Corn Elder

"Elder said that Jorgenson committing to Tech ill not affect his decision."

I'll believe him if he commits to Tech. That sounds like an "I'm not coming to Tech but Jorgensen isn't the reason" statement.

Lets put it this way...of all the positions on the field we need the least help at it is AB.

Why does everyone think that this is a position of strength? It's the same thing with our B-back position. I've heard people say we're "loaded" at BB and AB. Sure, we have a lot of numbers there but it's not like we have a ton of talent. Godhigh is our best AB and then probably Bostic? Then Zenon? Days? Hill? None of those guys have really shown me much to get excited about this group besides Godhigh and then Bostic as a receiver. I'm not going to lose sleep if he doesn't commit to us either but he could be the best playmaker we've had at AB if he comes and we need one badly.

Why does everyone think that this is a position of strength? It's the same thing with our B-back position. I've heard people say we're "loaded" at BB and AB. Sure, we have a lot of numbers there but it's not like we have a ton of talent. Godhigh is our best AB and then probably Bostic? Then Zenon? Days? Hill? None of those guys have really shown me much to get excited about this group besides Godhigh and then Bostic as a receiver. I'm not going to lose sleep if he doesn't commit to us either but he could be the best playmaker we've had at AB if he comes and we need one badly.

I agree, our best A back going into next year is a guy who can get suplexed, if you think your best player is a guy who can get tossed around like a rag doll, than man...oh man :cool:

None of those guys have really shown me much to get excited about this group besides Godhigh and then Bostic as a receiver. I'm not going to lose sleep if he doesn't commit to us either but he could be the best playmaker we've had at AB if he comes and we need one badly.

How do you know Corn can be a playmaker? What are you basing this on?

Exactly. There is not a single AB on our roster that has proven he can replace Orwin. His loss will be felt.

I agree, our best A back going into next year is a guy who can get suplexed, if you think your best player is a guy who can get tossed around like a rag doll, than man...oh man :cool:

Yup. Godhigh is a player but our ideal AB is bigger...

...and doesn't get suplexed.

I'm not saying he's for sure going to be. I've watched his tape. He has the potential to be a star in our offense and you can tell by watching his tape. He's an impressive athlete. Impressive enough to get an offer from Urban Meyer and some other big programs.

We need athletes like him if we want to take the next step. I know you and others love the 2 star recruits with offers from Troy and Southern Miss and the heart warming walk-on to starter stories but not every walk-on is going to turn into Godhigh and not every 2 star will be as good as Julian Burnett. If we continue to miss on guys like him we will continue to win 6 or 7 games every year.

Elder has a 5th gear and elusiveness that our current batch of A-backs does not possess......

IMO

Hypothetically, if a player had a national merit scholarship, would they have to take the football scholarship? Or could they play as a preferred walk-on?

I believe they could play as a preferred walk-on, but then you're talking about not being on a football scholarship. I would probably want the team to commit to a football scholarship, if it were me.

Knowing how hard it is to be a National Merit Finalist and seeing someone who achieved that, it's almost incomprehensible to me that someone would be able to get a high D1 offer and be a National Merit Finalist. If it happened, that person would be truely exceptional.

not at all true. Line him in the slot in a 3wr pistol form and work him out of that.

Stop thinking about using him as an every down AB in the flex.

You put him off to the side in a 3WR look and use him out of sweeps, the passing game, and D'anthony thomas type options and his blocking responsibility goes down. You run a read option with the QB and BB in the pistol and the slot WR on backside blocking isn't as critical. If the slot WR is playside read, he needs to block BUT by mere formation his block key is now WELL OUTSIDE The tackle box. Unlike in the flexbone which stacks the nickel back or OLB in the tackle block....creating a VERY critical AB arc block need. In the 3 WR spread set, this person is now well outside the 9 gap.

You guys need to stop making excuses and understand how football assignments work. When the OLB in base or Nickel DB flashes out to cover the slot, and you read off the end, all the slot AB has to do is "get in the way"; he doesn't need to execute a perfect scoop or cut, like he would in the flex to seal the edge. The slot wr bringing his assignment out creates space for the QB or BB that is not there in the flex. This is why formations are used in football..DUH, to create angle and number advantages. You sit in the same formation play after play, after play, then yes you can get personnel tendancies. I mean its not like Orwin is a great blocker either.

Paul needs to get more creative. I am sorry. If you do this you can't key on Elder, Snoddy or whoever. Its called being creative. Run inside slot screens in this formation.

If we don't do this with Vad and his capability to throw, its going to be a long season. We need to get speed on the field and stop using blocking out of the traditional flex as an excuse. Get freaking creative.

Great post, and I agree with you. I think it comes down to playmakers; when we had Dwyer and BeBe we were a different offensive creatively. I think we've been limited by Tevin's capabilities, and I believe that we will open up the passing aspects with Vad. If we don't, it will be that much harder to attract a QB to come here.

The announcers for the bowl game stated that in conversations with PJ leading into the game he talked to them about how Vad would allow him to do a ton of different things. You see it when we run the pistol with Vad, which we almost never did with Tevin. If he's got the ability to read and execute multiple formations, and his passing ability comes along, then we should see a more creative offense that let's us do the things you're talking about in this post.

My guess is the film. I haven't seen a piece of film that good on a recruit into this system since Paul got here. Including all the caveats of film (only highlights, speeding up run times, level of competition) I still think this guy has the athletic ability to be amazing at A-back.

I'll give you an example. Guys that can cut on a dime turn 5-yard plays into TD's in this offense. You've got the defense flowing to one side of the field, and bunch of huge OL running as fast as they can in the same direction. Guys that can shift and re-direct quickly can turn against that tide and then we get second level blocking that springs them.

In my opinion we've had guys that are decent at getting to the edge and running; Godhigh is the only one that has shown that he can really get those cutback lanes. Elder seems to have the top-end speed to hit the edge and the cut-back ability to take advantage of running lanes that get created in our offense. For that reason, he seems to be a great fit for A-Back.

I think we're really looking for a mix of guys at A-back; for instance, Days seems to be a tough runner with decent speed, and Godhigh is a scat-back type that is shifty with decent speed. A burner that can make people miss on the edge is a huge addition to the team.

I think we're really looking for a mix of guys at A-back; for instance, Days seems to be a tough runner with decent speed, and Godhigh is a scat-back type that is shifty with decent speed. A burner that can make people miss on the edge is a huge addition to the team.

Whatever dude. I want a feel good story. An "under the radar" guy. We have much more success with those guys. Let Ohio State have him. Just because he has 4 stars doesn't mean he's any good. Urban Meyer doesn't know what he's doing.

One other note - it could be these stats (taken from Scout profile).

2012: 2,618 yards rushing and 39 touchdowns. 2011: Over 2,000 yards rushing on just over 200 carries and scored 22 touchdowns. He finished with five interceptions at safety.

He's scored 61 TD's in two years and ran for over 4,500 yards.

My guess is the film.

Any of you guys have his senior highlight vid handy?

I tried youtubing and found only old ones or just bits and pieces of highlights from one 2012 game.

Nevermind: Found it on scout although not sure which year the video is from. Looks like any other highlight video to me.

Whatever dude. I want a feel good story. An "under the radar" guy. We have much more success with those guys. Let Ohio State have him. Just because he has 4 stars doesn't mean he's any good. Urban Meyer doesn't know what he's doing.

I'm picking up your sarcasm.

original.jpg

Thanks, 'cause I'm laying it on pretty thick.

One other note - it could be these stats (taken from Scout profile).

2012: 2,618 yards rushing and 39 touchdowns. 2011: Over 2,000 yards rushing on just over 200 carries and scored 22 touchdowns. He finished with five interceptions at safety.

He's scored 61 TD's in two years and ran for over 4,500 yards.

Marcus Wright had crazy stats in high school. His highlight reel was amazing. It's a shame he didn't turn out to be more successful.

Marcus Wright had crazy stats in high school. His highlight reel was amazing. It's a shame he didn't turn out to be more successful.

No clue what happened to Marcus after his scooter accident but he dropped from the face of the planet after that.

Back