leaving the ACC based on a financial arrangement would have to pay $650+ million dollars if the league would even allow you to leave.

It is also unlikely that any schools could get out of the GOR by voting to dissolved the ACC conference. I don't know what is in the ACC's bylaws, but it likely includes stipulations (similar to the Big 12 bylaws) that any members seeking to leave or conspiring to leave the conference with others would lose their voting right on whether to dissolve the conference. In other words, a majority of the jilted schools would have to vote in favor of dissolution which seems extremely unlikely.

might be a net zero. clems and fsu get tossed into meat grinder sec and become average middle of the pack teams. hurts acc losing two marque teams, but if there is a huge buyout and gets split between remaining teams, hopefully makes up for current deficit and allows acc to get more competitive.

So FSU besides paying 120M exit fee any departing school would forfeit its media rights and the ability to have home games and some non-conference games air on TV. In all sports. Through 2036 Why would FSU leave to have their new BIG10 or SEC revenue go to the ACC? Why wouldn't FSU just wait until the next media contract to leave, when they can keep their new BIG10/SEC revenue?

Original 2013 GOR

This is the GOR amendment in 2016 that extended the ACC Grant of Rights through 2036

Why would the ACC/ESPN agree to altered by negotiating anything less then 120M exit fee and 910M FSU new media rights that will be paid to the ACC/ESPN ($70 million per year from Big10). That is what it takes to leave for the Big10 per the ACC GOR, before lawyer fees.

If FSU stays in ACC they are scheduled to receive 712M in the ACC through 2036, so the difference in payout from Big10 to ACC is roughly 198M through 2036. Why would FSU pay 120M in an exit fee, lawyer fees and and try and negotiate a huge buyout vs losing their ACC home TV rights through 2036? All this for 198M dollar difference? You want me to believe this? What I can believe is that FSU may leave closer to 2030/2033, but today???

I call BS!

I mean, that's the crux of the issue. No ACC team can survive that sort of deficit. It's completely untenable.
Exactly. It's why it was even embraced and lovingly called a poison pill in the contract by all the agreeing members at the time. It's also such a cautionary tale that we will likely not ever see poison pills programmed into a conference contract again.

Exactly. It's why it was even embraced and lovingly called a poison pill in the contract by all the agreeing members at the time. It's also such a cautionary tale that we will likely not ever see poison pills programmed into a conference contract again.

Even at the time I wondered why the top schools in the conference would sign something like this.

Back