CPJ: Vad "light years ahead" than expected

I worry about Vad getting hurt if he starts this year. He may have all the tools but he needs to bulk up some, so that he can take the hits.

I don't go along with the "redshirt him if at all possible crowd". I am in the "play him if he's anywhere close" crowd. If he's good enough now 3 or 4 years down the road doesn't matter because all you have to do is recruit his replacement a year sooner. He hasn't done anything yet but the assumption is we'll never find a recruit as good as him so we really need to redshirt him to have him 4 years from now. Nobody heard of him 3 years ago - who's to say there's not another 9th grader out there now that will be the next him in a few years when we need him. Just get that guy with the timing set so he redshirts, then backs up a year, then is ready to go. That could be 3 years or 4 years from now, doesn't matter.

The other thing is if you play Washington this year and he's so-so, but you move heaven and earth to "not burn Lee's redshirt" then all you've managed to do is set up a senior incumbent vs. new guy controversy for next year.

The more accurate assumption is that a QB (or any player for that matter) who redshirts is better off for it. In other words, a player is better their RS-SR year than they would have been their SR year had they not redshirted. Take Nesbitt for example - did he really get any better as a player by the few snaps he took his freshman year? Had he waited, we'd have him at QB right now. That's what a RS gets you - 5 years to develop an expiring asset as opposed to 4.

If he gives us the best chance to win this year he should start. Otherwise he needs to get in line and spend this year learning the plays and working on the fundamentals of the offense so he has those down pat.

So if he's come this far in three days, just imagine where he'll be when the season starts. He'll probably have won a couple Heismans by then.

... and have been nomiated for a Nobel Prize.

If he can win the starting job, play him IMO, but do not play him as a backup. Better to have him start 4 years than to lose one year to mop-up duty and junk minutes.

My and am sure many others thoughts too.

Also, PJ should take into consideration where he thinks Vad would be by the end of the season, progression wise, if he played from the get go. Let's say right now, on a scale of 100, Tevin rates an 80 in PJ's mind, and Vad a 70. Does he think that Vad could progress to an 80 or beyond by the VT game? Look, we're gonna roll in 2 out of first 3 games even if we put Preston Lyon as our QB... I would have said 3 out 3, but last year was a sobering experience in that regard.

Let's say we start Vad from day one. He's gonna go through the struggles that any frosh QB would go through. However, I know I'd trade an early season loss against Kansas if it meant Vad gave us a better chance to beat VT and UGA at the end of the season. This is the way I'm hoping PJ is thinking, too. I think he would.

This is so far beyond speculation I don't know what to say. Do you spend all day reading tea leaves in your day job?

I think the gap between TW, someone who has been here for a while, knows the system, has played college football, has started college football games, has ran for over 100 yards in a college football game, and has taken the field @ Blacksburg and athens, and Vad Lee, someone the coach acknowledged is not ready to play and, so far, has dropped snaps and made other freshman mistakes, is more than 80 to 70, whatever the öööö that means.

And no, I wouldn't trade an early season loss to Kansas for a "better chance" at beating uga. If we are going to lose to Kansas we better be damn sure we are beating uga.

Bottom line is CPJ will play him IF he gives the team the BEST chance to win NOW, not next year or the year after that.

I worry about Vad getting hurt if he starts this year. He may have all the tools but he needs to bulk up some, so that he can take the hits.

I guarantee you if PJ doesn't think he can't take the hits he won't play.

The more accurate assumption is that a QB (or any player for that matter) who redshirts is better off for it. In other words, a player is better their RS-SR year than they would have been their SR year had they not redshirted. Take Nesbitt for example - did he really get any better as a player by the few snaps he took his freshman year? Had he waited, we'd have him at QB right now. That's what a RS gets you - 5 years to develop an expiring asset as opposed to 4.

If he gives us the best chance to win this year he should start. Otherwise he needs to get in line and spend this year learning the plays and working on the fundamentals of the offense so he has those down pat.

If Vad Lee is going to play this year, he is going to do a lot more than Nesbitt did that year. I think Johnson knows enough that if you already have a guy who can play in a back-up role, getting junk time and such (Days if Tevin stays up), you'd use the freshman you aren't redshirting for something else. Maybe something like what Meyer did with Tebow in his first year.

Vad is small, and still has a case of the freshman fumbles. If he can grow out of that next year, and can beat the other two guys out, let him start. I think he can, with the right work ethic and attitude, and if not then he will at least press the other two guys to try even harder. Doesn't make sense to start him to me unless he's like, superawesome.

redshirt's can lead to rs-jr's leaving to NFL or etc. even if we can get some "packages" that could help us win games then burn the rs, IMO

PJ will have 4 years to find a replacement and there will be another option qb come out during that time period.

we have had too many JR's leave early to consider RS'ing a "ready to play" skill position

All of these guys have actually played a down of college football. Vad, based on my superior talent evaluation abilities :cool:, looks somewhere less than Shawn Jones / Joe Hamilton but above every other QB we've had because everyone else has sucked as a QB talent.

I'm sorry but I have a huge issue with you saying George Godsey "sucked" as a QB

We could have won the ACC last year with George Godsey (pre knee injury) as QB.

I'm impressed that CPJ used "light years" in the proper distance context.

No, he didn't.

I think people are reading too much into CPJ's comments. Vad's out-performed CPJ's expectations, but that doesn't mean he's out-performed Tevin and Synjyn. CPJ's definitely taking Vad seriously, but there's stil a lot of factors to consider.

Personally, I've moved from the not at all possible to the not very likely with regards to a redshirt.

I predict that if TW gets hurt within the first four games, Vad's RS gets pulled.

But not option QBs on option teams.

Honestly, I would think one of our QB's are more likely to find a place in the NFL than one of our offensive linemen. We still lost one to leaving for the NFL as a junior. Just cause something isn't a great idea doesn't mean it won't happen.

2 out of the last 3 years, the second string QB played several complete games, therefore I think it's not a good idea to redshirt our best two QBs any given year.

I'm sorry but I have a huge issue with you saying George Godsey "sucked" as a QB

Talent wise. He wasn't fast, didn't have the strongest ARM, etc. He was a game manager type that won games. Completely irrelevant to my point but I certainly understand your contention.

Back