Do not Blame Jeff Sims for this loss.

This L is totally on an unprepared and out of position defense. Sims mistakes were totally breakdowns on the OL and not his fault. He played well enough to win. If I had one criticism, though, is he gave the ball on many read option plays that got stuffed when it looked like the QB keep was wide open?

On the second int he had Norris wide open on a deep post. If we protect him at all it’s a TD. I like how we have people getting mad at him for taking a sack to kill a drive, and then not taking a sack and trying to make a throw within the same complaint.

the first int was an rpo. Heconsistently throws those quick and low and they get tipped, it’s an issue they need to correct or not run them. The wr was wide open fwiw, he made a good read, just poor execution.

He threw the ball really well all day. Better than any GT in a long time. 23/30 for 340 yards and 2 tds after starting terrible with 2 picks. Carter and Norris also had chances on long TD balls that were very well thrown against good coverage, they just didn’t make the play. The only other really bad throw I can think of was the fourth down throw to nates feet on the goal line.

we had our best wr our and played 2 OGs that haven’t played all year. That doesn’t help a qb

On the second int he had Norris wide open on a deep post. If we protect him at all it’s a TD. I like how we have people getting mad at him for taking a sack to kill a drive, and then not taking a sack and trying to make a throw within the same complaint.

the first int was an rpo. Heconsistently throws those quick and low and they get tipped, it’s an issue they need to correct or not run them. The wr was wide open fwiw, he made a good read, just poor execution.

He threw the ball really well all day. Better than any GT in a long time. 23/30 for 340 yards and 2 tds after starting terrible with 2 picks. Carter and Norris also had chances on long TD balls that were very well thrown against good coverage, they just didn’t make the play. The only other really bad throw I can think of was the fourth down throw to nates feet on the goal line.

we had our best wr our and played 2 OGs that haven’t played all year. That doesn’t help a qb
One thing that I think is another bright spot was that the young man rebounded well. That was not the case on the past.

Not on Sims at all. We were getting them on the outside. It felt like we only had a handful of positive plays, inside and only with Smith. Putting Yates in and running inside on 4th and 2 was mind numbing stupid. I thought for sure we would have let Yates try to sit back and throw there. I literally smacked my forehead after another no gain inside run.
And it looked to me like we were especially unproductive running inside on first down. Just now reviewed the play by play to confirm. Some success throwing, otherwise mostly threw away first down. Iirc Roddy commented about a repeated play call with Gibbs being stuffed “why try that play again?”.
Back to OP, Sims settled down and did some good things. Have to wonder what happens if he gets into the game a bit more without turnovers, gets comfortable and confident.

Wow, people are really blaming Sims? I thought he was one of our best players today. With the pressure Pitt put on him almost every down, I’m not sure we’ve had a QB in 20 years that wouldn’t have turned it over a couple of times if they were asked to drop back to pass nearly 40 times.

As has been said, the first pick was a good read but a low, sloppy throw. öööö happens.

The second pick is 100% on our OL. We knew we needed to make Pitt pay for selling out, and we got exactly the look we wanted. We had a guy open for a TD, Sims loaded up to hit him, and all hell broke loose in our backfield. After that we didn’t even try to throw deep, which put us exactly where Pitt wanted us.

1) We can’t give up 50+ ever.

2) We won’t win games in the ACC if we can’t run block. We are absolute garbage in that area, and aren’t calling plays to compensate for it.

Neither of those is the QBs fault.

Patenaude is the one killing Sims and Gibbs. Those guys need to voice their opinion to the head coach. They will have nice college careers at their next stop if Patenaude stays.

Tbh Gibbs has got to be a little pissed about the current situation

Patenaude is the one killing Sims and Gibbs. Those guys need to voice their opinion to the head coach. They will have nice college careers at their next stop if Patenaude stays.
PNode can't will the OLine to start the game with Big Boy intensity, the OL always starts slow, they started slow vs UNC but it was overshadowed by our Points output in the 2nd Half.

Teams are not going to get caught off Guard by Gibbs, maybe we start Mason and soften them up with power running, then use Gibbs as a speedy change of pace Back.

PNode schemes a lot of Guys wide open, but our protection issues mean we can't take advantage of it.

Having an OC who runs shotgun on 1st and goal within the 5 is laughable. Bama and the Big boys can do it because they push the defense into the end zone. We can’t. It’s just ludicrous in the same way our previous coach would stay under center on 3rd and long. Dontae scored a TD on a run then didn’t touch the ball for the next several series at which point the game was over. The only way Collins can survive is if he hands the offense over to someone with a track record. If I’m Gibbs father I’m making some calls this week, the first is to a small town up 85 from Dalton in South Carolina. They’ll actually block for him and utilize his skills.

Having an OC who runs shotgun on 1st and goal within the 5 is laughable. Bama and the Big boys can do it because they push the defense into the end zone. We can’t. It’s just ludicrous in the same way our previous coach would stay under center on 3rd and long. Dontae scored a TD on a run then didn’t touch the ball for the next several series at which point the game was over. The only way Collins can survive is if he hands the offense over to someone with a track record. If I’m Gibbs father I’m making some calls this week, the first is to a small town up 85 from Dalton in South Carolina. They’ll actually block for him and utilize his skills.
Are you referring to Clemson? Because Gibbs has more rushing yards than any Clemson player, and GT has been more successful running the ball this year than the Tigers.

Our OL and DL were significantly weaker than Pitt's. They handled our DL easily.

Up 85 from Dalton?

Are you referring to Clemson? Because Gibbs has more rushing yards than any Clemson player, and GT has been more successful running the ball this year than the Tigers.
In 5 decades I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a GT RB with double digit carries having -10 yds rushing. I’m actually not sure I’ve ever seen negative yds rushing.

What is hard to understand? On the int he had the option of attempting the pass or taking the sack. He risked it and threw a pick 6 on first down.

On the deep sack, he had time to throw the ball away or attempt to beat two unblocked Pitt defenders. He choose to try and beat two guys and took a 12 yard sack on 2nd down.

Both were aggressive choices. Both were high risk choices. I am certain he makes both of those plays in high school. It is a learning process. Those are choices you probably shouldn’t make on your 2nd and 4th drives.

In the end, neither cost us the game. Pitt had the players and gameplan to wreck our defense. UNC had the players, but not the gameplan.

Interceptions sucked but he balled out otherwise. Patenaude has no idea what to do in the red zone

I don’t know why you don’t dial up more out routes when Sims is obviously good at throwing them. Pitt had a ton of guys playing inside. I know CDP likes to have the WR clear the area so the RB can swing wide, but damn, just take that quick 4-5 yards until the DB comes up or the LB spread out wide.

Did we watch different games or are my old eyes deceiving me? Both INTs were tipped balls. The first one was barely past the LOS.
He threw the first one way too low, making a tip likely. I didn't see a tip on the second one, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. But the fact is that was still not a good pass.

Back