Expansion Rumors…

Sure, college football is far from amateurism. Anyone with a brain understands that. But it is the world we live in. If your goal is being a part of honor and purity, D3 games are a heck of a lot of fun
Again, binary thinking. Funny you should mention brain. There are lots of different approaches to amateurism between D3 and what is going on in the SECheat/B1G. It's not simply one or the other. Hasn't been for a long time.

The ACC should negotiate with ESPN to keep the current money deal in place for now and Let FSU and Clem (and anyone else who has a landing spot in BIG or SEC) go without a fight, then with the remaining schools, try to get ND (not gonna happen) grab up the desirable PAC teams to replace the departed and just roll with it. Survival mode to save the conference rather than waiting for the inevitable implosion.

The ACC should negotiate with ESPN to keep the current money deal in place for now and Let FSU and Clem (and anyone else who has a landing spot in BIG or SEC) go without a fight, then with the remaining schools, try to get ND (not gonna happen) grab up the desirable PAC teams to replace the departed and just roll with it. Survival mode to save the conference rather than waiting for the inevitable implosion.
That is not survival mode. That is Sunbelt mode.

I want Tech competing at the Top level as it always has. Simple and bottom line.
And it is your right to feel that way. More power to you. No need to call you names or make childish comments. That's a valid idea. It just comes with a cost - a very high cost.

That is not survival mode. That is Sunbelt mode.
For teams without a golden ticket whats the better alternative? And fwiw I am praying that GT is one of the teams that would leave for the BIG

I agree totally with this. Just let it happen and be done with it. There will be plenty of teams left over to play big-boy football.

And it is your right to feel that way. More power to you. No need to call you names or make childish comments. That's a valid idea. It just comes with a cost - a very high cost.
Like $30 million a season more?

I agree totally with this. Just let it happen and be done with it. There will be plenty of teams left over to play big-boy football.
Of course you do. You are good with competing with Wake, scared of trying to compete with UGA

Of course you do. You are good with competing with Wake, scared of trying to compete with UGA
There is nothing like sitting on the hill at Wake Forest with 15,000 others and being non-binary….greatest feeling in the world!

There is nothing like sitting on the hill at Wake Forest with 15,000 others and being non-binary….greatest feeling in the world!
But at least it is pure football, which hasn't really been a thing since GT started playing football. The fix has always been in. Summon General Leonard Wood and ask him.

The talk by FSU and Clemson of unequal revenue sharing is the death knell of either the conference as a whole or at least half the teams in it. If you think we have problems now, just wait until we get a small piece of the existing pie so that FSU and Clemson can have more.

We seem to have a rainman situation. 78 has latched onto "binary" and is gonna beat that damn horse to death with it.
Can he get us out of a giant death cube is the important question.

How many votes do you need to dissolve the conference? Because if you could get 4 schools a shot at the B1G and SEC, you are looking at 480+ million in buyout. I’d bet you could find 3 schools attractive to the Big12 (say VT, Pitt, and Cuse) who would gladly take half that buyout and just join the Big12. Plus you get to divide up ACC assets. The remaining half of the ACC would have to reconstitute itself as a conference and rework all existing contracts with partners/refs/bowls. It would be a ööööshow for the remaining members.

A vote to allow a couple valuable members to leave (or a couple valuable members just leaving) is as good as a vote to dissolve in my opinion.

I suspect the ACC has a small number of makers and a large number of takers when it comes to revenue. Let’s say FSU, Clemson, and Miami leave tomorrow. Who does the ACC pick up to backfill the revenue losses?

If we can’t combine forces with the PAC 12 or Big 12 then it’s basically basketball conference or bust. That’s my thought at least. A lot of the smaller schools have already been filtered up into the P5 as big names shuffle. Who is better for the conference? Picking up Buffalo for football or Georgetown, Villanova, etc. for basketball? I can easily see the ACC becoming the next Big East. A semi-pro leap with the PAC 12 and/or Big 12 at least gets a jump on SEC and BIG plans. They’ll be there in the next 5 years anyway.

I just don’t think it’s as simple as that. A school that wants out can make life pretty miserable for the ACC in more ways than one. Long, drawn out lawsuits, decreasing revenue, threats of revenue loss after they leave, ally building with other member institutions to force the hand of the conference, etc. I could easily see Clemson and FSU turning the conference into a civil war for 2 years until the ACC says cut us a check and leave. Worst case scenario for the ACC is they spend all their time, money, and goodwill getting locked up in court and they lose their case. The conference would dissolve immediately.
Even if the ACC agrees to a buyout for leaving the GOR early, it would still be prohibitively expensive for a while. Let's use those numbers thrown about for unequal revenue sharing from some pages back as a guess on the value of FSU or Clemson to the conference TV deal; that would be $60 million a year. The contract runs to 2036, so that's 13 or 14 years. So that theoretical value is roughly $800 million plus the $120 million normal exit fee. Even if the ACC let's them leave the GOR for half that, that's half a billion. Let's say the team is able to argue in court that they can't set the value above the even split payout, $36 million. Then it's a total value of like $475 million. The length of time is the big issue. OU/Texas were able to get the Big12 to let them out early for a fee sure, which was $50 million per school for leaving 1 year early.

With the general exit fee and GOR I'd wager no ACC team is getting out for less than $300 million unless the GOR gets struck down completely in court. Maybe that's not an insurmountable number if the other conference will cover a good chunk of it, but I am doubtful that any conference would do that for an ACC team unless killing the conference is their specific goal. The ACC has no motivation to play nice in letting Clemson or FSU out, which would basically kill the conference in general cause if they let those teams off the hook for a check then ESPN will likely renegotiate the TV deal and I doubt the rest of the conference will be willing to sign a GOR again, at which point the conference probably just gets completely pillaged.

Edit: To add from some newer posts, the other alternative away from the huge fees is that so many teams in the conference beyond FSU/Clemson want to leave that they outvote the rest of the teams to dissolve the ACC. This one is hard to put any informed guess on the likelihood though.

A vote to allow a couple valuable members to leave (or a couple valuable members just leaving) is as good as a vote to dissolve in my opinion.

I suspect the ACC has a small number of makers and a large number of takers when it comes to revenue. Let’s say FSU, Clemson, and Miami leave tomorrow. Who does the ACC pick up to backfill the revenue losses?

If we can’t combine forces with the PAC 12 or Big 12 then it’s basically basketball conference or bust. That’s my thought at least. A lot of the smaller schools have already been filtered up into the P5 as big names shuffle. Who is better for the conference? Picking up Buffalo for football or Georgetown, Villanova, etc. for basketball? I can easily see the ACC becoming the next Big East. A semi-pro leap with the PAC 12 and/or Big 12 at least gets a jump on SEC and BIG plans. They’ll be there in the next 5 years anyway.
Not as many teams are going to be leaving the ACC for perceived greener pastures as people think, so why wouldn’t the remainders just take whatever TV deal they can get, add PAC schools if feasible and keep on playing each other?

Not as many teams are going to be leaving the ACC for perceived greener pastures as people think, so why wouldn’t the remainders just take whatever TV deal they can get, add PAC schools if feasible and keep on playing each other?

I don’t know who is the one acquiring and who gets acquired in a deal with the PAC 12. Plus, just too many teams in my opinion. That’s why I say just say goodbye to the NCAA and combine forces in a new league. We all know the SEC and BIG are going there anyway.

I could imagine football and maybe even men’s basketball where teams go up for sale. Let some billionaire buy them under a contract where they keep the school branding and location. Start paying players, form the CFBPA, whatever. Force the hand of the SEC before they force ours. I’d rather be in a league with 30+ teams and keep some division rivalries than be out in the cold.

True. The only viable options for the B1G are uva, unc, GT, and miami. Two of those aren’t leaving the ACC.

The SEC is probably only interested in UNC and maybe VT. Uva is a terrible fit. NCState may work in a pinch if unc won’t budge.

The SEC might be interested in fsu because it has a lot of interest in a big state. But fsu probably weakens UF and Auburn more than it adds to the conference.

Clemson does nothing for the sec. It weakens usc and uga. Adding Clemson creates a UT/Vandy or Ole Miss/MSU scenario, not an Auburn/Alabama scenario.

The ACC has enough core teams to do well on a second tier to the sec,b1g. The problem is too many mouths to feed. There should really only be 1 team in NC, but you could function with 2. I don’t think UL adds enough value to justify the travel for non revenue sports.

ESPN doesn’t really have an incentive to elevate the acc in the deep south (gt/clem/fsu) as it competes to much with the sec product. The return just isn’t there. Same goes for the northern 3 schools. Pitt/cuse/bc aren’t going to get much better numbers if you doubled the amount of money you are paying, that area is nfl territory.

Back