CATCHALL GTFLETCH COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEWS THREAD

As pointed out on XM College Sports Sunday yesterday, $20 million spread out over all SA’s per school doesn’t equal to all that much per SA. Look at Stanford for example, which has a LOT of additional teams across a whole lot more sports vs GT, etc.

I have a question about the $20M university cap. Couldn't non-university NIL collectives still be used to exceed the cap, and thereby advantage those universities with more money? Like LSU would be limited to $20M but donors could start some "LSU Tiger Fund" outside the university and pay players through that too?

I have a question about the $20M university cap. Couldn't non-university NIL collectives still be used to exceed the cap, and thereby advantage those universities with more money? Like LSU would be limited to $20M but donors could start some "LSU Tiger Fund" outside the university and pay players through that too?
I have heard it both ways.

Since I can remember late 80’s. And while that’s mostly true, GOL was given the free pass near the end of his GT coaching career to take a good amount of exceptions. We all know the end result led to “flunk gate” early in CCG’s tenure, and GT clamped back down with APR being implemented, etc.

Difference is now, GT can take in 50/50 classes between Portal / HS. It’s a completely different game now. Back then it was 99.9% HS.

Do I expect the flood gates to open by the school with APR all but going away? No. But with all the other hurdles GT is facing (NIL collectives, ACC future, etc) this is one they can control themselves.

Flunk gate is much more attributable to a poor admin that displayed the aloofness that “the hill” is known for.

I agree with your last paragraph. However, I will be surprised if there are more than a couple of admits from kids that clearly couldn’t hack it academic wise.

GT is in an interesting position—do they embrace the new reality of collegiate athletics, do they say no thanks and drop down or do a it somewhere in between (which might be the worst outcome)?

Flunk gate is much more attributable to a poor admin that displayed the aloofness that “the hill” is known for.

I agree with your last paragraph. However, I will be surprised if there are more than a couple of admits from kids that clearly couldn’t hack it academic wise.

GT is in an interesting position—do they embrace the new reality of collegiate athletics, do they say no thanks and drop down or do a it somewhere in between (which might be the worst outcome)?
O'Leary had people that made sure players went to class and were taking care of academic matters or they faced consequences. GT had an award winning academic support staff under O'Leary that was let go when he departed.

Dave Braine (AD) hired a HC (Chan Gailey) with no college coaching experience and told Gailey not to worry about academics because the support staff had it covered. As a result, no one was paying attention to the Heisman trophy candidate RB (Tony Hollings) that was on crutches and did not feel like walking across campus to his classes. Obviously, players need to be personally accountable, but you would think that if having a player available was super important to team success that you would put some effort into making sure the player was going to class and if they are on crutches maybe have someone give them a ride to class.

A fair number of the kids became ineligible during flunkgate simply because they were not properly advised on which courses and the number of courses that needed to be take to maintain their eligibility. There were also issues where the Hill was not properly rounding players gpa's so they were not properly advised on what grades needed to be met to maintain eligibility.

Flunkgate was mostly a GT / Dave Braine / Hill issue not a George O'Leary issue.

I had an ACL and was on crutches and there is a van that you can schedule and they come pick you up (even at our place in Homepark) and to/from every class and then back home. Plus there was Stinger. Just sayin'. It was 85% a Tony Hollings problem (prob was depressed). Maybe better athletic psychologic services might have helped

I had an ACL and was on crutches and there is a van that you can schedule and they come pick you up (even at our place in Homepark) and to/from every class and then back home. Plus there was Stinger. Just sayin'. It was 85% a Tony Hollings problem (prob was depressed). Maybe better athletic psychologic services might have helped
I don't disagree with you. Note how I prefaced the comment with "players need to be personally accountable". However if it my job to win football games, I am going to do everything I can within the rules to make sure that my star player is going to class and doing what is he needs to do to stay eligible. Gailey never had to deal with these issues in the NFL and was told not to worry about it.

The players went from an environment under O'Leary where they had people holding them accountable for their academics to one under Gailey where far less attention was paid to it. As a result, some of the kids that needed that external motivation to get across the academic goal line fell short, plus giving other players bad advise on the courses they needed to be taking and what their gpa was.

O'Leary had people that made sure players went to class and were taking care of academic matters or they faced consequences. GT had an award winning academic support staff under O'Leary that was let go when he departed.

Dave Braine (AD) hired a HC (Chan Gailey) with no college coaching experience and told Gailey not to worry about academics because the support staff had it covered. As a result, no one was paying attention to the Heisman trophy candidate RB (Tony Hollings) that was on crutches and did not feel like walking across campus to his classes. Obviously, players need to be personally accountable, but you would think that if having a player available was super important to team success that you would put some effort into making sure the player was going to class and if they are on crutches maybe have someone give them a ride to class.

A fair number of the kids became ineligible during flunkgate simply because they were not properly advised on which courses and the number of courses that needed to be take to maintain their eligibility. There were also issues where the Hill was not properly rounding players gpa's so they were not properly advised on what grades needed to be met to maintain eligibility.

Flunkgate was mostly a GT / Dave Braine / Hill issue not a George O'Leary issue.
That’s not exactly true as it relates to CCG. CCG had plenty of college coaching experience as an assistant and HC including winning a National Championship in 1984 as the HC at Troy State (now D1A Troy).

That’s not exactly true as it relates to CCG. CCG had plenty of college coaching experience as an assistant and HC including winning a National Championship in 1984 as the HC at Troy State (now D1A Troy).

I stand corrected. Forgot about Gailey's pre-NFL college experience. Stand by that Gailey really did not know what he was getting into with GT academics and he was led to believe that coaching staff did not need to pay attention to academics as closely as they probably should have.

I stand corrected. Forgot about Gailey's pre-NFL college experience. Stand by that Gailey really did not know what he was getting into with GT academics and he was led to believe that coaching staff did not need to pay attention to academics as closely as they probably should have.
And it is I think true that having come from the pros, he was used to players taking more personal responsibility as ND not having to "babysit" them - despite his previous college experience. I think in the time that he was coaching in college to returning, the relative maturity of college players wemt down. Plus, video games got a lot better

Maybe. But if you want to win you make sure he's on the damn bus. I don't care if some non player geeky IE misses classes with an ACL tear

I have two ACL’s. Never had to use crutches though.

Back