Expansion Rumors…

The ACC has a grant of right, not a buyout.

Let’s say UNC switches to the SEC. The ACC receives the revenue from all games played on UNC’s campus even if they’re SEC games played on an SEC Network. And that goes to 2036.

I was under the impression the Big12 has a grant of rights as well, hence why UT and OU didn't try to buyout even earlier.

notagain.jpg

You resurrected a four month dead thread to post this öööö which isn't even on topic?

Of all the stupid things the mods gere banhammer folks for, but they let this crap slide. Mind-boggling.
I appreciate the irony here as you circumvent the profanity filter

What if they played home games at a neutral site or an off campus stadium Until the GOR runs out?
Any game where the ACC would have received revenue, it goes to the ACC. If UNC build a stadium in a neighboring city, that would still be a home game for them. If they modified their schedule to play all away/neutral games, then 1) that would really suck for UNC and 2) the ACC lawyers would have a strong case against UNC.

Also remember that this is all sports and would go on for 13 years.

Any game where the ACC would have received revenue, it goes to the ACC. If UNC build a stadium in a neighboring city, that would still be a home game for them. If they modified their schedule to play all away/neutral games, then 1) that would really suck for UNC and 2) the ACC lawyers would have a strong case against UNC.

God what a shiite sandwich we’ve been fed

Most sports are money losers, so the ACC would have a harder time arguing about TV rights to women’s volleyball than football.

But, a school could go scorched earth and accept all away games until 2036. It would be a game of chicken. The schools would get no home games, but the acc would get no money. I suppose a school could trade all the ticket sales to Ohio State for a ‘home’ game ( letting OSU keep the concessions). Not sure if the acc could ask for that money. Or a school could go media blackout or free online for home games. I am sure lawyers could work a system where a buyout is more lucrative than the ‘rights’ less litigation costs.

I was under the impression the Big12 has a grant of rights as well, hence why UT and OU didn't try to buyout even earlier.
They do/did, but it ends in 2025, so the new Big 12 commissioner was apt to get a buyout for an early exit rather than holding them hostage for an extra year.
That timing is the big difference between the ACC and the Big 12 GoR deals. Big 12 was through 2024, ACC through 2035.

They do/did, but it ends in 2025, so the new Big 12 commissioner was apt to get a buyout for an early exit rather than holding them hostage for an extra year.
That timing is the big difference between the ACC and the Big 12 GoR deals. Big 12 was through 2024, ACC through 2035.
Is this a "Swofford, the gift that keeps giving" situation?

I'd bet getting billion $ contracts is gonna get much more difficult going forward with Iger back

Is this a "Swofford, the gift that keeps giving" situation?
I feel like it’s a good thing to keep the conference together. If it breaks apart, Tech is highly likely to be a beggar and not a chooser.

… you can try to convince yourself with the “Atlanta TV market” all you want, but it’s not true. We need several good years to change the perspective on our programs.

I feel like it’s a good thing to keep the conference together. If it breaks apart, Tech is highly likely to be a beggar and not a chooser.

… you can try to convince yourself with the “Atlanta TV market” all you want, but it’s not true. We need several good years to change the perspective on our programs.
Maryland no longer has the financial issues of being an ACC team after joining the BIG10. The Atlanta market was what the BIG10 was after when they approached us, so you are absolutely wrong about your take on the "Atlanta market"

Maryland no longer has the financial issues of being an ACC team after joining the BIG10. The Atlanta market was what the BIG10 was after when they approached us, so you are absolutely wrong about your take on the "Atlanta market"
The Big10 approached us because we were a good football team. 7-9 wins every season and the longest bowl streak in the country. Basketball went to the ACCT every other year. Before you talk about a TV market, there’s a competitive performance bar you have to meet first.

How did Rutgers get in the Big 10? Record before joining:

2005 7-5
2006 11-2
2007 8-5
2008 8-5
2009 9-4
2010 4-8
2011 9-4
2012 9-4

Once Tech said no, the B1G scrambled to find someone else willing to move and was also an AAU member. That left them with Duke, Pitt, or Maryland. They settled on Maryland who had ~.500 record over that time.

The Big10 approached us because we were a good football team. 7-9 wins every season and the longest bowl streak in the country. Basketball went to the ACCT every other year. Before you talk about a TV market, there’s a competitive performance bar you have to meet first.

How did Rutgers get in the Big 10? Record before joining:

2005 7-5
2006 11-2
2007 8-5
2008 8-5
2009 9-4
2010 4-8
2011 9-4
2012 9-4

Once Tech said no, the B1G scrambled to find someone else willing to move and was also an AAU member. That left them with Duke, Pitt, or Maryland. They settled on Maryland who had ~.500 record over that time.
Horseshit. The BIG10 approached us to conquer territory. You're an idiot.

And exactly how the öööö has that $$ helped Maryland WIN? They still suck at football. They couldn't even keep Caleb Williams at home. They're "OK" at hoops - but only that. Plenty of schools stuck with ACC Revenue win more in football and basketball than Maryland and irs Little !4 revenue. It's quite obvious to those of us with triple digit IQs that $$ ≠ Wins.

I ONLY CARE ABOUT WINNING. Anyone here who cares more about money than winning should go öööö themelves.

And exactly how the öööö has that $$ helped Maryland WIN? They still suck at football. They couldn't even keep Caleb Williams at home. They're "OK" at hoops - but only that. Plenty of schools stuck with ACC Revenue win more in football and basketball than Maryland and irs Little !4 revenue. It's quite obvious to those of us with triple digit IQs that $$ ≠ Wins.

I ONLY CARE ABOUT WINNING. Anyone here who cares more about money than winning should go öööö themelves.
Your a massive turd, why don’t you care about that?

How has staying in the ACC helped us win?

Oh great, with the resurrection of this thread we get 10 more pages of crybabies whining about being in the Big 10.

Back