CPJ Mad Bro

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
I realize transitioning from PJ to a “pro”’offense will result in some tough times. I just don’t blame PJ for that. And everyone is hoping GC’s takes us to Orange Bowls. It’s a transition, plain and simple. So blame the transition for the losses, not PJ.

We’re giving Chan credit for PJ’s wins and blaming PJ for GC’s losses. What the hell messed up world is that?
I don’t blame PJ, he did exactly what everyone should have expected...run his system. It wasn’t his job to put players in the NFL or to leave his successor with a roster trailered for what he wanted to do. But his system is the reason for what we have gone through to the past two years and some of us predicted this when PJ was hired. That’s why I haven’t really been bothered too much during the transition so far. It’s coming up on time to turn things around though.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
I don’t blame PJ, he did exactly what everyone should have expected...run his system. It wasn’t his job to put players in the NFL or to leave his successor with a roster trailered for what he wanted to do. But his system is the reason for what we have gone through to the past two years and some of us predicted this when PJ was hired. That’s why I haven’t really been bothered too much during the transition so far. It’s coming up on time to turn things around though.
Yeah what's so frustrating for me is that 99% of our fan base should've known there would be 2 horrible transition years at least. I thought our fan base was generally smart enough to see this coming. For CGC to take such heat when imo he's done an A+ job recruiting and rebranding is insane. Either there's a portion of our fan base with a low football iq or there's a portion of fans who just don't like how CGC is running things. Coming from CPJ to CGC is a hell of a culture change and a bunch of the white hairs can't handle it and just dream of the days of old and mock CGC at ant chance they get. The only way unfortunately to shut them up is to win and that was going to take some time.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Yeah what's so frustrating for me is that 99% of our fan base should've known there would be 2 horrible transition years at least. I thought our fan base was generally smart enough to see this coming. For CGC to take such heat when imo he's done an A+ job recruiting and rebranding is insane. Either there's a portion of our fan base with a low football iq or there's a portion of fans who just don't like how CGC is running things. Coming from CPJ to CGC is a hell of a culture change and a bunch of the white hairs can't handle it and just dream of the days of old and mock CGC at ant chance they get. The only way unfortunately to shut them up is to win and that was going to take some time.
I used to think Tech fans were different but the only real difference I can see is we’re more likely to bitch about our teams than actually support them.

rghoae

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I realize transitioning from PJ to a “pro”’offense will result in some tough times. I just don’t blame PJ for that. And everyone is hoping GC’s takes us to Orange Bowls. It’s a transition, plain and simple. So blame the transition for the losses, not PJ.

We’re giving Chan credit for PJ’s wins and blaming PJ for GC’s losses. What the hell messed up world is that?
I’m not sure if some posters have simply not looked at the kind of talent we have or are going out of their way to be ignorant.
It’s a fact that for his first couple of CPJ had a team made of the best talent Tech has seen in the 21st century.
It’s also a fact that GC has inherited a team with the lowest talent Tech has seen in the 21st century. A simple illustration of this fact is that in CPJ’s last 3 years, there were as many non ST players drafted from Tech as from Georgia State. Georgia ööööing State had as many players drafted from offense ans defense over a span of 3 years as Tech.
And somehow there are people who believe that this has not played a role in Techs under performance.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
I’m not sure if some posters have simply not looked at the kind of talent we have or are going out of their way to be ignorant.
It’s a fact that for his first couple of CPJ had a team made of the best talent Tech has seen in the 21st century.
It’s also a fact that GC has inherited a team with the lowest talent Tech has seen in the 21st century. A simple illustration of this fact is that in CPJ’s last 3 years, there were as many non ST players drafted from Tech as from Georgia State. Georgia ööööing State had as many players drafted from offense ans defense over a span of 3 years as Tech.
And somehow there are people who believe that this has not played a role in Techs under performance.
It's because they have tied their sense of self to CPJ/Triple or something like that.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
OTOH we see the youngsters blaming all our woes on CPJ and the option. The sudden inability to kick a field goal, the fall to the most penalized GT teams 'in the 21st century', having 3-4 starting quarterbacks instead of deciding on one... It is like some fans are more excited to yell 'Money Down!' than they care about whether the defense actually gets a stop. There are also some older fans who identify themselves with Georgia Tech or GT and are having a hard time adjusting to us now being "404" or "ATL" instead.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
OTOH we see the youngsters blaming all our woes on CPJ and the option. The sudden inability to kick a field goal, the fall to the most penalized GT teams 'in the 21st century', having 3-4 starting quarterbacks instead of deciding on one... It is like some fans are more excited to yell 'Money Down!' than they care about whether the defense actually gets a stop. There are also some older fans who identify themselves with Georgia Tech or GT and are having a hard time adjusting to us now being "404" or "ATL" instead.
Dripping with irony that any fanboi of CPJ suddenly starts caring what our defense does.

Jacketeer

Flats Noob
What a horrendous take. DL in 09 was probably the weakest part of the defense despite having Morgan. The rest of the line was slaw. That being said that DL was better than any Johnson recruited.

LB wasn’t amazing compared to what O’Leary and Gailey were putting on the field but I’d take it over the vast majority of what Johnson recruited.

That secondary was stacked. Morgan Burnett speaks for himself. Butler and JWD easily top 10 all time Tech corners. Tarrant probably a top ten guy as well. Definitely a top 5 PR.
JWD didn't play for the 09 team, he graduated in 08.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
We rotated 3-4 QB’s because the previous coach retired because he knew he didn’t have one and his inability to get a legit P5 QB to sign with him after Thomas forced him into the rocking chair.

Think about this, Thomas signed with GT in 2012. After that CPJ didn‘t sign a legit QB thru his retirement in December 2018. That right there is why his tenure ended on a sour note and Collins tenure started on a sour note. College football is all about the QB position.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
We rotated 3-4 QB’s because the previous coach retired because he knew he didn’t have one and his inability to get a legit P5 QB to sign with him after Thomas forced him into the rocking chair.

Think about this, Thomas signed with GT in 2012. After that CPJ didn‘t sign a legit QB thru his retirement in December 2018. That right there is why his tenure ended on a sour note and Collins tenure started on a sour note. College football is all about the QB position.
To be fair, I think either Yates or Graham would have been good in his system. But having to start TQM for 2 years just killed a lot of people's perception of the offense. Also, pretty bad luck with Jaylend Ratliffe. But yes, there was a big gap there and Collins was left without a legit option at QB. The state of the O-line probably scared off any potential grad transfers, also.

Last edited:

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
To be fair, I think either Yates or Graham would have been good in his system. But having to start TQM for 2 years just killed a lot of people's perception of the offense. Also, pretty bad luck with Jaylend Ratliffe. But yes, there was a big gap there and Collins was left without a legit option at QB. The state of the O-line probably scared off any potential grad transfers, also.
That isn’t really fair to Byerly, who looked to be a competent starter or for Oliver who would have been fine as an option QB.

QB development was definitely bear the top of problems for CPJ though.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
That isn’t really fair to Byerly, who looked to be a competent starter or for Oliver who would have been fine as an option QB.

QB development was definitely bear the top of problems for CPJ though.
I didn't think about Byerly. Yeah, Oliver could have been a 1-2 year starter, I think. I thought Jordan was gonna be good, too. There was some bad luck, bad recruiting, and questionable QB coaching. Wasn't all one thing.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Dripping with irony that any fanboi of CPJ suddenly starts caring what our defense does.
If I was a fan girl I would get excited about what shirt he was wearing, or if he was wearing socks, or if his heel was up, or maybe all three.

aeromech

Dodd-Like

We rotated 3-4 QB's because our OC couldn't figure out who the starter should be until half way through the season.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
We rotated 3-4 QB's because our OC couldn't figure out who the starter should be until half way through the season.
Sorry to disagree, but none of them were starters! That’s the point. CPJ left us without a real QB for the P5 level. Tobias could run but couldn’t pass. Graham could sling it but his accuracy outside the chunk it play was terrible. He’ll be good a Southern because, like in high school his legs will produce plays - but at the P5 level it takes more than legs. Yates just got caught in between systems but he’s smart enough to use football to get him a free education at a top tier school. Ratliff, we’ll never know but that’s why you recruit year round. CPJ just didn’t do that and the excuses we have to come up with prove that. I’m telling you now one of the most important players on our team is Peery because QB is what runs college football. I like Yates, but there is a reason Collins is bringing this kid 3000 miles. When Sims takes the wrong hit we can’t make excuses anymore.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Sorry to disagree, but none of them were starters! That’s the point. CPJ left us without a real QB for the P5 level. Tobias could run but couldn’t pass. Graham could sling it but his accuracy outside the chunk it play was terrible. He’ll be good a Southern because, like in high school his legs will produce plays - but at the P5 level it takes more than legs. Yates just got caught in between systems but he’s smart enough to use football to get him a free education at a top tier school. Ratliff, we’ll never know but that’s why you recruit year round. CPJ just didn’t do that and the excuses we have to come up with prove that. I’m telling you now one of the most important players on our team is Peery because QB is what runs college football. I like Yates, but there is a reason Collins is bringing this kid 3000 miles. When Sims takes the wrong hit we can’t make excuses anymore.
Yates was the guy I wanted to see in CPJ's offense. Think Tevin, but a much better passer. He should see mop up duty this year and could end up graduating with 2 years eligibility thanks to covid.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
CPJ didn’t leave any traditional P5 QB. He didn’t leave any air raid qbs either. We had option QBs. There is no mystery in that.

I think we could have won 2-3 more games in year 1 by having TO in either a Richrod shotgun spread option or running a system similar to Louisville with about a 4/1 run pass ratio. I don’t think we would have gotten Sims doing that. Maybe not Gibbs either.

I’m still waiting to see if Pat can tailor an offense to his personnel or if he is just going to run him system regardless. His two years at Temple tend towards the latter. If that is the case, I don’t think Pat will be here after year 4 or possibly after next year.