Expansion Rumors…

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
I cannot verify this, other than to say that a usually pretty reliable source says that there is a lot of chatter going around Atlanta with some high up people in Atlanta that Tech could be well on its way to joining the big10 with Notre Dame, Clemson, and FSU. He said that news has also been all over Twitter for the last hour.
I'll believe it when I see it, but it definitely works for me. And you know the SEC will fight like hell to prevent it, because the last thing they want is a Big 10 presence in the Southeast.
We really need some good news. This would brighten my day.

FightOn!Jacket

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
All 5 schools are in big cities with NFL teams.
LA, Chicago, Nashville, DC and San Fran.
Exactly. DRad cited The Braves and Falcons as obstacles to $$$ to support GT athletics.
This doesn’t have anything to do with the lack of attendance at NW, UCLA, Vandy, Maryland, Cal or GT. Each school outside of maybe Maryland is the “other” school when it comes to fans. And even Maryland has to compete with the Virginia schools. Chicago is ND, Los Angeles is USC, and hate to tell you, Atlanta / Georgia is UGA.

Add in the product on the field overall lately, and it is what it is. The Falcons and Braves have zero impact on a GT game on Saturday. UGA, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, etc do. Even under Johnson when GT was “good” the empty stands were quite evident on TV. GT’s biggest issue is a lack of student support. The combination of lack of student support, small alumni base and a dwindling sidewalk fan support are what the GTAA with the support of the school need to fix. This applies to hoops as well. GT is currently the worst program in the ACC in both of the revenue sports. There really is no excuse for that in a metro area / state with the population that has almost doubled since 2000.

bandman

Damn Good Rat
I was pleasantly surprised at how many students were at the game last week, at least until the third quarter.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This doesn’t have anything to do with the lack of attendance at NW, UCLA, Vandy, Maryland, Cal or GT. Each school outside of maybe Maryland is the “other” school when it comes to fans. And even Maryland has to compete with the Virginia schools. Chicago is ND, Los Angeles is USC, and hate to tell you, Atlanta / Georgia is UGA.

Add in the product on the field overall lately, and it is what it is. The Falcons and Braves have zero impact on a GT game on Saturday. UGA, Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, etc do. Even under Johnson when GT was “good” the empty stands were quite evident on TV. GT’s biggest issue is a lack of student support. The combination of lack of student support, small alumni base and a dwindling sidewalk fan support are what the GTAA with the support of the school need to fix. This applies to hoops as well. GT is currently the worst program in the ACC in both of the revenue sports. There really is no excuse for that in a metro area / state with the population that has almost doubled since 2000.
But there is a chicken and egg effect. Yes, the $ support for GT sports is low. And yes that contributes to poor sports, and poor sports contributes to poor attendance.

The Atlanta Braves and the Atlanta Falcons ABSOLUTELY hurt Georgia Tech athletics.
1. Households only have so much money to devote towards entertainment. The Braves and The Falcons steal that business from GT.

2. They compete with GT on the airwaves and local broadcasting.

Every big SEC program is based in a college town and does not compete with any professional teams. That’s why it “matters more”. I lived in Gainesville Florida for five years. They talk Florida Gator football down there 24/7/365. That’s all you hear on the radio. You’re lucky if 680 the fan or the zone gives Georgia Tech 15 minutes of coverage in any 24 hour period.

there was a time before the Braves and the Falcons where Georgia Tech was the only game in town. That’s when Georgia Tech was dominant in sports. It’s not an accident that Georgia Tech got worse as the Falcons and the Braves arrive. It’s an inconvenient truth. But it’s the truth.

Beeski

Dodd-Like
an interesting read on why GT left the SEC, from Quora:

gtphd

What a time to be alive
And I thought it was time for our annual conference transition rumors

MeatWrench

Holder of all Moon records
And I thought it was time for our annual conference transition rumors
I heard we are going to start a new conference with several other schools but to be considered you have to be in a large metropolitan area.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
I heard we are going to start a new conference with several other schools but to be considered you have to be in a large metropolitan area.
I heard the Premier League might come after GT to get Atlanta TV rights.

stinger78

Jacket by the grace of God.
Braves don’t compete with Tech. But I’m all for eliminating the Falcons
They compete for entertainment $$$. I know quite a few guys who are just pro sports fans and don't really follow college ball.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
an interesting read on why GT left the SEC, from Quora:
notagain.jpg

You resurrected a four month dead thread to post this öööö which isn't even on topic?

Of all the stupid things the mods gere banhammer folks for, but they let this crap slide. Mind-boggling.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Texas & Oklahoma pay big to leave Big 12 early. That ACC buyout not looking as big of a hindrance as it once was.

The ACC has a grant of right, not a buyout.

Let’s say UNC switches to the SEC. The ACC receives the revenue from all games played on UNC’s campus even if they’re SEC games played on an SEC Network. And that goes to 2036.

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
The ACC has a grant of right, not a buyout.

Let’s say UNC switches to the SEC. The ACC receives the revenue from all games played on UNC’s campus even if they’re SEC games played on an SEC Network. And that goes to 2036.
What if they played home games at a neutral site or an off campus stadium Until the GOR runs out?