Coaching Search Update

GT once had Steve Spurrier on staff. Oh, I can only dream about if we had taken the risk (like Duke did) yet were able to pay him to stay. See his GT bio below:

Georgia Tech (1979)[edit]
Spurrier was unsure if he wanted to continue pursuing a coaching career after his unpleasant experience at Florida, stating that he would only accept a position "if the opportunity was really right."[51] In 1979, he accepted an offer to become the quarterbacks coach at Georgia Tech under head coach Pepper Rodgers, who had been an offensive assistant at Florida when Spurrier was the quarterback.[53]

Like Dickey at Florida, Rodgers sought to shift Georgia Tech's offense from a wishbone attack to a more passing-oriented offense. And also like Dickey, Rodgers's efforts did not produce immediate results. The Yellow Jackets began the season 1-5-1 and did not score more than 14 points against a Division I-A opponent over its first seven games. Spurrier, who had not been tasked with constructing a game plan and had seldom been allowed to call plays up to that point, asked Coach Rodgers for a larger role on the staff and was allowed to take control of the offense for the eighth game of the season, against Duke.[12] Georgia Tech surprised Duke with a more aggressive offense than they'd run all year, and the Yellow Jackets won, 24–14. With Spurrier continuing to call plays, Georgia Tech won the next two games as well, scoring over 20 points in both contests and setting a Georgia Tech record for passing yardage in a season. But the campaign ended with a 16–3 loss to archrival Georgia, dropping Georgia Tech to 4-6-1 overall and leading to Rodgers' dismissal.[54]

Spurrier asked incoming head coach Bill Curry if he would be retained as Georgia Tech's quarterback coach and was told that he was one of "two or three" candidates for the job, prompting him to seek employment elsewhere.[12] Spurrier would not forget being dismissed by Curry in 1980. In later years, Spurrier repeatedly mentioned his perfect record (6-0) against Curry's teams when they met as head coaches, often by very lopsided margins.[55][56]
I was at Tech at the time. Met Pepper and Spurier more than once. Pepper was fun. I was from Florida so I knew about Spurrier from the time I was a kid. Folks down there were pissed that the Dolphins drafted Griese over him. In 1979 I had no idea that he was becoming what he was becoming, but once I saw the success he was having with Duke's offense, and then with the Bandits, I was pretty bitter that we missed out. Homer Rice showed up the year that Spurrier left . . . maybe if he came a year earlier, things would have turned out differently.

I was at Tech at the time. Met Pepper and Spurier more than once. Pepper was fun. I was from Florida so I knew about Spurrier from the time I was a kid. Folks down there were pissed that the Dolphins drafted Griese over him. In 1979 I had no idea that he was becoming what he was becoming, but once I saw the success he was having with Duke's offense, and then with the Bandits, I was pretty bitter that we missed out. Homer Rice showed up the year that Spurrier left . . . maybe if he came a year earlier, things would have turned out differently.
Was tough times. I still say Spurrier still would’ve gone back to Florida.

Ignoring the main point for now, that list of examples is dumb as all hell. Yeah, we can hire someone with no HC experience and it'll go just like it did at some of the richest programs in college football. Also all of those programs except maybe Clemson were doing very well under the previous head coaches, and Clemson was at least still doing ok, not coming off of maybe 4 losing seasons in a row. There are probably other examples out there that could prove your point, but those ones ain't good.
What a stupid ööööing post.

Haven't you read this thread and the assholes here saying that hiring unproven assistant coaches with no prior head coaching experience is only something for "small schools" - not Tech!!!?

Which I think my post conclusively disproved. And which was the point.

And now YOU come along and read my post and say, that only works with "the richest programs in college football!"

Apparently it will ONLY work for small programs, or big rich programs . . . anyone but Tech! ROTFLMFAO!! Buncha ööööing losers.

I could give you a list of "small schools" that ALSO hired unproven assistants with no HC experience with great success, but that already seemed to be conceded here. I could give you Bob Stoops (Oklahoma hadn't had a winning season in six years before him), And anyway, it would all clearly be wasted on you if you don't even already ööööing realize that George O'Leary had ZERO head coaching experience before Tech - and he is the first or second most successful coach we've had in the past 30 years.

Again, what a stupid ööööing post. Instead of stupid öööö like this, why don't you tell us why we need to hire someone with prior HC experience. And better yet give us your candidates!

Was tough times. I still say Spurrier still would’ve gone back to Florida.
Agreed, he would have. But if he was given a chance at GT he could have turned the tide from us becoming irrelevant before he left. I love what Spurrier did to Curry when they met. That’s the difference between a winner and loser. Curry has been and continues to be dead to me. He is a fraud who parlayed a few years as a player into a career he didn’t deserve. His coaching record is 93-128-4 yet folks treat him like an important part of GT history. He’s a fraud and I Iove that Spurrier pulled his pants down in front of the world every time they met on the field.

Honest question because I don't really know: have we actually seen a successful team where a significant number of their players were from the portal? I know the portal has helped great in individual instances (hell, several of our own former players are making impacts on other teams), but I'm skeptical of the notion of a team taking a large number of players from the portal and still being successful.

I see the portal as more of a way to plug a specific need or two rather than a replacement for normal recruiting or program continuity.
Why would you be skeptical? I dont see any reason to be skeptical. But let me say I'm not talking about collecting portal players and making the playoffs in year one. I am convinced that a great coaching staff could make a bowl game with our schedule with primarily portal players in year 1.

Garrett Riley would be a steal. If we could snag him we would be damn lucky. He is going to win a lot of games somewhere. He is my first choice by far.

I've listed my other favorites before, and I'll do it again. I have limited my list to RealVille - guys we at least have a chance to hire.

Next up would be Corey Dennis.

Other guys I would try to hire include Morgan Scalley, Kenny Dillingham, Kendal Briles. Maybe Liam Cohen.
Corey Dennis? Are you drunk?

The bigger the budget, the easier it is to make a mistake. Look at the "big name" coaches who have face-planted lately - Frost, drawing blanks but a lot of the "can't miss" hires have missed badly. I stated elsewhere that I don't think we can afford another mistake. We aren't Auburn with a blank checkbook each time we screw up. Whoever we hire has to work out or we are dead (financially).

There are a lot of good coaches out there who deserve a shot at running a P5 school that we can get for a modest (starting) salary and a modest buyout. We just need to find the right one.

So, in short, I don't think a blank check is the answer - that just allows the AD to make a popular, defensible hire without doing any due diligence.
If you go “budget” on a HC, and go “budget” on his staff, and “budget” on recruiting etc……we end up right back here again in a couple years.

GT once had Steve Spurrier on staff. Oh, I can only dream about if we had taken the risk (like Duke did) yet were able to pay him to stay. See his GT bio below:

Georgia Tech (1979)[edit]
Spurrier was unsure if he wanted to continue pursuing a coaching career after his unpleasant experience at Florida, stating that he would only accept a position "if the opportunity was really right."[51] In 1979, he accepted an offer to become the quarterbacks coach at Georgia Tech under head coach Pepper Rodgers, who had been an offensive assistant at Florida when Spurrier was the quarterback.[53]

Like Dickey at Florida, Rodgers sought to shift Georgia Tech's offense from a wishbone attack to a more passing-oriented offense. And also like Dickey, Rodgers's efforts did not produce immediate results. The Yellow Jackets began the season 1-5-1 and did not score more than 14 points against a Division I-A opponent over its first seven games. Spurrier, who had not been tasked with constructing a game plan and had seldom been allowed to call plays up to that point, asked Coach Rodgers for a larger role on the staff and was allowed to take control of the offense for the eighth game of the season, against Duke.[12] Georgia Tech surprised Duke with a more aggressive offense than they'd run all year, and the Yellow Jackets won, 24–14. With Spurrier continuing to call plays, Georgia Tech won the next two games as well, scoring over 20 points in both contests and setting a Georgia Tech record for passing yardage in a season. But the campaign ended with a 16–3 loss to archrival Georgia, dropping Georgia Tech to 4-6-1 overall and leading to Rodgers' dismissal.[54]

Spurrier asked incoming head coach Bill Curry if he would be retained as Georgia Tech's quarterback coach and was told that he was one of "two or three" candidates for the job, prompting him to seek employment elsewhere.[12] Spurrier would not forget being dismissed by Curry in 1980. In later years, Spurrier repeatedly mentioned his perfect record (6-0) against Curry's teams when they met as head coaches, often by very lopsided margins.[55][56]
The biggest miss in Tech’s history. Has to be competitive nationally.

Honest question because I don't really know: have we actually seen a successful team where a significant number of their players were from the portal? I know the portal has helped great in individual instances (hell, several of our own former players are making impacts on other teams), but I'm skeptical of the notion of a team taking a large number of players from the portal and still being successful.

I see the portal as more of a way to plug a specific need or two rather than a replacement for normal recruiting or program continuity.

Southern Cal this year. 26 transfers and a lot of them are main components of team.

Not calling you out, but how do we know the folks being contacted and considered?
I have a friend that works in ESPN. What I don't know is the level of interest from each coach. Also, I don't know what GT's pecking order is. My guess is, we'll see a decision made in the next 2-3 weeks.

You don’t think we trade up if Deion arrives?

Let’s just say Prime does GREAT his first two years. That happens, and we are looking for a new coach the next year. Is that what we want? The worst outcome here is we need a new coach real soon. Whether it’s because they suck or they were so good they quit is irrelevant. It will be a bad position to be in.

Let’s just say Prime does GREAT his first two years. That happens, and we are looking for a new coach the next year. Is that what we want? The worst outcome here is we need a new coach real soon. Whether it’s because they suck or they were so good they quit is irrelevant. It will be a bad position to be in.

It’s certainly not irrelevant. If somebody’s goes 2-10 / 1-5 and gets fired halfway through the second season the narrative will be you can’t win at Tech in this new CFB era. If somebody goes 8-4 / 10-2 and gets bought out by Florida the narrative will be look at this sleeping giant in the heart of Atlanta.

But yeah, it’s generally better to have longer tenures throughout staffs.

That is not the worst outcome. The worst outcome is three more 3-9 seasons, causing the fundraising push to fail, attendance to drop to even lower levels than it is right now, us to get left out of the next round of conference realignment, and our athletic department to collapse in on itself financially like a dying star.

The most important thing for us right now is to get some wins and get some excitment back into the program.

Back