Expansion Rumors…

Why not? All this AAU stuff was great in the old days of a year ago when a conference could be selective. Now, it’s a freaking war between the SEC and BIG and all rules are off the table. Why would the BIG hamper themselves with a stupid rule about AAU membership when only about 4 people care. And those schools would become AAU schools real quick after they join. If that happens I’ll give our admin credit where it’s due.

Definitely feels different this time around. Seems like the writing is on the wall and the SEC and B10 will move relatively quickly to get their top picks before the other one does. My guess would be ND, UNC, and UVA are probably “on the clock” right now as I would see those 3 as being highly coveted by both leagues. Either eat or be eaten, but maybe it’s just overblown freak-out-ery.

All of this expansion talk regarding ACC teams but nobody has figured out how to get around the stupid grant of media rights thing we signed over years ago? Doesn't that run for like 10 - 15 more years?

Last edited:
All of this expansion talk regarding ACC teams but nobody has figured out how to get around the stupid grant of media rights thing we signed over years ago? Doesn't that run for like 10 - 15 more years?
The way that goes away is if enough teams secretly jockey around to leave and do it all at once. It would take concert of action between sec and B1G to poison pill the acc.

The way that goes away is if enough teams secretly jockey around to leave and do it all at once. It would take concert of action between sec and B1G to poison pill the acc.
Which is why I doubt it's going to happen. I wish we could leave the ACC but I am afraid that the decision to give away the media rights might be just enough to screw over the entire league, except those teams who can afford the ridiculous buyout that would go along with it.

If this grant of media rights is the thing that prevents any ACC schools from switching conferences, why did these other conferences not do the same thing? Is the ACC that much smarter than the other conferences?

If this grant of media rights is the thing that prevents any ACC schools from switching conferences, why did these other conferences not do the same thing? Is the ACC that much smarter than the other conferences?

Media rights will be a non issue as more than 8 teams from the ACC will leave. SEC and B1G got to go shopping somewhere and we are getting to the point where the ACC schools are the most attractive targets remaining.

I do not hate the ACC. I would much rather play the old ACC schools Clemson and FSU and Miami and the schools in VA and NC. I hate the watered down ACC with BC, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville.

The SEC would be my preference but UGA will never let it happen even if there was a chance. I have no desire at all to be in a Midwest Rust Belt League with no history. I recognize that may be our only path to compete at the highest level, and if we do get an invite to the Big Ten I only hope it's as part of a package with other southern schools.

I do not hate the ACC. I would much rather play the old ACC schools Clemson and FSU and Miami and the schools in VA and NC. I hate the watered down ACC with BC, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville.

The SEC would be my preference but UGA will never let it happen even if there was a chance. I have no desire at all to be in a Midwest Rust Belt League with no history. I recognize that may be our only path to compete at the highest level, and if we do get an invite to the Big Ten I only hope it's as part of a package with other southern schools.
Miami is not an old ACC school, but your point is somewhat valid. I hate playing Duke and Wake and those are wasted football weekends as far as I’m concerned. UNC and modern uva are just about as bad.

Miami is not an old ACC school, but your point is somewhat valid. I hate playing Duke and Wake and those are wasted football weekends as far as I’m concerned. UNC and modern uva are just about as bad.

You're right, but I included them anyway. Miami and Virginia Tech were the only good expansion schools. Ironically at the time the stupid ACC wanted Syracuse to come with BC and it was only an act of Virginia politics that gave us VPI.

I'd rather play those NC schools than Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois. Gross. Recognizing that may be the only path we have to compete at the highest level though.

In my eyes, Notre Dame is so highly valued that all of the Big 10 teams would pool money to pay the ACC GOR buyout. After that, you could technically counter-sue the ACC if you were to leave for potential loss of revenue and breach of contract on the TV rights deal that would dwindle significantly. I'm no lawyer, but if I want out... I know ND is the next move and then that's the card I play.

In my eyes, Notre Dame is so highly valued that all of the Big 10 teams would pool money to pay the ACC GOR buyout. After that, you could technically counter-sue the ACC if you were to leave for potential loss of revenue and breach of contract on the TV rights deal that would dwindle significantly. I'm no lawyer, but if I want out... I know ND is the next move and then that's the card I play.
I hope you guys are correct. I hated that we and other ACC schools signed that stupid pact back when we did it and it seems that it may now be a factor in the current environment that might hold some teams back from potentially leaving.

I hope you guys are correct. I hated that we and other ACC schools signed that stupid pact back when we did it and it seems that it may now be a factor in the current environment that might hold some teams back from potentially leaving.
Couldn't agree more. It means we have to be reactive rather than proactive. If there's one thing I've learned in my kind of work, that's not how you succeed. I'd rather be good than lucky.

The ACC has themselves to blame. The Carolina centric leaders of this conference since the mid 80’s (40 years) have been Corrigan (former Duke Lacrosse player) and Swofford (former UNC football player). Those guys were not forward thinking leaders. They lived in the moment and were fat and happy attending cocktail parties on the backs of Duke and UNC basketball. They totally got outmaneuvered when it came to the explosion of money and resources. And here we are.

The ACC has themselves to blame. The Carolina centric leaders of this conference since the mid 80’s (40 years) have been Corrigan (former Duke Lacrosse player) and Swofford (former UNC football player). Those guys were not forward thinking leaders. They lived in the moment and were fat and happy attending cocktail parties on the backs of Duke and UNC basketball. They totally got outmaneuvered when it came to the explosion of money and resources. And here we are.
100% true.

Back