Expansion Rumors…

Oh great, with the resurrection of this thread we get 10 more pages of crybabies whining about being in the Big 10.
And another 10 pages of morons taking a dump on Bobby Dodd for leaving the SEC.

And you KNOW that if we were actually in the Little14 or SEC getting creamed year after year by tOSU, UMich, Wisconsin, PSU, Bama, LSU, UF, Auburn, etc. , , , these exact same a-holes would be crying about how we should have joined the ACC 40+ years ago, where it is so much easier to win against weak competition.

What are those, at this point?
As was mentioned earlier, the SEC does not need us for the Atlanta TV market. Not one damn bit.
We really don't have a lot to offer right now. Football stinks, our hoops program has reached a new level of meh and our baseball program underachieves consistently.
Of course, I always figured on four 16-team super conferences. That was before UCLA and USC bolted the Pac 12.
Everybody is looking at ND. But I think the next domino to fall will be Oklahoma. It will be interesting to see who courts them and how successful they are.
I can see the ACC making a pitch for ND to be full time and then getting Kansas, figuring Clemson and ND give it a football toe hold and now it will own March Madness with UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville, UVa, et al.
You were 50% correct. Missed Texas.

You were 50% correct. Missed Texas.
Didn’t count them since they’ll probably re-secede from the Union

Big 12 now has an extra $100 million in its bank
Wonder if they’ll use that as a NIL collective to get recruits away from the SEC

Oh great, with the resurrection of this thread we get 10 more pages of crybabies whining about being in the Big 10.
Going to Charlottesville, Louisville, Syracuse, and Boston is a massive downer. I cannot imagine going to Lincoln, Iowa City, Minneapolis, Madison, and Ann Arbor, et al.

How fitting and current. Everything today is about money.
It has always been about money. Today is no different. Just because many fans are just now realizing it doesn’t change history. If anything it shows how many people have been living in a bubble for decades. None of this is new. You don’t think Bear Bryant was pressuring TV execs back in the day for his team to be “the game of the week”. It’s a different scale now but it’s the exact same system. GT has gone from the SEC to Independent to the ACC. There will be a next stop at some point. And they were all about money.

How fitting and current. Everything today is about money.
I'm sure, in your life, you live in some sort of cult co-op where money is a non factor, however, in CFB, going to Athens and seeing the palace they have built to the football gods and then travelling to GT and hearing "we had to pay to paint and perform routine maintenance on the stadium so we broke and need a loan" makes a little bit of difference in us becoming a successful program.

In the BIG10, the Edge building would have ALREADY been replaced.

I'm sure, in your life, you live in some sort of cult co-op where money is a non factor, however, in CFB, going to Athens and seeing the palace they have built to the football gods and then travelling to GT and hearing "we had to pay to paint and perform routine maintenance on the stadium so we broke and need a loan" makes a little bit of difference in us becoming a successful program.

In the BIG10, the Edge building would have ALREADY been replaced.
No, I don’t live in such a world, but I do live in one in which prostitution is considered unseemly.

It has always been about money. Today is no different. Just because many fans are just now realizing it doesn’t change history. If anything it shows how many people have been living in a bubble for decades. None of this is new. You don’t think Bear Bryant was pressuring TV execs back in the day for his team to be “the game of the week”. It’s a different scale now but it’s the exact same system. GT has gone from the SEC to Independent to the ACC. There will be a next stop at some point. And they were all about money.
At some point it’s a matter of degrees. Paying $100 for a nice steak off a dead cow is good occasionally. Paying $1M for your neighbors to be eliminated to get their stuff is not.

Minneapolis, Ann Arbor, Madison, and East Lansing would be fun places to visit, so long as we get them in August/September
Matter of opinion. I had the chance to work in Madison, WI early on. I chose not to. I was close enough working for companies HQ’d in Chicago and NYC.

At some point it’s a matter of degrees. Paying $100 for a nice steak off a dead cow is good occasionally. Paying $1M for your neighbors to be eliminated to get their stuff is not.
I really thought you were gonna go with "you can stick your head up a bull's ass, but I'd just take the butcher's word for it."

I feel like it’s a good thing to keep the conference together. If it breaks apart, Tech is highly likely to be a beggar and not a chooser.

… you can try to convince yourself with the “Atlanta TV market” all you want, but it’s not true. We need several good years to change the perspective on our programs.

This. Our football program has been bottom 1/3 of the ACC for the last decade. Our basketball program is possibly the worst in the ACC since 2001. That 2nd one is kinda hard to believe but run the numbers. We are more of a liability than an asset to the conference these days with how bad our programs suck.

So you don't think an additional $20-$30 million a season wouldn't help us build better facilities, recruit better, and compete with UGAg? You are fine with status quo?
What has all that Little-14 cash done for Maryland? Not a damn thing. Has all that sweet, sweet, SEC mullah made Vamderbilt a winning football program?

Our facilities are not preventing us from winning. And we could have an extra $50 miillion. We will still NEVER out-croot those goobers in Athens.

I am NOT fine with the Status Quo. I just don't think more money would make things better as long as The Powers That Be keep making really, really, REALLY, bad coaching decisions for the two most popular college sports.

I just don't think more money would make things better as long as The Powers That Be keep making really, really, REALLY, bad coaching decisions for the two most popular college sports.
This reads like money has nothing to do with the decisions. You don’t think more money would let us hire better coaches and fire the bad ones faster?

This reads like money has nothing to do with the decisions. You don’t think more money would let us hire better coaches and fire the bad ones faster?
No. It would have only enabled TStan to keep making bad decisions longer if he had more money.

Back