Expansion Rumors…

You get so butthurt so easy. They probably have meds that can help.
Whaaaaa....you going to keep crybabying in every thread and being captain Hindsight? Guess what, we didn't can Collins after year 2. Relentlessly crying because you didn't get your way isn't going to make it happen, unless you are gonna make a time machine and head back and make it happen.

I'm kind of laughing at UT and OU joining the SEC. What a brutal schedule they are going to have to play. I laughed when A&M joined the SEC. Sure, they beat Alabama that 1st year with Manziel, but if they had stayed in the Big XII that year (a down year) they likely would have run the table and been undefeated and playing in the national championship. I guess money is more important than wins or championships now.

Whaaaaa....you going to keep crybabying in every thread and being captain Hindsight? Guess what, we didn't can Collins after year 2. Relentlessly crying because you didn't get your way isn't going to make it happen, unless you are gonna make a time machine and head back and make it happen.
It's not hindsight. A lot of us recognized his "hype" as pre-failure excuse making. Didn't like the hire from day one but hoped he'd be a pleasant surprise eventually. It quickly became apparent he was in way over his head. It is what it is and we are stuck with him for at least a few more games. How much past a few more losses Tech keeps him just becomes a bigger failure for TStan as his losses continue.

Who out there would hire Collins for a head gig? No one in P5. Who would hire him as a DC? Probably only a good personal friend. Dude can't coach and it's past time to move on. The biggest problem we have is our need for an AD that can identify a good replacement for him. Unless TStan contracts that out we are screwed.

It's not hindsight. A lot of us recognized his "hype" as pre-failure excuse making. Didn't like the hire from day one but hoped he'd be a pleasant surprise eventually. It quickly became apparent he was in way over his head. It is what it is and we are stuck with him for at least a few more games. How much past a few more losses Tech keeps him just becomes a bigger failure for TStan as his losses continue.

Who out there would hire Collins for a head gig? No one in P5. Who would hire him as a DC? Probably only a good personal friend. Dude can't coach and it's past time to move on. The biggest problem we have is our need for an AD that can identify a good replacement for him. Unless TStan contracts that out we are screwed.
"A lot", eh? Well that is certainly the kind of stat I would expect from Captain Hindsight

"A lot", eh? Well that is certainly the kind of stat I would expect from Captain Hindsight
Enough to make those easily butthurt, rage at our low opinion of the hire when it was made. On this board and others. But yes the majority liked the hire initially. Typical of most new hires. Don't be mad just because you were on the wrong side of that argument and it's painfully obvious now.

I see that the UC regents are not happy with UCLA leaving if they don't also take Cal. Also BIG rumored to offer more PAC teams to fill out west wing. SEC getting antsy about getting left behind likely to exert pressure on ESPN to release ACC from GOR so they can take Clemson, FSU Miami, UVA, UNC some combo.

I see that the UC regents are not happy with UCLA leaving if they don't also take Cal. Also BIG rumored to offer more PAC teams to fill out west wing. SEC getting antsy about getting left behind likely to exert pressure on ESPN to release ACC from GOR so they can take Clemson, FSU Miami, UVA, UNC some combo.
ESPN can’t “release” anyone from the GOR

ESPN can’t “release” anyone from the GOR
If ESPN and the schools want to end the GOR the conference either releases the schools or they vote to dissolve the conference. ESPN will want to keep the schools locked up by having them in their megaconference (SEC) not losing these schools later to FOX, CBS, NBC or a streaming bidder. If SEC agrees to take 8 of the schools the deal could be done and the SEC would reach 24. The ACC would be no more and the 6 schools that were odd man out would be looking for a new home, either merge into the B12 or demotion.

The thing driving this now is the expansion of the CFP which needs to be agreed and implemented in a couple of years. I'd post some links but you guys would just bitch and moan about the guys team affiliation and accent.

Last edited:
I'm kind of laughing at UT and OU joining the SEC. What a brutal schedule they are going to have to play. I laughed when A&M joined the SEC. Sure, they beat Alabama that 1st year with Manziel, but if they had stayed in the Big XII that year (a down year) they likely would have run the table and been undefeated and playing in the national championship. I guess money is more important than wins or championships now.
It sounds like you would prefer an easier ACC schedule and spurn an invite to the B1G or SEC?

It sounds like you would prefer an easier ACC schedule and spurn an invite to the B1G or SEC?
I don’t know about H-town, but I’d actually prefer us to play an ACC schedule AND for conferences to roll back to ten teams each or less. (I kind of miss the old days of the SWC, the Big Eight, and the Big Ten with only 10 teams). However, it doesn’t look like those days are going to be coming back, and if the ACC falls apart I pray GT can land in one of the remaining super conferences.

I don’t know about H-town, but I’d actually prefer us to play an ACC schedule AND for conferences to roll back to ten teams each or less. (I kind of miss the old days of the SWC, the Big Eight, and the Big Ten with only 10 teams). However, it doesn’t look like those days are going to be coming back, and if the ACC falls apart I pray GT can land in one of the remaining super conferences.
Without a doubt the old days of geographically sensible smaller conferences was the golden age of CFB but we can never return to those days in the streaming media technology modern era. Either adapt or become a dinosaur. That's why we should all wish we are part of a new mega conference. GT has lots to offer and it wont be a charity invite but we still need to do whatever it takes to be part of the new world order.

Without a doubt the old days of geographically sensible smaller conferences was the golden age of CFB but we can never return to those days in the streaming media technology modern era. Either adapt or become a dinosaur. That's why we should all wish we are part of a new mega conference. GT has lots to offer and it wont be a charity invite but we still need to do whatever it takes to be part of the new world order.
If only we had a president and/or AD who cared. Our only hope is that Cabrera wants to pal around with his AAU buddies in the Big 10+ and that the Big 10+ wants an Atlanta outpost and the increased revenue from Georgia subscribers.

If ESPN and the schools want to end the GOR the conference either releases the schools or they vote to dissolve the conference. ESPN will want to keep the schools locked up by having them in their megaconference (SEC) not losing these schools later to FOX, CBS, NBC or a streaming bidder. If SEC agrees to take 8 of the schools the deal could be done and the SEC would reach 24. The ACC would be no more and the 6 schools that were odd man out would be looking for a new home, either merge into the B12 or demotion.

The thing driving this now is the expansion of the CFP which needs to be agreed and implemented in a couple of years. I'd post some links but you guys would just bitch and moan about the guys team affiliation and accent.

IMO, the B1G excluded ESPN for a reason. They got the big payout and will soon create a situation where ESPN will beg (with $$) to get back into the deal. ESPN will happily discard the GOR in order to move that money (and 8 of the ACC teams) into both the B1G and SEC.

B1G will gladly endorse this if ESPN agrees to pay enough to pay the additional ACC teams at the same rate (or more) per team as the new Fox deal pays. This will allow the B1G to grow to the extra size that it wants without $ dilution, and the SEC will gladly take Clemson, FSU, and two other "Brands" (probably UNC, Miami).

This is why I think this deal accelerates consolidation (as soon as the college presidents agree to a larger playoff), and I think it also is our best chance of being one of the 4 ACC teams to make the cut into the B1G without having to be a huge Brand.
Having been excluded, ESPN will pay the fee just to get access back into the B1G.

Last edited:
IMO, the B1G excluded ESPN for a reason. They got the big payout and will soon create a situation where ESPN will beg (with $$) to get back into the deal. ESPN will happily discard the GOR in order to move that money (and 8 of the ACC teams) into both the B1G and SEC.

B1G will gladly endorse this if ESPN agrees to pay enough to pay the additional ACC teams at the same rate (or more) per team as the new Fox deal pays. This will allow the B1G to grow to the extra size that it wants without $ dilution, and the SEC will gladly take Clemson, FSU, and two other "Brands" (probably UNC, Miami).

This is why I think this deal accelerates consolidation (as soon as the college presidents agree to a larger playoff), and I think it also is our best chance of being one of the 4 ACC teams to make the cut into the B1G without having to be a huge Brand.
Having been excluded, ESPN will pay the fee just to get access back into the B1G.

Or the Big Trn simply protected themselves from the SEC west coast attack. Think about it, why only two schools out west if you really wanted to thwart the SEC and destroy college football?
It’s possible that the Big Trn has left the ACC alone to survive with ESPN and the SEC. The ACC is somewhat trapped geographically, let them survive with $50M a year. The Big Trn has the money but college football has not been destroyed (yet). That’s a win win for the Big Trn.
Add in the number of teams the Big Trn will get in the playoffs annually, they don’t have to do anything else.

Back