Expansion Rumors…

Even if the fans know that, Tech has a perception issue among young people and recruits that can only be fixed through either A; more money, or B; winning - which is hard without money. Brand awareness stems from winning, not the other way around. The Adidas rebranding was long overdue and great for the fans/alumni, but recruits don’t care. The Tech athletic brand just doesn’t carry any weight anymore, even in Atlanta. The upper echelon of college football is a completely different sport now, of course we’re not Maryland - we know that, but to the rest of the college football world, who cares? You’re either Alabama or you’re not, and I hate to be a doomer but damn if it isn’t a sad state of affairs right now - not just for us, but the sport as a whole.
Tell me about Maryland's recruiting area. Now tell me about GT's. Not comparable. We are in a hotbed of football. They are???

You don't think having $30 million more a season and being GT in Atlanta won't make a bit of difference?
No.

You clowns with "ATLANTA!!!" No one - no one - gives a öööö. Name all the dominant college football programs from major urban cities. USC . . . maybe Utah and Miami. Out. South Bend, Athens, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Norman, State College, Auburn, Eugene, Ann Arbor, Columbus, Gainesville, Madison, Austin, Clemson . . . starting to see a pattern here? OTOH we have Temple, USF(e), USF(w), Vanderbilt, Columbia, Houston, SMU, Baaaaaawstan College, Pitt, Georgetown, San Diego State, Arizona State, Cincinnati, Cleveland State, Butler . . . LOL.

What will make a difference is hiring young, hungry, talented SMART coaches who will hire smart assistants and together get off their fat asses and find and recruit all the great talent out there that are not 5 stars or high 4 stars which we're not getting often anyway, and then develop them, coach them up, and put them in positions to win. That is not about conference money; that is about a smart administration that actually gives a öööö about Tech football.

Tell me about Maryland's recruiting area. Now tell me about GT's. Not comparable. We are in a hotbed of football. They are???
WGAF? Tell me about Utah's recuiting area. And Oregon's. And Wisconsin's. And Indiana's (South Bend).

1963 is calling and it wants its college football recruiting back. Join the 2020s before it's too late.

No.

You clowns with "ATLANTA!!!" No one - no one - gives a öööö. Name all the dominant college football programs from major urban cities. USC . . . maybe Utah and Miami. Out. South Bend, Athens, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, Norman, State College, Auburn, Eugene, Ann Arbor, Columbus, Gainesville, Madison, Austin, Clemson . . . starting to see a pattern here? OTOH we have Temple, USF(e), USF(w), Vanderbilt, Columbia, Houston, SMU, Baaaaaawstan College, Pitt, Georgetown, San Diego State, Arizona State, Cincinnati, Cleveland State, Butler . . . LOL.

What will make a difference is hiring young, hungry, talented SMART coaches who will hire smart assistants and together get off their fat asses and find and recruit all the great talent out there that are not 5 stars or high 4 stars which we're not getting often anyway, and then develop them, coach them up, and put them in positions to win. That is not about conference money; that is about a smart administration that actually gives a öööö about Tech football.
Bullshit nobody gives a öööö about Atlanta. Stupid bumpkins like you may not, but we ain't recruiting your dumb ass.

WGAF? Tell me about Utah's recuiting area. And Oregon's. And Wisconsin's. And Indiana's (South Bend).

1963 is calling and it wants its college football recruiting back. Join the 2020s before it's too late.
Yea, all worse than being in the center of the SE United States

What you are describing costs money and a fair amount of it. Having recruiting staff in n place to sift through a lot of 3 stars to find the diamonds is labor intensive. Not funding that staff is why our recruiting dipped under Bobinski’s management and why it bounced back under Stansbury.
It also takes money to identify and retain good young coaches.

While I wouldn’t bet that the last two ADs couldn’t have found a way to squander an extra $30 mil per year, I doubt it would have hurt.

According to Jimmy Johnson the top 10-12 college teams just have athletes the others don't have, has been that way for a long time. I doubt Nick Saban would have gone to 'bama had they not been able to do everything he wanted them to do, it does take money. Just my opinion and have been wrong before and can be again, but I think GTFB has hit it's bottom and we end up in a very good place in the future. To me the school backing is really big. This is just me, but I believe higher education is in for massive change and downsizing over the next decade or two and the research, technology/engineering institutions thrive and succeed and also institutions in the metro areas have better chance of surviving. Having said all that, it is my opinion the media wants GTFB to succeed/thrive and the Big 10 will want us. Atlanta is the seventh largest media mkt in the country. It is obvious the Big expansion is focused on media mkts and rightfully so, I thought the move by San Diego to LA and the move by St Louis back to LA was significant, it is the second largest media mkt in country. From those in the know the media is driving and controlling the conference realignment/expansion, thus I say we start getting our act together which I think we will do and GTFB ends up in a good place, probably in the Big 10.
A comment from the Pres of Ohio State when addressing USC and UCLA joining, she said the Big 10 athletic conference is much more than just an athletic conference, it seems the schools within the conference share in research and academic projects amongst each other and those are funded with big $ grants for the most part. IMO this will keep the powers/faculty etc behind the GTFB program as it will be money in their pockets. She also said that athletics is important to Big 10 schools and that it needs to be important to a new member institution was what I was left with. I just wondered if what I'm talking about here or at least some parts of it may have had it's influence on our school Pres announcing his commitment to GTFB success at the highest levels, don't know just wonder.
IMO the Big 10 ends up being the grand daddy of it all eventually, they will have all the major media mkts excepting DFW and Houston, Atlanta if they don't take GT and some really good mkts. I've read somewhere Miami is close to becoming an AAU school, so the Big could end up in FL. South FL is just loaded with Big 10 people from Clearwater to Daytona and south. The only other AAU school in FL is UF. UNC, UVA are AAU, Pitt is AAU. TXA&M and UT Austin are AAU. ND is the only non AAU school the Big 10 has said it will take. They are so well endowed, survival is going to be the name of the game for most of the institutions of higher learning.
Again this is all just my opinion and I've been wrong before.

With Big10 money we could play the same game as the fb factories. And I don’t give AF what Maryland has not done, (Not counting a few years under Friegen) they suck now and will always suck no matter what conf they are in, but at least they are out of debt and have a fighting chance. Don’t be a fcking pussy too scared to play better competition than what the ACC offers, every school that goes into the ACC devolves into the same suckitude sooner or later.

with Big10 money we could-

hire top notch coaching staffs
hire an army of analysts
hire an army of recruiters
pay the $$$ it takes to get top recruits
pay the $$$ it takes to keep good players from leaving
get out of debt
improve facilities and gameday experiences

Utah has a great coach who has been there 20+ years, and they recruit Cali hard but when he’s gone they will return to avg i bet.

Utah like BYU has the 25 year old Mormons supplementing their program.
Those boys play hard, I watched them come back and beat down USC. They play with a Never say die attitude and tough af grit that they get from Whittingham, I hope we get that same culture going at Tech with Key.

They play with a Never say die attitude
giphy.gif

With Big10 money we could play the same game as the fb factories. And I don’t give AF what Maryland has not done, (Not counting a few years under Friegen) they suck now and will always suck no matter what conf they are in, but at least they are out of debt and have a fighting chance. Don’t be a fcking pussy too scared to play better competition than what the ACC offers, every school that goes into the ACC devolves into the same suckitude sooner or later.

hire an army of analysts
get out of debt
Of note, Rutgers did not enter with a full share split when they came into the Big 10, if I understand it right they eventually end up with a full share. Not sure about Md, USC, UCLA, guessing USC gets the full deal from the start and maybe UCLA also, but others that come later may see lesser amounts, but all speculation on my part. I'm guessing it will be more than they are presently getting in most cases. I also believe attendance goes up at BDS when you have USC, MI, ND, WI etc showing up every so many years, prices go up, so the money goes up in other areas besides TV, but I'm guessing you already know that. Great competition will raise all, there will be kids from all across the country that will want to come play for GT in the ATL, and we will be able to get really good players from GA, AL, TN, FL, all IMO of course and I've been wrong before.

... Just my opinion and have been wrong before and can be again ...
... Again this is all just my opinion and I've been wrong before...

...... and I've been wrong before.
Sounds like you're selling yourself short with this "been wrong before" mantra. Dude, we're all wrong occasionally, no big deal, but you're wrong constantly.

hire an army of analysts
get out of debt
No. We couldn't. I know you can't stop being a little bitch, but you can at least stop whining like a little bitch.

Back