CPJ: Vad "light years ahead" than expected

Talent wise. He wasn't fast, didn't have the strongest ARM, etc. He was a game manager type that won games. Completely irrelevant to my point but I certainly understand your contention.
Godsey showed plenty of ESSS-EEEE-SEEEEE speeeeeed on his touchdown jaunt against the Athens Primate Center. Godsey is one of the top QBs I've seen at Tech since my enrollment in the mid 70s, behind Jones and Hamilton.

But not option QBs on option teams.

Too early to say, but on video Vad looks like a great drop back passer. Even if he runs an option offense at Tech, I think CPJ will do a lot more passing, and Vad could easily break the mold. I'm beginning to think it would be better to get him on the field rather than risk only having him for 2 years. Looking at our schedule, an effective passing game in the second half could transform this season.

Too early to say, but on video Vad looks like a great drop back passer. Even if he runs an option offense at Tech, I think CPJ will do a lot more passing, and Vad could easily break the mold. I'm beginning to think it would be better to get him on the field rather than risk only having him for 2 years. Looking at our schedule, an effective passing game in the second half could transform this season.

I think that the ability to throw on the run accurately is what he could bring that we have not had recently. I have mixed feelings about him playing this year though, let's see how the next few weeks play out in Fall camp.

On the Other Hand: Having a QB of Vad's apparent talents might help our Scout Team. It wouldn't hurt our new DB's to have to face a passing threat every week in practice.

On the Other Hand: Having a QB of Vad's apparent talents might help our Scout Team. It wouldn't hurt our new DB's to have to face a passing threat every week in practice.

I'd rather him be focused on learning our offense rather than spending time emulating someone else's.

Jordan Luallen was apparently MVP most weeks doing the whole Scout Team thing...

look how far that got him...or should I say look how "far away" that got him.

redshirt's can lead to rs-jr's leaving to NFL or etc. even if we can get some "packages" that could help us win games then burn the rs, IMO

PJ will have 4 years to find a replacement and there will be another option qb come out during that time period.

we have had too many JR's leave early to consider RS'ing a "ready to play" skill position

The problem with this line of thinking is it entirely ignores the benefits a redshirt gives your roster. Think of it this way - if you can't redshirt a single player, you'd have to average 21-22 recruits a year to keep a full roster. On the other hand, if you redshirt everyone you only need to grab 17 guys a year.

With specific regard to the QB position (a position that typically takes up 4 spots on the roster), redshirting players (esp those who wouldn't play anyways) allows you to pass on certain years if you don't like your recruiting prospects. If you don't redshirt, you basically have to get a guy in every year.

Even if Vad is just about as good or slightly better than Tevin this year (and there is absolutely no indication that is remotely true), it would serve us better to play Tevin and have FOUR (as opposed to THREE) more years of Vad.

The only reason we should play him, imo, is if he's heads and shoulders better than everyone else. You can't make that judgment 4 days into practice.

Honestly, I would think one of our QB's are more likely to find a place in the NFL than one of our offensive linemen. We still lost one to leaving for the NFL as a junior. Just cause something isn't a great idea doesn't mean it won't happen.

One, that's empirically false. We've got linemen (plural) in the NFL right now. Our stud fifth year senior QB wasn't drafted and was invited to camp as a favor from a former coach. And he'll likely be cut once NFL teams have to get down to 55.

Two, that lineman wasn't drafted by the NFL. Clearly that had more to do with his state of mind and having to play in a run block offense with a pass block body than being projected to be drafted.

Anyways, there is about zero chance a QB would be drafted early in our offense. Even Heisman winning spread option game changers like Tebow wouldn't have been drafted high if they leave early. The exceptions are the Cam Newtons, Michael Vicks, and Vince Youngs. If he was a running back I'd be more inclined to agree with you - but elite QBs are incredibly rare.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Paul Johnson thinks burning Vad's redshirt will win us even one more game then he will.

Who knows what the future holds. Maybe Vad breaks an arm on the scout team if he redshirts. I don't know. All I know is you play to win today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

One, that's empirically false. We've got linemen (plural) in the NFL right now. Our stud fifth year senior QB wasn't drafted and was invited to camp as a favor from a former coach. And he'll likely be cut once NFL teams have to get down to 55.

Well first, those linemen in the nfl were not recruited by johnson. They spent more time being taught by gailey than johnson. Anyway, my point was that even if it is a bad idea, doesn't mean they won't leave early anyway.

If PJ thinks Vad is the best quarterback on the roster prior to the start of the season, then he'll start. Obviously it's too early for PJ to have made that decision so far, but I think the longer it takes for PJ to name a starter, the better chance Vad has of winning the job.

Tevin proved himself serviceable in the absence of Nesbitt last year, but I think some people are overselling his performance. We still had to struggle to beat Duke, couldn't crack double-digits against Air Force, and finished 1-5.

Yes! Yes! Yes!, Mtown!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Paul Johnson thinks burning Vad's redshirt will win us even one more game then he will.

Who knows what the future holds. Maybe Vad breaks an arm on the scout team if he redshirts. I don't know. All I know is you play to win today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

We need to breakout and get some momentum, and soon. One so-so year will be perceived as a fluke if we can get back to 9 or 10 wins again soon. Another so-so year and the national perception will be harder to change. If we start winning a bunch of games, show up high in the rankings, we won't have a hard time finding another Vad Lee when he's through.

Re: Yes! Yes! Yes!, Mtown!

We need to breakout and get some momentum, and soon. One so-so year will be perceived as a fluke if we can get back to 9 or 10 wins again soon. Another so-so year and the national perception will be harder to change. If we start winning a bunch of games, show up high in the rankings, we won't have a hard time finding another Vad Lee when he's through.

And if we hold him out of games he could have given us a chance to win and we have 2-3 more losses then we have two bad seasons in a row.

Play to win each game every week. Period.

Re: Yes! Yes! Yes!, Mtown!

And if we hold him out of games he could have given us a chance to win and we have 2-3 more losses then we have two bad seasons in a row.

Play to win each game every week. Period.

+10000!

Any coach who doesnt play to win every game should be fired. I agree with the poster that said Vad Lee doing great and leaving early will just usher in a new Vad Lee to take the reins in 3-4 years.

It sucks that Vad was unable to enroll early (I forget the reasons as to why he couldn't).

We'd probably know a bit more about the whole QB situation if he'd been able to make it in sooner.

It sucks that Vad was unable to enroll early (I forget the reasons as to why he couldn't).

We'd probably know a bit more about the whole QB situation if he'd been able to make it in sooner.

I don't remember exactly but it was either his choice to stay for the rest of high school or there was an issue with getting all his high school stuff done to graduate before the spring.

I'm convinced this thread is just an exercise to see how many times the same thing can be said by different people.

Back