Expansion Rumors…

Georgia Tech Athletics has never been in a better spot?!? Are you ööööing delusional?

aHR0cHM6Ly9yYW1ibGlud3JlY2suY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDI0LzA2L1ZUXzExMTIxNV9ESy03MTIuanBn.jpg

JZWSZEFMDE6RLAJLR4Q7JJ6POE.jpg

aHR0cHM6Ly9yYW1ibGlud3JlY2suY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDIwLzA1LzE5ODZubzEtZTE1ODk0NzQ4MTQyNTUuanBn.jpg

These folks might disagree. See the year 1990 (and yes, I know the last picture isn't from 1990, but it's a great pic and the point remains).
Is that Todd Stansbury behind Bobby Ross?

Georgia Tech Athletics has never been in a better spot?!? Are you ööööing delusional?

aHR0cHM6Ly9yYW1ibGlud3JlY2suY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDI0LzA2L1ZUXzExMTIxNV9ESy03MTIuanBn.jpg

JZWSZEFMDE6RLAJLR4Q7JJ6POE.jpg

aHR0cHM6Ly9yYW1ibGlud3JlY2suY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDIwLzA1LzE5ODZubzEtZTE1ODk0NzQ4MTQyNTUuanBn.jpg

These folks might disagree. See the year 1990 (and yes, I know the last picture isn't from 1990, but it's a great pic and the point remains).
Tech beat UGA in the Fog Bowl so it's relevant

I've been saying this for years. Most people hate the idea and get defensive when I point it out.

There has never been a comprehensive long term plan for the stadium and adjoining buildings and as a result it has become a hodgepodge of ill conceived architectural warts, bound by all kinds of code restrictions, glommed together like some kind of nightmare facility fruitcake. None of it really works on it's own, and none of it really works together. It's a ööööing mess.

It would take many years to demolish and start with something new and there are so many hoops to jump through for getting approval by all of the governing bodies it would take years to even design and even then you might not be left with a stadium worth doing. You have historical buildings to take in to consideration as well.

Love it or hate it, I think we're kind of stuck with it to stay mostly as it is. Might as well learn to love it and all it's "quirkiness".
BDS is the Wrigley/Fenway/Lambeau of college football. I don't think we sell that enough. We talk about "oldest and winningest" but I think we should mention those places when we talk about our stadium. That's the best way to sell what we have.

Love it or hate it, I think we're kind of stuck with it to stay mostly as it is. Might as well learn to love it and all it's "quirkiness".

I already love the history and quirkiness of BDS. The last thing I want is some prefab erector set abomination like UCF plays in. Much better ways to spend a billion dollars than rebuilding the stadium.

JRjr

I've been saying this for years. Most people hate the idea and get defensive when I point it out.

There has never been a comprehensive long term plan for the stadium and adjoining buildings and as a result it has become a hodgepodge of ill conceived architectural warts, bound by all kinds of code restrictions, glommed together like some kind of nightmare facility fruitcake. None of it really works on it's own, and none of it really works together. It's a ööööing mess.

It would take many years to demolish and start with something new and there are so many hoops to jump through for getting approval by all of the governing bodies it would take years to even design and even then you might not be left with a stadium worth doing. You have historical buildings to take in to consideration as well.

And all you have to do is look at Northwestern to realize we are eventually be so far behind there may be no catching up.

Northwestern_RyanField_Rendering_CreditNU.jpg

BDS is the Wrigley/Fenway/Lambeau of college football. I don't think we sell that enough. We talk about "oldest and winningest" but I think we should mention those places when we talk about our stadium. That's the best way to sell what we have.
To about 35k fans it is. Wrigley/Fenway/Lambeau are much more beloved to even non-fans of the teams who call them home. Not one damn non GT fan in this or any other state gives a crap about BDS. A lot of those folks would be outraged to tear down Wrigley.

BDS should be rebuilt with an emphasis on keeping the city skyline views.

He does a pretty good job of explaining some of the issues. There are many more he doesn't have a clue about. Love it or hate it, we're stuck with it pretty much as it is.

If I had to guess, the North end zone stands is what will most likely be the next thing to change. As soon as they collect enough ticket revenue to pay the debt for that giant eyesore and maybe help pay for the replacement, I think that monstrosity will be on the chopping block. At least, I hope so.

To about 35k fans it is. Wrigley/Fenway/Lambeau are much more beloved to even non-fans of the teams who call them home. Not one damn non GT fan in this or any other state gives a crap about BDS. A lot of those folks would be outraged to tear down Wrigley.

I was playing poker recently here in Florida and the topic of college football was being discussed. I mentioned I was a Tech fan and unprovoked the first thing someone said was how ööööing ugly our stadium was. I tried to defend it and explain some of the reasons for it being the way it was, but no one gave a öööö. He wasn't wrong. It's a ööööing mess.

That's what the average non-Tech fan sees. A football stadium that looks like it was made from left over pieces of other football stadiums.

Nobody is going to show up because of our stadium.

No one thinks that way because we don’t sell it that way. Of course, winning helps, too.

There has never been a comprehensive long term plan for the stadium and adjoining buildings and as a result it has become a hodgepodge of ill conceived architectural warts, bound by all kinds of code restrictions, glommed together like some kind of nightmare facility fruitcake. None of it really works on it's own, and none of it really works together. It's a ööööing mess.hu

We should replace the bench seats in the East and West stands with state of the art chair back seats. Increase the ticket prices enough to pay for the cost immediately.

He does a pretty good job of explaining some of the issues. There are many more he doesn't have a clue about. Love it or hate it, we're stuck with it pretty much as it is.

If I had to guess, the North end zone stands is what will most likely be the next thing to change. As soon as they collect enough ticket revenue to pay the debt for that giant eyesore and maybe help pay for the replacement, I think that monstrosity will be on the chopping block. At least, I hope so.
The North End zone is the only ööööing part of the stadium that is psudo-modern. The West stands are like travelling back in time to 1972

I was playing poker recently here in Florida and the topic of college football was being discussed. I mentioned I was a Tech fan and unprovoked the first thing someone said was how ööööing ugly our stadium was. I tried to defend it and explain some of the reasons for it being the way it was, but no one gave a öööö. He wasn't wrong. It's a ööööing mess.

That's what the average non-Tech fan sees. A football stadium that looks like it was made from left over pieces of other football stadiums.
True. Looks like something a school like Temple or Rutgers should play in.

And all you have to do is look at Northwestern to realize we are eventually be so far behind there may be no catching up.

Northwestern_RyanField_Rendering_CreditNU.jpg
Not only this, but they have one of the most beautiful overall practice fields combined with indoor facility, etc right on the lake.

Back