CATCHALL GTFLETCH COLLEGE FOOTBALL NEWS THREAD

The Fanning Center ( Named for alumnus Thomas Fanning, a $85 million project) is expected to be completed in 2026. Demolition of the Edge Center has not yet begun, although work to clear and prep the interior of that building has been well underway.
I think he went to the old Sandy Springs High School. I know his brother did.

As I look at the seventeen coaches I would not trade Brent Key for any of them. Obviously, Dabo has done more by a long shot, but I am not sure he is going to thrive as much in the new world of college football. Brown has done a lot over the years, but he is old. Clawson, Doeren and Narduzzi have done well at their schools, but I still would not trade. Brohm would be the most tempting choice. I think we have the right guy.

hope that sham of a ranking pisses him off so that next year he will tell the guy, "öööö you, take your top 10 and shove it up your ass. Where did you coach?"

That would be like one of up making up a ranking.

So the upper north is losing 218, 219, the largest bathroom, and a concession stand for a building. Nothing says BIG10 invite like a shrinking stadium. I think we are waving the white flag and are looking at eventually grovelling to the BIG12.

So the upper north is losing 218, 219, the largest bathroom, and a concession stand for a building. Nothing says BIG10 invite like a shrinking stadium. I think we are waving the white flag and are looking at eventually grovelling to the BIG12.
We're adding a new building that has to eat into the stadium facade, it's not like they're announcing removing the upper north just for the sake of removing empty sections. I think we have to wait and let this play out over the next 5-10 years to see what other updates and changes take place before we can say what the trajectory here is.

That said, JBatt would be wise to get infront of this as a normal facelift to the oldest on campus stadium in the country to make the sure the narrative doesn't become "Tech is removing seats".

We're adding a new building that has to eat into the stadium facade, it's not like they're announcing removing the upper north just for the sake of removing empty sections. I think we have to wait and let this play out over the next 5-10 years to see what other updates and changes take place before we can say what the trajectory here is.

That said, JBatt would be wise to get infront of this as a normal facelift to the oldest on campus stadium in the country to make the sure the narrative doesn't become "Tech is removing seats".
It already is about removing seats, according to gagger coworker.

Nothing says BIG10 invite like a shrinking stadium. I think we are waving the white flag and are looking at eventually grovelling to the BIG12.
Northwestern just dropped $800M to reduce their capacity from 47k to 35k.

I thought the NCAA tournament already paid out based on wins?
Final count from the 2024 Tournament:

ACC: 17 (5 bids, 12 wins)
SEC: 16 (8 bids, 8 wins)
B1G: 15 (6 bids, 9 wins)
B12: 15 (8 bids, 7 wins)
BE: 11 (3 bids, 8 wins)
P12: 10 (4 bids, 6 wins)
MWC: 10 (6 bids, 4 wins)
A10: 4 (2 bids, 2 wins)
WCC: 4 (2 bids, 2 wins)

The success of the ACC and Big East certainly despite limited bids suggests that the Tournament Committee did a poor job evaluating those conferences. As the Committee relies heavily on metrics such as the NET Rankings, these metrics may not be adequately capturing the quality of these conferences.

One element may be the 20 game conference schedule used by both the ACC and Big East. The SEC and B12, which each garnered 8 bids, play 18 game conference schedules. The MWC, which received 6 bids, also plays 18 conference games. The Big Ten and Pac 12, both of which play 20 conference games, had a large number of wins in the tournament relative to the number of bids received. OOC games are critical to the comparison of the relative strength of conferences. Without understanding how it works, the NET Ranking formula may favor playing a larger number of OOC games.

Final count from the 2024 Tournament:

ACC: 17 (5 bids, 12 wins)
SEC: 16 (8 bids, 8 wins)
B1G: 15 (6 bids, 9 wins)
B12: 15 (8 bids, 7 wins)
BE: 11 (3 bids, 8 wins)
P12: 10 (4 bids, 6 wins)
MWC: 10 (6 bids, 4 wins)
A10: 4 (2 bids, 2 wins)
WCC: 4 (2 bids, 2 wins)

The success of the ACC and Big East certainly despite limited bids suggests that the Tournament Committee did a poor job evaluating those conferences. As the Committee relies heavily on metrics such as the NET Rankings, these metrics may not be adequately capturing the quality of these conferences.

One element may be the 20 game conference schedule used by both the ACC and Big East. The SEC and B12, which each garnered 8 bids, play 18 game conference schedules. The MWC, which received 6 bids, also plays 18 conference games. The Big Ten and Pac 12, both of which play 20 conference games, had a large number of wins in the tournament relative to the number of bids received. OOC games are critical to the comparison of the relative strength of conferences. Without understanding how it works, the NET Ranking formula may favor playing a larger number of OOC games.

How does that answer my question of whether the NCAA tournament already pays out based on wins?

Too late

Yep, the spin is on.

Screenshot_20240404-051433~2.png

I guess we just need to grovel to UCF, who is spending $80 million to expand their stadium, to get into the BIG12.

How does that answer my question of whether the NCAA tournament already pays out based on wins?
The short answer to your original question is yes. The long answer is partially described by the list @GTFLETCH provided. Each conference receives what the NCAA calls a unit (post your mom jokes now) for each automatic bid, at large bid, and win. Each year's payout is based on a six-year rolling average of units earned by the conference.

Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Members Enrollment Comparison
The following list summarizes the colleges having the most students by gender, school level, and enrollment types.

* Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus has the largest number of students including both undergraduate and graduate schools of 45,296.
* Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus
has the largest number of male students of 30,704.
* Florida State University has the largest number of female students of 25,809.
* Florida State University has the most undergraduate students of 32,936.
* Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus has the most graduate students of 26,881.
* Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus has the most online enrollment of 19,398 students who are enrolled online exclusively.

NEW ACC July 2024

Enrollment / Institution
1. 47,961 - Georgia Tech
2. 45,493 - Florida State
3. 45,307 - Cal
4. 36,383 - Virginia Tech
5. 36,304 - NC State
6. 30,011 - North Carolina
7. 28,391 - Pitt
8. 25,822 - Clemson
9. 25,018 - Virginia
10. 21,430 - Louisville
11. 21,322 - Syracuse
12. 17,811 - Miami
13. 17,326 - Stanford
14. 16,780 - Duke
15. 14,890 - Boston College
16. 12,681 - Notre Dame
17. 12,373 - SMU
18. 8,789 - Wake Forest

Link

Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Members Enrollment Comparison
The following list summarizes the colleges having the most students by gender, school level, and enrollment types.

* Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus has the largest number of students including both undergraduate and graduate schools of 45,296.
* Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus
has the largest number of male students of 30,704.
* Florida State University has the largest number of female students of 25,809.
* Florida State University has the most undergraduate students of 32,936.
* Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus has the most graduate students of 26,881.
* Georgia Institute of Technology-Main Campus has the most online enrollment of 19,398 students who are enrolled online exclusively.

NEW ACC July 2024

Enrollment / Institution
1. 47,961 - Georgia Tech
2. 45,493 - Florida State
3. 45,307 - Cal
4. 36,383 - Virginia Tech
5. 36,304 - NC State
6. 30,011 - North Carolina
7. 28,391 - Pitt
8. 25,822 - Clemson
9. 25,018 - Virginia
10. 21,430 - Louisville
11. 21,322 - Syracuse
12. 17,811 - Miami
13. 17,326 - Stanford
14. 16,780 - Duke
15. 14,890 - Boston College
16. 12,681 - Notre Dame
17. 12,373 - SMU
18. 8,789 - Wake Forest

Link
I must have missed the football part of this news.

Yep, the spin is on.

Screenshot_20240404-051433~2.png

I guess we just need to grovel to UCF, who is spending $80 million to expand their stadium, to get into the BIG12.
Lol at this negative framing of facilities upgrades

NCAA is now looking to implement new transfer eligibility rules. More or less there will be no transfer limit / no longer having to sit if the player is academically eligible. Another move the NCAA has no other option but to make. The power they have continues to dwindle by the day / week.

Back