CPJ: Vad "light years ahead" than expected

I'm impressed that CPJ used "light years" in the proper distance context.

I am very surprised that he used this description at all.

Cautious optimism for the future but at least maybe he pushes the other guys for now.

btw, just so that we're clear...

After listening to the audio, "light years ahead" was the phrase used to describe the difference in between Vad Lee's grasp of the offense 4 days into practice versus Paul Johnson's 4 days into installing his offense at GT when he first came in.

Specifically, CPJ is praising Vad Lee's eagerness to learn the offense by taking it upon himself to watch a lot of film, grasping the technical aspects of his position even before being taught/coached, and also learning the playbook which he has had since the spring.

I guess none of the other QBs that signed during CPJ's career at tech has shown this kind of thirst to learn/play.

What I hear coming from the Flats so far this year is:
1. CPJ seems to be intentionally positive about his team - something I would not say he has always been in previous seasons. Obviously the upper classmen did not respond well as things went bad last season. I think he is trying to rebuild confidence and at least for now, be more positive in his assessments.
2. I believe this team believes it has done the work to get ready for the season. Time will tell. But, everyone seems to be singing the same song about team commitment and unity. That's good.
3. I think CPJ is taking very seriously the idea of giving Vad Lee the keys to the offense from the get go. He will do just what he says - whatever gives this team the best chance to win. And, that just might be going with the true freshman.

119810_o.gif

+1

If he can win the starting job, play him IMO, but do not play him as a backup. Better to have him start 4 years than to lose one year to mop-up duty and junk minutes.

I think I remember coach himself saying that Vad was the most talented kid he'd ever recruited. Of course talent is only one part of the equation. Hard work, dedication, and leadership are just as important.

No reason, imo, to burn his redshirt and make him second string. Only way to burn his redshirt, imo, is if he actually is good enough to play. I'm encouraged by the praise, but lets be clear that he's "light years" ahead of where CPJ expects true freshmen to be on their fourth practice. That doesn't mean he's light years ahead of Tevin Washington, and it certainly doesn't mean he's light years ahead of where he needs to be to start.

I think I remember coach himself saying that Vad was the most talented kid he'd ever recruited. Of course talent is only one part of the equation. Hard work, dedication, and leadership are just as important.

Go read his twitter feed (http://twitter.com/#!/GT_VadLee2). I wish I could have his attitude all the time. The guy seems like the real deal and I may have to start drinking the kool aid.

Also, PJ should take into consideration where he thinks Vad would be by the end of the season, progression wise, if he played from the get go. Let's say right now, on a scale of 100, Tevin rates an 80 in PJ's mind, and Vad a 70. Does he think that Vad could progress to an 80 or beyond by the VT game? Look, we're gonna roll in 2 out of first 3 games even if we put Preston Lyon as our QB... I would have said 3 out 3, but last year was a sobering experience in that regard.

Let's say we start Vad from day one. He's gonna go through the struggles that any frosh QB would go through. However, I know I'd trade an early season loss against Kansas if it meant Vad gave us a better chance to beat VT and UGA at the end of the season. This is the way I'm hoping PJ is thinking, too. I think he would.

I don't go along with the "redshirt him if at all possible crowd". I am in the "play him if he's anywhere close" crowd. If he's good enough now 3 or 4 years down the road doesn't matter because all you have to do is recruit his replacement a year sooner. He hasn't done anything yet but the assumption is we'll never find a recruit as good as him so we really need to redshirt him to have him 4 years from now. Nobody heard of him 3 years ago - who's to say there's not another 9th grader out there now that will be the next him in a few years when we need him. Just get that guy with the timing set so he redshirts, then backs up a year, then is ready to go. That could be 3 years or 4 years from now, doesn't matter.

The other thing is if you play Washington this year and he's so-so, but you move heaven and earth to "not burn Lee's redshirt" then all you've managed to do is set up a senior incumbent vs. new guy controversy for next year.

Vad has all those other qualities.

My prediction before spring practice even started was that TW would start the season, Vad would work his way up to second string and then get on the field at some point midseason.

Things seem to be coming along quite nicely with that. At this point, you have to be drunk to think Vad is going to redshirt after PJ's latest comments.

Let's say we start Vad from day one. He's gonna go through the struggles that any frosh QB would go through. However, I know I'd trade an early season loss against Kansas if it meant Vad gave us a better chance to beat VT and UGA at the end of the season. This is the way I'm hoping PJ is thinking, too. I think he would.

Whoa, I'm the biggest Vad fan there is, but even I don't think he should be starting from Day 1. If he still can't even take the snap properly, he gives us virtually no chance to win games right now.

Back