CATCHALL GTFLETCH COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEWS THREAD

New CFP TV schedule announced. Even after all the expanded CFP is in place, the damn MNC game is on a Monday. Just stupid. How the CFP / NFL can’t negotiate a Saturday night CFB MNC game at this point is baffling.

Playoff First Round

Friday, Dec. 20 – 8 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN
Saturday, Dec. 21 – 12 p.m. ET, TNT
Saturday, Dec. 21 – 4 p.m. ET, TNT
Saturday, Dec. 21 – 8 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN

Playoff Quarterfinals

Tuesday, Dec. 31 – 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
VRBO Fiesta Bowl
Wednesday, Jan. 1 – 1 p.m. ET, ESPN
Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl
Wednesday, Jan. 1 – 5 p.m. ET, ESPN
Rose Bowl Game
Wednesday, Jan. 1 – 8:45 p.m. ET, ESPN
Allstate Sugar Bowl

Playoff Semifinals

Thursday, Jan. 9 – 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
Capital One Orange Bowl
Friday, Jan. 10 – 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
Goodyear Cotton Bowl

National Championship
Monday, Jan. 20 – 7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN

Out of 20 possible tiers (well he split tier 5 into a and b, so 21) ranking the QBs of college FB, Espn+ ranked Haynes King into Tier 5a:

TIER 5a: The Transfer Market II: Endgame (eight players)
Florida's Graham Mertz, D.J. Lagway
Georgia Tech's Haynes King, Zach Pyron
Virginia Tech's Kyron Drones, Collin Schlee
Oklahoma State's Alan Bowman, Garret Rangel

We're still in the very early stages of properly evaluating the impact of the transfer portal on QB play around the country, but last year's numbers tell a pretty clear story. There were 113 FBS quarterbacks who started at least eight games. That group can be separated into three distinct categories: homegrown talent, first-year transfers and transfers who had been on campus for more than one season.

Dig into those three camps and you'll see a stark difference between them:

Homegrown talent (48 QBs): 60.0 Total QBR, 61.9% completions, 2.2-to-1 TD:TO ratio, 6.8 yards per dropback
First-year transfers (36 QBs): 58.1 Total QBR, 62.1% completions, 1.9-to-1 TD:TO ratio, 6.4 yards per dropback
Multiyear transfers (29 QBs): 70.0 Total QBR, 65% completions, 3-to-1 TD:TO ratio, 7.4 yards per dropback

What does this mean exactly? Could be nothing. After all, it's a one-year sample set, and some of those multiyear quarterbacks were established successes even in 2022 (Penix, Nix, Gabriel, Williams).

But it could also be that success is correlated with familiarity of a system and comfort in an offense, and so Year 2 (or beyond) starters are simply better. This makes some intuitive sense, which leads to a better question: Who might be best primed to take a leap in Year 2 after a transfer in 2024?

Mertz, King, Drones and Bowman look like the obvious choices. All had some degree of success in Year 1 at their new schools, but all should be well-positioned to take another step in Year 2, with some pretty clear areas in need of improvement.

What you need to know:

A comparison:
QB A: 18 starts, 59.9% completions, 6.92 yards/dropback, 44 total TDs, 23 turnovers, 4,819 total yards
QB B: 17 starts, 60.1% completions, 6.92 yards/dropback, 46 total TDs, 15 turnovers, 4,192 total yards

Aside from those pesky turnovers, you'd certainly say they're incredibly similar in their production, right? QB A shouldered a bigger load for his offense, so perhaps the turnovers aren't a surprise.

Who are they? QB A is the career starts for Georgia Tech's King, who flourished after escaping Jimbo Fisher's offense at Texas A&M but clearly has some room to cut back on the mistakes. QB B is the career starting stats for Ohio State's Howard, who figures to be the most important transfer quarterback of the 2024 season. We'd wager few Ohio State fans are excited about their quarterback looking a lot like King, but it might actually be a credit to what King could do in 2024 instead.

Playoff-era ACC QBs to throw for 2,800 yards and 25 touchdowns and rush for 700 yards and 10 touchdowns: Lamar Jackson (twice), Deshaun Watson, Jerod Evans and King.

SEC quarterbacks to complete 70% of their throws, have 20 pass touchdowns and no more than six turnovers in a season over the past 20 years: LSU's Daniels, Alabama's Mac Jones and Tua Tagovailoa and ... Florida's Mertz.

An odd split for Oklahoma State's Bowman in 2024: When pressured, he was relatively smart with the football, tossing five TDs and just two interceptions. When not pressured, though? Ten TD passes and 12 picks.

Virginia Tech's Drones looks like an emerging star after the way the Hokies finished the 2023 season, but it's worth noting his emergence also came with a pretty light schedule. And when things got tougher, he struggled. In three games vs. top-40 (by efficiency), he posted a 46.4 Total QBR, 55.1% completions, 5.1 yards-per-pass, 3 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. Virginia Tech lost all three games.

No Power 5 QB had a higher percentage of his pass attempts come from outside the pocket in 2023 than Drones. He actually completed a higher percentage of his throws (60.2%) outside the pocket than inside (57.4%).

What kind of BS is this? First of all, every game is must watch for a GT fan. Second, how in the hell is COFH only #4?
How the hell is the Georgia State game even on this list?

Last edited:
This obviously has nothing to do with the overall topic for this thread, but I didn't want to create a new thread just for it, and it al least does relate to college football FANS at one school --- Texas A&M. This comes from the intro for a book being used in a singles group at my church, of which I am one of the leaders. I always knew that A&M fans, especially the students, were fanatics, but I sure never knew this ---

Attachments

• Singles group intro 1.jpg
    Singles group intro 1.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 118
  • Singles group intro 2.jpg
    Singles group intro 2.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 119
This obviously has nothing to do with the overall topic for this thread, but I didn't want to create a new thread just for it, and it al least does relate to college football FANS at one school --- Texas A&M. This comes from the intro for a book being used in a singles group at my church, of which I am one of the leaders. I always knew that A&M fans, especially the students, were fanatics, but I sure never knew this ---

"look to your left, look to your right"

Not sure how many of you know, nor care, but Sirius/XM ACC Channel no longer has any daily shows. First it was Packer & Durham cancelled, now ACC Today has been cancelled. The ACC Channel will no longer have daily live shows (there will be a live show of some sort 3x a week). Reportedly the financial backing of the league is no longer there. Swafford’s disaster leadership continues to have the trickle down as he gets millions in retirement, and the conference is doing whatever it can to stay together as a P4 conference. Hindsight is 20/20, but most of us who follow CFB knew some of the Big East additions in expansion would not benefit the league from a football standpoint. And here we are in 2024.

Not Just an Athletic Conference! USNWR rankings for The ACC schools:

#3: Stanford
#7: Duke
#15: Cal
#20: ND
#22: UNC
#24: UVA
#33: GT
#39: BC
#47: VT
#47: WF
#53: FSU