CPJ has one year Wanted UT job

When GT finally fires CPJ and gives away whatever gimmicks we had in our back pocket, thereby making the entire game about Jimmies and Joes, BDS will be empty and Tech football will be dead.

We have not ever been, nor will we ever be, able to compete with our neighbors in the Jimmies and Joes category. And that is magnified in the modern marketplace where basically every P5 team within one state boundary of us is running a semi-pro team.
We need an agree rating button. Because I don't like this, but I agree with it.

And while CPJ's offense and the Auburn/Oregon/etc offense are basically the same thing but out of shotgun vs under center - it makes a difference to recruits whether you think it should or not.

please stop saying our offense is similar to Auburn/Oregon.
It's not. Those teams completed far more than 42 passes in an entire season and attempt far more per game than we do.

We're rightfully seen as a rush-heavy archaic offense because that's what we are. We run more dives than anyone but the service academies.

When GT finally fires CPJ and gives away whatever gimmicks we had in our back pocket, thereby making the entire game about Jimmies and Joes, BDS will be empty and Tech football will be dead.

We have not ever been, nor will we ever be, able to compete with our neighbors in the Jimmies and Joes category. And that is magnified in the modern marketplace where basically every P5 team within one state boundary of us is running a semi-pro team.
Yeah, that doesn’t really explain the 1 out of 4 vs Duke or the getting punked by UVA.

Terrific agent. Why use the phone when you can leave a text message that will end up on the Net?

images

Because firing a long time “semi-successful” coach never pays off.

Hey, did you by chance catch the national championship game last year?

The subject of this thread, Tennessee, has spent 10 years in the hinterlands after firing Fulmer. I highly doubt Pruitt will bring them out of it by doing the same thing as Saban and Smart, but with much less resources and recruiting advantage.

Many of the actual alternative candidates we interviewed got P5 jobs and then fired. Neuheisel was fired at UCLA. Randy Edsall at Maryland. Rumoredly, Muschamp at Florida. The previous time around, GT wanted Tom O'Brien but he demanded looser academic restrictions. He was fired at NC State.

I don't know how much you're just ööööposting, but odds are we're not going to get a rousing success. There's not even an attempt at considering feasible replacements. With CCG, a ton of threads named CPJ as a possible replacement. Now, who knows.

We have a school that kids (generally) don't want to go do due to the academic rigor etc AND on top of that they (generally) don't want to play in our offense. So to say it's 100% one or the other is wrong. But the offense certainly doesn't help us get any recruits outside of QBs (JT + others) - at least that I can think of.

And while CPJ's offense and the Auburn/Oregon/etc offense are basically the same thing but out of shotgun vs under center - it makes a difference to recruits whether you think it should or not.

Plus, it actually makes a difference when we are in late game/obvious passing situations (...those have happened a lot the last few years too...) bc our line blows at pass protection and our QB has to shuffle back facing the wrong way for some asinine reason then flip so he can throw, at which time D-lineman are in his face. Starting a few yards from the LOS gives slightly more time for the QB to read and react in passing situations vs the way CPJ has our QBs drop back - that is indisputable.

I also think that while maybe this offense does or (at least early on) helped level the playing field somewhat, we have now lost to Duke 3 of the last 4...

I think CPJ is a smart guy with a very high football IQ, but he's not perfect and obviously we have struggled the last few years to put anything on the field that could beat anyone halfway decent outside of a few games where everything came together (e.g. FSU 2015, UGA 2016), so something needs to change. Whether that's tweaking the offense to entice better players and mixing it up for opposing defenses or GT hiring someone else, I don't know - but our record the last 3 years is 17-19 (12-19 vs Power 5, 9-15 vs ACC, and 7-17 vs teams we have played all 3 years - i.e. Coastal teams + Clem + UGA), so something's gotta give because that's abysmal.

And if you're curious - adding to include 2014's good year those same records are: Overall - 28-22; P5 - 20-22; ACC - 17-20; all 4 years teams - 13-19...still not exactly stellar.

#:bigcry:

Pretty good post.

So Paul Johnson is the “Alpha and Omega” of Tech football?

I would like to see PJ get the offense humming again before he leaves. And to go with this offense I would like to see Coach Woody have one hell of a defense to go with this offense. I have yet to see a really good defense to go with a TO offense yet. If these two things happen, Tech would be very hard to beat, if not impossible. Would just love to see this happen at Tech!!!

I have no doubt that when we fire CPJ will can hire the best coach in FCS to replace him.

Back