Coaching Search Update

What are the thoughts re Garret Riley at TCU ?
Has he ever been a head coach in any capacity? I'm not dogging the pick, I'm curious because he seems awfully young. I love the TCU offense.

Do not want a hot coordinator. Let the small schools experiment with them.

Like the list would’ve like Cignetti on there as well, but I understand his not being included.

Has he ever been a head coach in any capacity? I'm not dogging the pick, I'm curious because he seems awfully young. I love the TCU offense.
Uh yeah, he's two years younger than me. What the öööö is going on. And no HC EXP.

Screenshot_20221110-141717_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20221110-141717_Firefox.jpg

You dumb öööös with your "head coach experience" lunacy.

You know who has lots of HC experience? CGC.

You know who got hired at a big time program (MUCH bigger than Tech's) with no prior HC experience? Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma.

Who else got hired with no prior HC experience? Ryan Day (tOSU). Kirby Smart (ugag). Dabo Swinney (South Carolina Cow College). Dan Lanning (Oregon). Hell, it's conceivable that the head coaches of three out of foure teams in the playoffs were hired by their schools with no prior HC experience.

So, please. Stop with this nonsense.

Geoff Collins only had two years of head coaching experience when we hired him, during which he was 15-10 with his final game being a 56-27 trouncing at the hands of Duke.

In retrospect, maybe not the best hire.
Nah I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

You know who got hired at a big time program (MUCH bigger than Tech's) with no prior HC experience? Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma.

Who else got hired with no prior HC experience? Ryan Day (tOSU). Kirby Smart (ugag). Dabo Swinney (South Carolina Cow College). Dan Lanning (Oregon). Hell, it's conceivable that the head coaches of three out of foure teams in the playoffs were hired by their schools with no prior HC experience.

I would like to throw in my two cents in this debate.

College football 2022 is radically different than college football just a few years ago. In the past, there was a massive priority on not putting in an unproven coach that would crash your program because it took years to build a program back up. You had to recruit players and then coach them up and that took years. There was a massive fear of risk for good reason.

That does not exist now. If CPJ had left after the portal changes, it would not have been a big deal to switch from the triple to a pro offense. You just go out and pick up players from the portal.

So if I was in charge I would be very tempted to hire someone like that who is young and insanely motivated. (Or someone like Deion who brings massive intangibles.)

Partly because it is a wise gamble in my mind. You can get most coordinators way cheaper than you can steal an existing HC from another team. And while the downside in a "youngster" may be higher, the upside is likely higher too.

Obviously this assumes the unproven guy will take a reasonable salary with minimal buyout in exchange for a chance to be "The Man". You want that guy, not the guy who is into this carefully calculating what would earn him the most money long term. You want the guy that is confident enough to know that if it doesn't work out as a HC, he can fall back and be a coordinator again.

Also, you want a guy so arrogant and confident in their abilities that they think of GT as a stepping stone to the "bluebloods".

I don't know if the TCU guy is that guy, I am just making the point that 2022 is a new era. No reason to restrict yourself to "established coaches". The portal removes the penalty for taking a "fail quick/fail cheap" mentality and aiming for the stars. Therefore allowing bold ADs to take bigger risks on who you hire. We would do well to take the same approach with basketball and see if we can find a guy with the basketball brains of Pastner but with a world class magnetic, infectious personality more like Tashard Choice or Roddy Jones have (or Deion Sanders).

Houston has a pretty good resume. The trajectory of every team he's coached has been up. Seems like someone to give a look.

Houston is similar to Fritz in terms of winning everywhere he goes and also in doing rebuilds. I'd be happy with either, but I believe Fritz would stick around until he retired.

Riley is who I have wanted from the start. He is an offensive star connected to the Mike Leach line of offensive stars. If he had two years of experience, like say, Geoff Collins had, then would you naysayers approve? He would be a risk with a huge upside.

I guess hiring hot coordinators is a really bad idea. How could you ever make the playoffs? (Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart; I know we aren’t Georgia, Ohio State or Oklahoma). Stoops at Kentucky has worked out well. I would surely want to talk with him.

College football 2022 is radically different than college football just a few years ago. In the past, there was a massive priority on not putting in an unproven coach that would crash your program because it took years to build a program back up. You had to recruit players and then coach them up and that took years. There was a massive fear of risk for good reason.

That does not exist now. If CPJ had left after the portal changes, it would not have been a big deal to switch from the triple to a pro offense. You just go out and pick up players from the portal.

Honest question because I don't really know: have we actually seen a successful team where a significant number of their players were from the portal? I know the portal has helped great in individual instances (hell, several of our own former players are making impacts on other teams), but I'm skeptical of the notion of a team taking a large number of players from the portal and still being successful.

I see the portal as more of a way to plug a specific need or two rather than a replacement for normal recruiting or program continuity.

GT once had Steve Spurrier on staff. Oh, I can only dream about if we had taken the risk (like Duke did) yet were able to pay him to stay. See his GT bio below:

Georgia Tech (1979)[edit]
Spurrier was unsure if he wanted to continue pursuing a coaching career after his unpleasant experience at Florida, stating that he would only accept a position "if the opportunity was really right."[51] In 1979, he accepted an offer to become the quarterbacks coach at Georgia Tech under head coach Pepper Rodgers, who had been an offensive assistant at Florida when Spurrier was the quarterback.[53]

Like Dickey at Florida, Rodgers sought to shift Georgia Tech's offense from a wishbone attack to a more passing-oriented offense. And also like Dickey, Rodgers's efforts did not produce immediate results. The Yellow Jackets began the season 1-5-1 and did not score more than 14 points against a Division I-A opponent over its first seven games. Spurrier, who had not been tasked with constructing a game plan and had seldom been allowed to call plays up to that point, asked Coach Rodgers for a larger role on the staff and was allowed to take control of the offense for the eighth game of the season, against Duke.[12] Georgia Tech surprised Duke with a more aggressive offense than they'd run all year, and the Yellow Jackets won, 24–14. With Spurrier continuing to call plays, Georgia Tech won the next two games as well, scoring over 20 points in both contests and setting a Georgia Tech record for passing yardage in a season. But the campaign ended with a 16–3 loss to archrival Georgia, dropping Georgia Tech to 4-6-1 overall and leading to Rodgers' dismissal.[54]

Spurrier asked incoming head coach Bill Curry if he would be retained as Georgia Tech's quarterback coach and was told that he was one of "two or three" candidates for the job, prompting him to seek employment elsewhere.[12] Spurrier would not forget being dismissed by Curry in 1980. In later years, Spurrier repeatedly mentioned his perfect record (6-0) against Curry's teams when they met as head coaches, often by very lopsided margins.[55][56]

Seriously. If they were a good HC with P5 experience, they wouldn't be interviewing at GT.

I'd be on board with Riley (after Prime, obviously). Or we can just find some reject like BOB and be prepared to pony up the inevitable buyout in 3-4 years.

Riley is who I have wanted from the start. He is an offensive star connected to the Mike Leach line of offensive stars. If he had two years of experience, like say, Geoff Collins had, then would you naysayers approve? He would be a risk with a huge upside.

I guess hiring hot coordinators is a really bad idea. How could you ever make the playoffs? (Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, Kirby Smart; I know we aren’t Georgia, Ohio State or Oklahoma). Stoops at Kentucky has worked out well. I would surely want to talk with him.
Garrett Riley would be a steal. If we could snag him we would be damn lucky. He is going to win a lot of games somewhere. He is my first choice by far.

I've listed my other favorites before, and I'll do it again. I have limited my list to RealVille - guys we at least have a chance to hire.

Next up would be Corey Dennis.

Other guys I would try to hire include Morgan Scalley, Kenny Dillingham, Kendal Briles. Maybe Liam Cohen.

Ignoring the main point for now, that list of examples is dumb as all hell. Yeah, we can hire someone with no HC experience and it'll go just like it did at some of the richest programs in college football. Also all of those programs except maybe Clemson were doing very well under the previous head coaches, and Clemson was at least still doing ok, not coming off of maybe 4 losing seasons in a row. There are probably other examples out there that could prove your point, but those ones ain't good.

Back