Expansion Rumors…

Below I've listed our conference W/L over the last decade. There are 14 teams, not counting ND, so the bottom 3rd is 10-14. We have been 10 or lower 4x in the last decade. Three of those 4 were under TFG and the 4th was CPJ's 2015 team after heavy graduation and a rash of injury severely depleted our team. That team was sandwiched between teams that won Orange Bowl and Gator Bowl championships. We lost a lot of close games that year and still beat an undefeated FSU. Our record was far worse than our team in 2015.

Still, there are several other mediocre teams in that list, but none were bottom 3rd in the ACC. The last 4 years have been bad but why make it worse than it was?

2022: 4-4 (t-6)
2021: 2-6 (t-11)
2020: 3-6 (10)
2019: 2-6 (t-12)
2018: 5-3 (t-4)
2017: 4-4 (t-5)
2016: 4-4 (t-8)
2015: 1-7 (t-12)
2014: 6-2 (t-2)
2013: 5-3 (t-4)

Run the full numbers and find out where we fall. Regardless, we are currently in the bottom 1/3 for sure

Check how who is on top in basketball. More money means competitive sports all around. ACC basketball is drifting away…

Run the full numbers and find out where we fall. Regardless, we are currently in the bottom 1/3 for sure
Why don't you just share the full numbers with us? We were in the bottom 3rd in 2019-21, but last year seemed to pull out of it. Still not great, but better. We'll see this fall where that all goes.

Why don't you just share the full numbers with us? We were in the bottom 3rd in 2019-21, but last year seemed to pull out of it. Still not great, but better. We'll see this fall where that all goes.
I ran the full numbers for the last decade. We're still in the bottom 3. And while I am a fan of CPJ, if you run the full numbers for the first six years of the decade, it only moves us to the middle of the pack. The last five years are even uglier.

I ran the full numbers for the last decade. We're still in the bottom 3. And while I am a fan of CPJ, if you run the full numbers for the first six years of the decade, it only moves us to the middle of the pack. The last five years are even uglier.
What are the "full numbers" you speak of? Please educate me.

CPJ's last 4 years were not at the same level as his first 7 years, but I would doubt bottom 3rd is accurate. So, I'd like to know what metrics you used to determine that.

What are the "full numbers" you speak of? Please educate me.

CPJ's last 4 years were not at the same level as his first 7 years, but I would doubt bottom 3rd is accurate. So, I'd like to know what metrics you used to determine that.
I looked at total wins for each conference team over the last ten years (Pitt and Louisville jumped in early on in the decade. So, I included their record from their prior conferences). CPJ's last six years averaged 7 wins (the beginning of the decade count), which was smack in the middle of the conference. It was Collins that drug us to the bottom.

And they didn’t win shiite before but now they have a better chance than in massive debt
Bull öööö.

Practially everyone Maryland plays now has the same or more money, except one or maybe two out of conference patsies each year. And instead of playing Duke, Virginia, Clemson, Wake and Tech, in the Little-14 last season they got UMIch, tOSU, PSU, MSU, Wisconsin . . .

This is their 10th year in the Little-14. In that time, they're 45-60.

So exactly when the öööö is all that winning supposed to happen?

Bull öööö.

Practially everyone Maryland plays now has the same or more money, except one or maybe two out of conference patsies each year. And instead of playing Duke, Virginia, Clemson, Wake and Tech, in the Little-14 last season they got UMIch, tOSU, PSU, MSU, Wisconsin . . .

This is their 10th year in the Little-14. In that time, they're 45-60.

So exactly when the öööö is all that winning supposed to happen?
We are NOT Maryland. Try to stop making us Maryland. We are in much richer recruiting territory. FWIW, we aren't Rutgers either.

I looked at total wins for each conference team over the last ten years (Pitt and Louisville jumped in early on in the decade. So, I included their record from their prior conferences). CPJ's last six years averaged 7 wins (the beginning of the decade count), which was smack in the middle of the conference. It was Collins that drug us to the bottom.
Right. That would be a metric I would choose as it's all about wins and losses. I would expect us to be in the middle as your look revealed. So then, here's my question: How is being "smack in the middle" the same as being bottom third for most of the decade? That's pretty much the definition of being middle third. Maybe I'm conflating yours and corndog's positions.

We are NOT Maryland. Try to stop making us Maryland. We are in much richer recruiting territory. FWIW, we aren't Rutgers either.
Tech is 49-60 since Maryland left the ACC for the Little-14. Maryland is 45-60.

Anyone who thinks we would win more games against the Little-14 schedule that Maryland plays than against the woeful ACC where we play is one really dumb mother ööööer. I mean, dwag-athlete level dumb.

And please stop with the recruiting territory bull öööö like it's still 1963. Recruiting is national and has been for many years. The Portal and NIL make things even more national. Maryland's QB last year was from Hawaii. Haynes King is from Texas. Anyway, Maryland has CLEAR recruiting advantages compared to Tech. They don't have to compete against Georgia, Alabama, and Clemson for every decent player in their home state (and adjacent places like DC).

But with all the Little-14 money in the world, Maryland STILL couldn't keep Caleb Williams at home. He went to a school with all that major TV money from the . . . .Big 12! :lol: RIGHT in the outskirts of our own metro area and we couldn't keep Sunshine from crossing the border. Couldn't land Justin Fields from Cobb County. Dylan Lonerghan from ööööing Snellville. So please, tell me again how we're not Maryland.

And BTW, Utah has an even crappier home recruiting backyard than Maryland or us, and a lot less money than Maryland, and a smaller stadium than us. They've won back-to-back PAC-12s and played in back-to-back Rose Bowls. How the hell have they accomplished this miracle? Their coaches got off their fat asses and found undervalued talent in Texas and Kalifornia and recuited it. Real rocket surgery stuff.

Right. That would be a metric I would choose as it's all about wins and losses. I would expect us to be in the middle as your look revealed. So then, here's my question: How is being "smack in the middle" the same as being bottom third for most of the decade? That's pretty much the definition of being middle third. Maybe I'm conflating yours and corndog's positions.
I think the following comment helps answer that question.

Tech is 49-60 since Maryland left the ACC...
That's pretty much when the decade began. Of those 49 wins, 20 (40%) came in two seasons. The other eight seasons of the decade we averaged 3.6 wins per season. Basically, 2 big seasons pulled us up to the middle at the beginning. We weren't getting 7-8 wins per season.

Tech is 49-60 since Maryland left the ACC for the Little-14. Maryland is 45-60.

Anyone who thinks we would win more games against the Little-14 schedule that Maryland plays than against the woeful ACC where we play is one really dumb mother ööööer. I mean, dwag-athlete level dumb.

And please stop with the recruiting territory bull öööö like it's still 1963. Recruiting is national and has been for many years. The Portal and NIL make things even more national. Maryland's QB last year was from Hawaii. Haynes King is from Texas. Anyway, Maryland has CLEAR recruiting advantages compared to Tech. They don't have to compete against Georgia, Alabama, and Clemson for every decent player in their home state (and adjacent places like DC).

But with all the Little-14 money in the world, Maryland STILL couldn't keep Caleb Williams at home. He went to a school with all that major TV money from the . . . .Big 12! :lol: RIGHT in the outskirts of our own metro area and we couldn't keep Sunshine from crossing the border. Couldn't land Justin Fields from Cobb County. Dylan Lonerghan from ööööing Snellville. So please, tell me again how we're not Maryland.

And BTW, Utah has an even crappier home recruiting backyard than Maryland or us, and a lot less money than Maryland, and a smaller stadium than us. They've won back-to-back PAC-12s and played in back-to-back Rose Bowls. How the hell have they accomplished this miracle? Their coaches got off their fat asses and found undervalued talent in Texas and Kalifornia and recuited it. Real rocket surgery stuff.
You don't think having $30 million more a season and being GT in Atlanta won't make a bit of difference?

This is a BS statistic for predicting our longterm potential success in the B1G, as GT hired its worst coach in school history on the back of transitioning out of the 3O. It's too small a sample size for drawing a conclusion.
But he is all in staying in the AAC.....I mean, ACC

And stop damn comparing us to Maryland already. We won a natty because a coach left Maryland for here. We are NOT COMPARABLE TO MARYLAND.

We are just damn broke.

I think the following comment helps answer that question.

That's pretty much when the decade began. Of those 49 wins, 20 (40%) came in two seasons. The other eight seasons of the decade we averaged 3.6 wins per season. Basically, 2 big seasons pulled us up to the middle at the beginning. We weren't getting 7-8 wins per season.
For the 2010's here are our wins/season:
  • 2010 - 6 wins
  • 2011 - 8 wins
  • 2012 - 7 wins
  • 2013 - 7 wins
  • 2014 - 11 wins
  • 2015 - 3 wins
  • 2016 - 9 wins
  • 2017 - 5 wins
  • 2018 - 8 wins
  • 2019 - 3 wins
That's 8 or more 3x (likely upper third), 5 or less 3x (likely lower third), and 6-7 wins 3x (likely middle third). That's a pretty even distribution with 67% at middle third or above. Collins' is the one who deep-sixed the program, not anyone before him... recently.

For the 2010's here are our wins/season:
  • 2010 - 6 wins
  • 2011 - 8 wins
  • 2012 - 7 wins
  • 2013 - 7 wins
  • 2014 - 11 wins
  • 2015 - 3 wins
  • 2016 - 9 wins
  • 2017 - 5 wins
  • 2018 - 8 wins
  • 2019 - 3 wins
That's 8 or more 3x (likely upper third), 5 or less 3x (likely lower third), and 6-7 wins 3x (likely middle third). That's a pretty even distribution with 67% at middle third or above. Collins' is the one who deep-sixed the program, not anyone before him... recently.
I dont think we won 8 in 2018

And stop damn comparing us to Maryland already. We won a natty because a coach left Maryland for here. We are NOT COMPARABLE TO MARYLAND.

We are just damn broke.
Even if the fans know that, Tech has a perception issue among young people and recruits that can only be fixed through either A; more money, or B; winning - which is hard without money. Brand awareness stems from winning, not the other way around. The Adidas rebranding was long overdue and great for the fans/alumni, but recruits don’t care. The Tech athletic brand just doesn’t carry any weight anymore, even in Atlanta. The upper echelon of college football is a completely different sport now, of course we’re not Maryland - we know that, but to the rest of the college football world, who cares? You’re either Alabama or you’re not, and I hate to be a doomer but damn if it isn’t a sad state of affairs right now - not just for us, but the sport as a whole.

Back