Expansion Rumors…

So much weak-ass homerism on this thread, especially regarding Et-Lanta, which much/most of the rest of the country regards as a sewer. I LOL at the way some of you over-rate you and yours. Pathetic.
I think you got Atlanta confused with Detroit.

Sometimes I think the GT brand is more popular as well outside Georgia.
It's definitely more highly regarded. Football used to be as well, but now all I get is "wtf did you guys do to your football team?". We were seen as a dangerous game particulrly if they didn't have an extra week to prepare, etc now it's mark it down auto-win.

The thing keeping GT back is we're a state school trying to be a national interest school like Notre Dame, Stanford, Dook. It just doesn't work when the people paying the bills are not focused on developing a thriving city & state with high end companies and are more interested in maintaining the status quo.

Politicians WILL get involved at the state level in the case of Virginia and North Carolina. UNC and NC State would have to go in a package deal, same for UVA-VPI
VA Tech was built like an SEC program and the brand may be better the UVA. NC State and UNC would be great schools for SEC as well. I only hope they get GT in for history and to lock down the SE. I could see the SEC taking all the schools south of Maryland excepting Wake. But would they bring the incremental $ for the final sharing of the pie. We are down in b-ball and football at the wrong time!

I’d rather see GT in the SEC but the BIG is more in line of where we need to be. We will get a chance to build in the BIG. SEC, many games will be like the ugag game.
Our history with Auburn and Tennessee could get us a full stadium. The $ could start the program growth. Sorry but GT v Indiana or GT v Illinois sound like a suck Saturday....no rival travel and crickets on game talk.

VA Tech was built like an SEC program and the brand may be better the UVA. NC State and UNC would be great schools for SEC as well. I only hope they get GT in for history and to lock down the SE. I could see the SEC taking all the schools south of Maryland excepting Wake. But would they bring the incremental $ for the final sharing of the pie. We are down in b-ball and football at the wrong time!
Remember, VT has never won a natty. In anything. Ever.

Likewise. I work for a global company and they love Atlanta. Sometimes I think the GT brand is more popular as well outside Georgia.
It absolutely is. Everyone else thinks an elite, specialized engineering school in a big city that also plays major football is really cool...except for Georgians, who just do not get it at all. Go on the college football subreddit, forums from other conferences, etc, and GT gets way more love than we do from even our own fans. We get a ton of talk from Big Ten/SEC fans wanting us to join/viewing us as a great candidate, and then on here, half the posters think we have no chance because we've sucked at football for a few years.

I'm not a Collins fan at all, but he does deserve credit for seeing that GT does have a strong brand (much stronger than UGA's, pound for pound) and trying to do something with it.

Listen, I’m a fan of Tech football. And I want it to survive and play against good teams. Enthusiasm will grow if Tech is good.

Can you imagine a non full stadium if Michigan, Ohio state, Wisconsin,USC, Penn State, or Iowa comes to town?
Auburn, SC,TN, and likely still Clemson and FSU. I am sure that I underestimate the Big 10 but I know who travels in the south. Add in TX and AM. I think the SEC is the best path or it may be the simplistic and most easily expected path.

It absolutely is. Everyone else thinks an elite, specialized engineering school in a big city that also plays major football is really cool...except for Georgians, who just do not get it at all. Go on the college football subreddit, forums from other conferences, etc, and GT gets way more love than we do from even our own fans. We get a ton of talk from Big Ten/SEC fans wanting us to join/viewing us as a great candidate, and then on here, half the posters think we have no chance because we've sucked at football for a few years.
I think we sell out for all Big 10 games. All of the schools have significant alumni in the area who rarely get to see their teams, traveling to Atlanta is easy and the College Football Hall of Fame is a bonus. We need the money to begin to rebuild our program and eliminate our debt. With a new AD and a new coach we can turn the corner.

I think we sell out for all Big 10 games. All of the schools have significant alumni in the area who rarely get to see their teams, traveling to Atlanta is easy and the College Football Hall of Fame is a bonus. We need the money to begin to rebuild our program and eliminate our debt. With a new AD and a new coach we can turn the corner.

It makes sense on every level, which is why I can't believe it will actually happen.

Back