Expansion Rumors…

Anecdotes from opposing fans aren’t data. I talked to some random ugag fan I was sitting beside a few years back who loved the charm of historic BDS, was his 1st time there. It probably just means other fans view of the stadium is probably atleast partially tied to whether their team was beat down or not by the jackets.

Only real question that matters is what facelifts are needed to drive excitement to get asses in seats.

Quick thoughts on BDS@HGF brought to you by Hyundai (thanks for the $$ Korea):
- its almost paid for (almost, still have some debt for the North Stands expansion I believe)
- incredible convenience with Marta and I-75/85 within walking distance
- the view from North / West of the skyline is beautiful, especially at night
- East stands are really close to the field
- plenty of high-end seating options / club level.....if you $80k
- if desired, we can play in a 75k seat stadium a few miles down the road, for extra income, and NFL cache for recruiting

I have been to almost all the college football stadiums we have played at in the Southeast. Ours is unique.....in a good way. The generic symmetrical bowl in the middle of a field appeals to some, but you turn on the TV, you have to look twice to figure out if the game is in Columbia, or Auburn, or Tuscaloosa, or Athens, or Raleigh, or Chapel Hill or.......

Ok, I'll put an end to the rumors you are all hearing from your moms... yes, the "expansion" that they describe is true.

At first they think "ah, a show-er", but then they exclaim, "woohh, a real grow-er."

So it's TRUE, your moms all say "pretty impressive expansion," just to put all the rumors to rest.

The seating part of BDS is fine. In fact, it’s stunning from the seats.

Negative opinions are driven by first impressions, and the main entrances lead through outdated and poorly maintained areas. Upper East concourse is terrible. Peeling paint, poor lighting, chain link fence and corrugated plastic. It needs a major update.

Upper west - the ramps going up are dark and feel like walking into a Soviet gulag. Put in more lighting and give people something to look at other than grey concrete.

Bathrooms - I’m not sure what to do here

Just getting rid of rust and flaking paint with some improved lighting would do wonders.

Piss troughs are so effective at moving bathroom lines. Don’t hate.
I was somewhere recently that had troughs, maybe Aviva in Dublin?

RIP to the pee walls of the old Lower East bathrooms, though - the ones you had to walk down a scaffolding stairway over a dirt hill under the stands to get to.

JRjr

I was somewhere recently that had troughs, maybe Aviva in Dublin?

RIP to the pee walls of the old Lower East bathrooms, though - the ones you had to walk down a scaffolding stairway over a dirt hill under the stands to get to.

JRjr
It was Aviva. I was a bit surprised at first until I remembered everywhere else I had been in Ireland and the lack of concern for personal space while pissing.

I was playing poker recently here in Florida and the topic of college football was being discussed. I mentioned I was a Tech fan and unprovoked the first thing someone said was how ööööing ugly our stadium was. I tried to defend it and explain some of the reasons for it being the way it was, but no one gave a öööö. He wasn't wrong. It's a ööööing mess.

That's what the average non-Tech fan sees. A football stadium that looks like it was made from left over pieces of other football stadiums.

FWIW, I recently saw a short Instagram reel (which was probably also on Tiktok/YouTube/Facebook), with, I believe, the same guy in the video posted above dunking on how ugly the stadium was. So, while he might not be wrong, I suspect the immediate jump in conversation to our stadium's appearance wasn't exactly organic.

FWIW, I recently saw a short Instagram reel (which was probably also on Tiktok/YouTube/Facebook), with the same guy in the video posted above dunking on how ugly the stadium was. So, while he might not be wrong, I suspect the immediate jump in conversation to our stadium's appearance wasn't exactly organic.
Probably true.

I would also like to say that if we aren't going to "fix" it then we should begin to celebrate it and lean in to it.

The old "Green Monster" in Fenway comes to mind.

Accentuate the weirdness. Highlight it even. Paint all the different sections in the differing colors of the Institute. Make the North Stand the Great White Wall. The East Stands Blue. The West Stands Gold. Just an idea. Maybe something different would be better but somehow celebrate the "quirkiness" of the stadium.

Give a theme to each section of the stadium like some kind of Georgia Tech football theme park. The old, the really old, and the new. I definitely think there should be more history displayed and accentuated in the stadium. It's something to be proud of and bring attention to.

If you're gonna be "quirky", go full "quirky".

Ah Aviva. Many Guinesses a few weeks ago were had and shortly thereafter dispensed of. Piss Troughs make it easier when aiming.

Probably true.

I would also like to say that if we aren't going to "fix" it then we should begin to celebrate it and lean in to it.

The old "Green Monster" in Fenway comes to mind.

Accentuate the weirdness. Highlight it even. Paint all the different sections in the differing colors of the Institute. Make the North Stand the Great White Wall. The East Stands Blue. The West Stands Gold. Just an idea. Maybe something different would be better but somehow celebrate the "quirkiness" of the stadium.

Give a theme to each section of the stadium like some kind of Georgia Tech football theme park. The old, the really old, and the new. I definitely think there should be more history displayed and accentuated in the stadium. It's something to be proud of and bring attention to.

If you're gonna be "quirky", go full "quirky".
I still miss the columns in lower east. Was a great spot to hide while mixing a drink.

I still miss the columns in lower east. Was a great spot to hide while mixing a drink.
Sat behind one of those columns my sophomore year. Just thinking about it, I've sat:
- Lower East bleachers, where the Rats sat/stood
- Lower East
- Lower East Club Seating, had tix for years
- Upper East, we had a block of 60 seats, first 5 rows in 223, for years.....that was fun.
- Upper East top
- Old South stands, the horseshoe, for a Thanksgiving JV game
- Wardlaw club seating
- Old North stands
- New North stands, upper deck
- West stands
- West stands suite (my favorite)

Back