CGC is a marketing genius

As it should be, from the father of a kid who can anaphylax from peanuts
You know, I’ve wondered about this. I’m sure your kid knows to stay away from peanuts. Does he really need my kid not to bring a pb&j to school? I think it’s total bs, but I could change my mind.

You know, I’ve wondered about this. I’m sure your kid knows to stay away from peanuts. Does he really need my kid not to bring a pb&j to school? I think it’s total bs, but I could change my mind.

He is 12 months old.
His reaction was not even to ingesting peanut butter. My wife had peanut butter on her finger - you could smell it but not even see any peanut butter. Gave him a bath and all hell broke loose.
A kid with a fish allergy died in D.C. two weeks ago from the smell of fish being cooked nearby, never came in contact with it.
Some of these food allergies are no joke.
I'm not hell bent on what you do with your kids. My daughter goes to a private school and their policy is that if one kid has a food allergy no one in the class can have that food; it's not even that big of a deal since all their snacks and meals are school provided. I'm sending my son there because we like the school and now because of the food policy. This has definitely been a change for my wife and I since our scare. We know that his next exposure will result in a more violent and dangerous allergic reaction and that's the scary part, because it may happen when he's not with us.

Some kids can get sick from physical contact with even small amounts of the stuff. If the consequence was a runny nose or rash, I would say no biggie. But with a life threatening allergy, an abundance of caution makes sense to me. My kid is allergic to shrimp and I won't even take him inside an asian restaurant.

As far as I know, these policies of banning peanut butter or other common allergens are relatively new.

I see the reasoning behind them, but my question is what happened before? Did kids just get violently ill or die relatively frequently? Or have deathly allergies gotten more common in the recent past?

This isn't really genius -- it doesn't take a genius to know that helicoptering into a high school will turn people's heads. It's been done plenty of times in the past, and rarely for its logistical advantages.

This is just a guy who knows how important recruiting and image are, and is willing to actually put in the work (and money) to do it. He's acting like our program is on the same level and has the same goals as top tier programs, and it's definitely refreshing. Hopefully it translates into landing some of the same commits as top-tier programs.

Totally agree with you! The helicopter thing is really great but not necessarily an example of his marketing prowess. But if you look at everything else he's doing it shows why I think of Collins as something of a modern, grassroots marketing savant. He does things that connect to people. He's working extremely hard to make GT and ATL connected at the hip. Today he tweeted a thank you to Big Boi for two ATL baseball caps. The picture had a bookcase with both hats, several Broyles Awards, some Star Wars memorabilia, and a GT helmet. He says he can't wait to see Big Boi perform at halftime of the SB and then @mentions Calvin Johnson, the Broyles Award, Big Boi again, and the official Star Wars twitter handle (not really that meaningful but put it in for completeness). He's continuing to solidify a connection between an ATL guy and GT football. Just like he continues to do that with Waffle House. And he's publicly connected hard with the Adidas programs and speaking the same language they do. We haven't played a down of football yet and people outside the program are already more vocally excited about what's happening here. That's what I mean by grassroots marketing.

Some kids can get sick from physical contact with even small amounts of the stuff. If the consequence was a runny nose or rash, I would say no biggie. But with a life threatening allergy, an abundance of caution makes sense to me. My kid is allergic to shrimp and I won't even take him inside an asian restaurant.

My kid's peanut IGE levels are ridiculous, my wife and have cut out one of our favorite dinner spots, a Thai place in Brookhaven. We used to go to a local Thai place in east cobb monthly and we won't be doing that anymore.

Totally agree with you! The helicopter thing is really great but not necessarily an example of his marketing prowess. But if you look at everything else he's doing it shows why I think of Collins as something of a modern, grassroots marketing savant. He does things that connect to people. He's working extremely hard to make GT and ATL connected at the hip. Today he tweeted a thank you to Big Boi for two ATL baseball caps. The picture had a bookcase with both hats, several Broyles Awards, some Star Wars memorabilia, and a GT helmet. He says he can't wait to see Big Boi perform at halftime of the SB and then @mentions Calvin Johnson, the Broyles Award, Big Boi again, and the official Star Wars twitter handle (not really that meaningful but put it in for completeness). He's continuing to solidify a connection between an ATL guy and GT football. Just like he continues to do that with Waffle House. And he's publicly connected hard with the Adidas programs and speaking the same language they do. We haven't played a down of football yet and people outside the program are already more vocally excited about what's happening here. That's what I mean by grassroots marketing.

Absolutely. CCG very well may be a marketing genius overall. Time will tell -- but so far what he's been doing in a short time has been extremely impressive. Hopefully it translates into on-field results.

He is 12 months old.
His reaction was not even to ingesting peanut butter. My wife had peanut butter on her finger - you could smell it but not even see any peanut butter. Gave him a bath and all hell broke loose.
A kid with a fish allergy died in D.C. two weeks ago from the smell of fish being cooked nearby, never came in contact with it.
Some of these food allergies are no joke.
I'm not hell bent on what you do with your kids. My daughter goes to a private school and their policy is that if one kid has a food allergy no one in the class can have that food; it's not even that big of a deal since all their snacks and meals are school provided. I'm sending my son there because we like the school and now because of the food policy. This has definitely been a change for my wife and I since our scare. We know that his next exposure will result in a more violent and dangerous allergic reaction and that's the scary part, because it may happen when he's not with us.
I’ve been in the hospital with an allergic reaction to shellfish twice, and I’ve had to take my son to the hospital with an allergic reaction, so I understand where you’re coming from. As Andrew said, I don’t know if this problem has gotten worse or if we have just started pandering to the parents of kids with allergies. My guess is it’s probably the latter.

I’ve been in the hospital with an allergic reaction to shellfish twice, and I’ve had to take my son to the hospital with an allergic reaction, so I understand where you’re coming from. As Andrew said, I don’t know if this problem has gotten worse or if we have just started pandering to the parents of kids with allergies. My guess is it’s probably the latter.

I don't know the answer; we've only been in this allergy world for 2 weeks now with our son. I was indifferent to the food policies of places before but obviously now appreciate them. I'm not sure I agree with "pandering". I think its a liability for all these establishments and not worth the hassle. Way easier to say "no peanut butter for anyone" rather than "here's a settlement check, sorry for your loss".

It has definitely gotten worse. There are a lot of theories as to why, but no consensus.

So, back to helicopters....yeah.

I don't know the answer; we've only been in this allergy world for 2 weeks now with our son. I was indifferent to the food policies of places before but obviously now appreciate them. I'm not sure I agree with "pandering". I think its a liability for all these establishments and not worth the hassle. Way easier to say "no peanut butter for anyone" rather than "here's a settlement check, sorry for your loss".
It's getting more common. I cannot remember one classmate with a food allergy-ever. The word autism didn't exist. DeKalb County sixty years ago must have been very healthy.

Damn lawyers ruining my pb&j.

This isn't really genius -- it doesn't take a genius to know that helicoptering into a high school will turn people's heads. It's been done plenty of times in the past, and rarely for its logistical advantages.

This is just a guy who knows how important recruiting and image are, and is willing to actually put in the work (and money) to do it. He's acting like our program is on the same level and has the same goals as top tier programs, and it's definitely refreshing. Hopefully it translates into landing some of the same commits as top-tier programs.
This is like Kirby taking the helicopter to Clarke Central, Cedar Shoals, and North Oconee. It is genius. It is not efficient and it is costly to take a helicopter rather than driving 5-7 miles with no traffic but it is telling South Fulton kids you are just as important as North Fulton/Gwinnett/Cobb kids. I assure you this made a lot of GT fans with the parents and administration of the kids at these schools.

Actually, the first day he used the copter to also fly down to Schley County. That's 3 hours south of Atlanta. He did that as well as hitting 4 schools around Atlanta.
He's used it a total of 3 days now and the genius part of it is all he had to do was ask.
When he first came to GT, at a meeting with TStan and some big-time donors, they asked what he needed to be successful. He said a private jet and a helicopter would be huge. Up comes the Waffle House jets (plus the jet of another private donor, I believe) and one of the guys with a helicopter made it available for use. Turns out it was there for use before but nobody apparently asked to use it.

Not to take away from your point but if I had a choice of schlepping around in a rusted out 1986 F150 or zipping around in a WaHo chopper, I think chopper would be a strong lean.
Was this a thing? I know CPJ had a Mercedes GLS class SUV. But the cars we reference to make a comparison are getting öööötier and öööötier.

2spyj8.jpg

Back