Collins will be the coach

I wonder what kind of offense he'll run that will lead half the board to hate it within 18 months.

14 states.

Out of the 24 recruits in that class, Collins got commits from 14 different states. At GT, many of us are of the opinion we need to do a better job recruiting nationally than we have been.

So that’s a very positive sign, imo.
yeah, but he may be forced to recruit with a wider net. How much good HS football is played in New Jersey and eastern PA?
Right now, we don't have the budget to recruit nationally. We've expanded the staff and maybe have become able to look at more players from across the country. But flying coaches all over the place and having them travel isn't cheap.
Even on Bobinski Air, where everybody gets their own cargo jump seat.

Collins has a couple of former Tech guys on his Temple staff, former DB Nathan Burton and former WR coach Stan Hixon.
But this was unsettling in Hixon's bio:

Hixon was the Georgia Tech wide receivers coach in 1999 while Collins was a graduate assistant. Hixon has spent many years under Bill O’Brien and Chan Gailey, two of Collins’ mentors."

Oh öööö no.

22082AD8-F2A2-45D7-A3B3-5E1122A1C321.png

Not sure if this was shown earlier. Godfrey is a solid reporter on coaching changes.

TIL...

(a) CGC and I attended the same middle school. We're, like, besties.

(b) When asked two years ago at Temple if he would be able to tell recruits that he would be their coach for four years, CGC said STTE of, "Right now I'm focused on this press conference, and then I'll be focused on the next step. I'm always focused on what's immediately in front of me." IOW... 'No, I cannot tell them that I'll be here for four years.'

TIL...

(a) CGC and I attended the same middle school. We're, like, besties.

(b) When asked two years ago at Temple if he would be able to tell recruits that he would be their coach for four years, CGC said STTE of, "Right now I'm focused on this press conference, and then I'll be focused on the next step. I'm always focused on what's immediately in front of me." IOW... 'No, I cannot tell them that I'll be here for four years.'

Hopefully he has a different answer if that comes up at his GT presser.

Hopefully he has a different answer if that comes up at his GT presser.
Well, Temple was his "dream job"... so I'd be wary of the coach-speak, whatever he says tomorrow. TBH, there's nothing about him or his background that makes me think he wouldn't take a higher profile, higher paying job if it came along.

My belief, though, is that if we're winning there are very few football jobs that are better than us. Bama, yes, ND, yes, the NFL, yes. But GT will pay plenty of money if he earns it on the field. We gave CPJ big pay raises after each of his first two years. The money's never the problem... it's always the winning.

Well, Temple was his "dream job"... so I'd be wary of the coach-speak, whatever he says tomorrow. TBH, there's nothing about him or his background that makes me think he wouldn't take a higher profile, higher paying job if it came along.

My belief, though, is that if we're winning there are very few football jobs that are better than us. Bama, yes, ND, yes, the NFL, yes. But GT will pay plenty of money if he earns it on the field. We gave CPJ big pay raises after each of his first two years. The money's never the problem... it's always the winning.

If at some point he leaves us for a “destination” coaching job it will mean that he has done VERY well at Tech, i’ll take that...

I wonder what kind of offense he'll run that will lead half the board to hate it within 18 months.
The first thing fans are going to miss is constantly going for it on 4th and short and knowing you are going to make it.

It doesnt take a lot of watching other teams to know how rare that actually is.

The other frustration will be seeing fails from the shotgun on the goalline.

Back