Expansion Rumors…

Obviously Swafford and the conference leadership has a big share of blame for making a bad deal, but ESPN/ABC/Disney owns the "property". They also own the SEC property. They have effectively favored one to the neglect of the other. They are solely to blame for tilting the playing field and doing nothing to mitigate the imbalance.

I have said Georgia Tech will be fine and they will, but ESPN/ABC/Disney has created this situation within the conference and between the properties that they own the rights to. It will likely never be favorably resolved by legal actions but ESPN/ABC/Disney absolutely knows they are tilting the game across the board. They know it and have chosen to do nothing about it.

I detest them for that and a host of other offenses that organization has done and continues to do and I will absolutely call them out for it and do everything I can to never give them a dime. I'm certain I am not alone in that sentiment.
Here’s the thing though. Why wouldABC/ESPN with all their financial issues tear up a contract in their favor to pay more per ACC school? As a measure of goodwill?

ESPN is not solely to blame for the imbalance between the sec and the ACC/B12. The ACC has a disadvantage regarding the size of the schools and attendance of games at Duke, Wake, BC, UVA, Syracuse, Pitt, Stanford, Cal, SMU, Miami etc. With smaller stadiums vs the majority of the sec, the ACC still can’t fill the stands. That’s not an ESPN issue. The sec, B1G just have bigger schools with fanbases that fill the stands. The only schools that fit that in the ACC are Clemson, FSU, NCSU and maybe UofL. VT isn’t what they once were from an attendance standpoint under Beamer.

South Carolina, Missouri, Ole Miss, Miss State have sucked pretty much my entire life, but those fans still go to the games. That can’t be said for the ACC teams above. Even when they are good, they still have a hard time selling out games.

I have plenty of issues with ABC/ESPN, but this isn’t one of them.

Here are the TV ratings from week 3. 1 ACC team (FSU) was involved in a Top 10 watched game. WVU-Pitt didn’t even pull in ratings in a rivalry game. That’s surprising.

Back