Expansion Rumors…

I don't see Clemson and FSU in BIG. This one is a bad rumor.
Why not? All this AAU stuff was great in the old days of a year ago when a conference could be selective. Now, it’s a freaking war between the SEC and BIG and all rules are off the table. Why would the BIG hamper themselves with a stupid rule about AAU membership when only about 4 people care. And those schools would become AAU schools real quick after they join. If that happens I’ll give our admin credit where it’s due.

I strongly prefer GT in the SEC, but I cannot see any scenario where we get an invite. The SEC already owns Atlanta and conference expansion is all about TV markets not rivalries, tradition, common sense, etc. It sounds like the ACC’s grant of rights will be a major sticking point as well. I would love to see the conference make a power move of its own, but they won’t. Too many p__sies in NC and the conference office.

I strongly prefer GT in the SEC, but I cannot see any scenario where we get an invite. The SEC already owns Atlanta and conference expansion is all about TV markets not rivalries, tradition, common sense, etc. It sounds like the ACC’s grant of rights will be a major sticking point as well. I would love to see the conference make a power move of its own, but they won’t. Too many p__sies in NC and the conference office.
The only reason the SEC would take us would be to keep the Big 10 out of the south. GOR is definitely a sticking point, but if a conference wants or feels they need us bad enough, they will make it happen

I cannot verify this, other than to say that a usually pretty reliable source says that there is a lot of chatter going around Atlanta with some high up people in Atlanta that Tech could be well on its way to joining the big10 with Notre Dame, Clemson, and FSU. He said that news has also been all over Twitter for the last hour.
I'll believe it when I see it, but it definitely works for me. And you know the SEC will fight like hell to prevent it, because the last thing they want is a Big 10 presence in the Southeast.
They don’t give a damn. They aren’t going to fight it at all; if it was important, they’d simply invite us. Whether or not we end up in the B1G or a tier 2 is irrelevant to the power brokers.

They don’t give a damn. They aren’t going to fight it at all; if it was important, they’d simply invite us. Whether or not we end up in the B1G or a tier 2 is irrelevant to the power brokers.
The SEC obviously doesn't want us, but I think they would fight to keep the Big 10 from having a recruiting presence in the SE

I cannot verify this, other than to say that a usually pretty reliable source says that there is a lot of chatter going around Atlanta with some high up people in Atlanta that Tech could be well on its way to joining the big10 with Notre Dame, Clemson, and FSU. He said that news has also been all over Twitter for the last hour.
I'll believe it when I see it, but it definitely works for me. And you know the SEC will fight like hell to prevent it, because the last thing they want is a Big 10 presence in the Southeast.

I wish this were true. It would be one of the best unimportant things that ever happened in my life.

I’d rather see GT in the SEC but the BIG is more in line of where we need to be. We will get a chance to build in the BIG. SEC, many games will be like the ugag game.

If we were fortunate enough to get in either the Big 10 or the SEC, our athletic program would survive and thrive. I would be ecstatic and relieved to see Tech in either one, because there are only going to be two major conferences left. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

If the B10 thing happens it would be incredible. Can you imagine the marquee schedule we would have. GT FB would thrive IMO

I agree with you completely. In a way, the Big Ten might be better than the SEC. I don't know what's going to happen, but I think the SEC does not appreciate or value the strengths of Georgia Tech as much as the Big Ten does. Still, seeing Tech in either the Big Ten or the SEC would make me feel a lot better about the future of Tech sports.

The SEC doesn't want us. öööö the SEC. The SEC is more likely to make some type of under table deal with the Big 10 to keep Tech out of the Big 10 than to take Tech just because the Big 10 wants Tech. I like how the VA politicians get involved for their two big schools while the GA politicians don't give a rat's ass about Tech and would be just as happy leaving Tech floundering in the wind. So öööö the GA politicians too.

but I think the SEC does not appreciate or value the strengths of Georgia Tech as much as the Big Ten does.
What are those, at this point?
As was mentioned earlier, the SEC does not need us for the Atlanta TV market. Not one damn bit.
We really don't have a lot to offer right now. Football stinks, our hoops program has reached a new level of meh and our baseball program underachieves consistently.
Of course, I always figured on four 16-team super conferences. That was before UCLA and USC bolted the Pac 12.
Everybody is looking at ND. But I think the next domino to fall will be Oklahoma. It will be interesting to see who courts them and how successful they are.
I can see the ACC making a pitch for ND to be full time and then getting Kansas, figuring Clemson and ND give it a football toe hold and now it will own March Madness with UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville, UVa, et al.

As was mentioned earlier, the SEC does not need us for the Atlanta TV market. Not one damn bit.
We really don't have a lot to offer right now. Football stinks, our hoops program has reached a new level of meh and our baseball program underachieves consistently.
Of course, I always figured on four 16-team super conferences. That was before UCLA and USC bolted the Pac 12.
Everybody is looking at ND. But I think the next domino to fall will be Oklahoma. It will be interesting to see who courts them and how successful they are.
I can see the ACC making a pitch for ND to be full time and then getting Kansas, figuring Clemson and ND give it a football toe hold and now it will own March Madness with UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville, UVa, et al.
Oklahoma? Did you make a typo?

We should just quit the NCAA because it's broken to hell. I don't like college football as it currently exists.

Maybe just shut down the program for a while until we save up enough money for a grass field

I have another good idea which is to replace our entire coaching staff with students. They get grades based on how our team does. You know some overachiever students will figure out a way to win rather than get a B.

No one cares about basketball. It is almost as meaningless as baseball when it comes to conference realignment.

It’s not all about markets. Bringing a new market helps, but bringing in marque matchups is pretty high on the food chain from what I remember reading from UT/OU joining SEC last year. Tech comes packaged with built in rivalries with half the conference if we can jump start our program with some funding and coaching. Might not be enough to get the call from the SEC, but it’s not like we don’t offer anything to them either.

Back