Expansion Rumors…

Before I moved out of Georgia in 2006, I lived 5 minutes from the campus in the townhouses near Atlantic Station. The school is right in the center of a major city was all the point is. While the GT campus is full of trees, etc, it’s not the same as a large college town. Once you leave the campus, it’s traffic hell. Since that time I’ve lived outside of Los Angeles, Denver, Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh.

LA and ATL by far have the worst traffic / congestion. I know Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh are growing, but it still doesn’t compare to LA, ATL.
Check out Miami, Dallas, NYC, and DC traffic sometime

Saw this explanation on another board regarding FSU's lawsuit:
If you have read the GOR it is TIED TO THE ESPN media contract ... that was the purpose of the GOR. ESPN's current media commitment expires on 6/27, so it is actually in effect for only seasons 24,25,26 UNLESS THEY EXTEND the current contract at the current media payout of roughly $40M per school. If ESPN does not exercise the extension option by 2/25 then the media agreement ends ... and new one would have to be negotiated with either ESPN or other media carrier ... and a new GOR signed by parties in favor.

A prime purpose of the FSU LEGAL ACTION is attacking the validity of the 2025 option to extend as they found out in initial discovery at ACC headquarters, the original option expired in 2021 ... and Phillips UNILATERALLY GRANTED ESPN an extension on their option period to 2/25 without consulting with or getting approval from ACC members. Since ESPN wasn't going to extend their agreement in 2021 ... could we have then negotiated a new better deal? Worst case ... they DID NOT EXERCISE THEIR OPTION TO EXTEND ... the extension on the time period granted by Phillips is not valid / legal as it was done without the required 2/3 approval ... and therefore the media deal and GOR both expire on 6/27. Anybody not wanting to sign a NEW contract with different terms would have NO GOR buyback, pay only the $120M ACC exit fee, and commence playing in another conference for the 2027 season. Leave before, and then you need to buy back media rights for season 2025 and 2026.

Bob Thompson, former CEO of FOX Sports and co founder of the B10 network, commented on the day the FSU filings were posted "wow, it took the FSU legal team to find a hole big enough in the GOR to drive a truck through". (he has since apparently deleted that Tweet). That is the current thinking summarized by the majority of the Nole fans who are practicing attorneys ... pay the ACC exit fee ... buy back rights for the period necessary up until the current ESPN media contract expires 6/27. Done, adios.
It’s my understanding that the GOR is totally seperate from the ESPN tv contract. As long as the ACC exists then it is in effect. That being said if espn drops the ACC then that could very well lead to it all falling apart PAC10 style

Check out Miami, Dallas, NYC, and DC traffic sometime
DC and NYC are epic ööööshows.
All I was saying is the cities I’ve lived around regarding traffic. I know DC traffic is horrible from Richmond, VA going north. Funny enough, I’ve never been to Dallas or NYC (could care less to visit). Miami I’ve just passed by going to the Keys.

Closest I came to moving to NE was I almost took a 2 year contract in Boston in 2017.

All I was saying is the cities I’ve lived around regarding traffic. I know DC traffic is horrible from Richmond, VA going north. Funny enough, I’ve never been to Dallas or NYC (could care less to visit). Miami I’ve just passed by going to the Keys.

Closest I came to moving to NE was I almost took a 2 year contract in Boston in 2017.
So, the choices are: have a bunch of things to do off campus that you might have to fight traffic for or have nothing to do off campus but luckily no traffic. I guess if you like to just randomly drive around to nowhere the second choice is better?

So, the choices are: have a bunch of things to do off campus that you might have to fight traffic for or have nothing to do off campus but luckily no traffic. I guess if you like to just randomly drive around to nowhere the second choice is better?

Have you been to a college town when you were in college? Tech doesn’t have a bar strip. Buckhead bars in college were an older crowd and a long drive away. Contrast that with cheap alcohol at fun bars walking distance from campus - not sure most people needed more to do than that. If you wanna go to a game or concert, easy to carpool with your friends to Atlanta from Athens, Auburn, Clemson, etc.

Have you been to a college town when you were in college? Tech doesn’t have a bar strip. Buckhead bars in college were an older crowd and a long drive away. Contrast that with cheap alcohol at fun bars walking distance from campus - not sure most people needed more to do than that. If you wanna go to a game or concert, easy to carpool with your friends to Atlanta from Athens, Auburn, Clemson, etc.
Buckhead isn't what it used to be but Virginia Highlands is a fun time. Certainly more expensive than small town bars, though. If price of local alcohol is the deciding factor, I guess I'll concede the loss.

The carpool statement doesn't make sense related to the argument being made. If the traffic in Atlanta is so bad, surely having to carpool into the traffic to do something is not better than being in the middle of Atlanta.

If we’re smart, we’re selling ourselves to the Big and the Sec. If one of them offers anything other than regular membership, we use it to negotiate regular membership in the other.

The ACC, and Big 12 for that matter, are sinking ships. We need to cut bait as soon as possible. I keep checking this thread hoping to see we’ve done that.

If we’re smart, we’re selling ourselves to the Big and the Sec. If one of them offers anything other than regular membership, we use it to negotiate regular membership in the other.

The ACC, and Big 12 for that matter, are sinking ships. We need to cut bait as soon as possible. I keep checking this thread hoping to see we’ve done that.

I sadly agree, the end game is a Big 10 / SEC super conference that will draw all the major TV audience and thus the TV money basically making any other conferences irrelevant going forward. Without major TV revenue, smaller conferences will fade away. Any team who wants to remain relevant in the new age of college football better do all they can to get an invite from either conference. I am not saying I think this is fair or agree with it, but rather where we are. I wonder if this whole 3-3-2-1 talk of the 14 team playoff is just a smokescreen while the Big10/SEC figure out their master plan.

I sadly agree, the end game is a Big 10 / SEC super conference that will draw all the major TV audience and thus the TV money basically making any other conferences irrelevant going forward. Without major TV revenue, smaller conferences will fade away. Any team who wants to remain relevant in the new age of college football better do all they can to get an invite from either conference. I am not saying I think this is fair or agree with it, but rather where we are. I wonder if this whole 3-3-2-1 talk of the 14 team playoff is just a smokescreen while the Big10/SEC figure out their master plan.
It’s not a smokescreen it’s just what they have to deal with today. But they definitely have future plans for down the road. Those 2 conferences are run by smart businessmen who understand to be successful you have to do 2 things at the same time -1) deal with today, hence the 12 and 14 team format and this those negotiations, and 2) work for what you want learn term, ie. the future. That is what ACC leaders have never done. They just deal with today and have no plan for 5 years from now. The day the GOR was signed they basically took off the tie, put the golf clubs in the trunk and headed to the course. And that’s why we are always 3 steps behind.

I'd give up playing in any conference if we could play games on days where it is 85° or warmer during the day and games where it is 84° or less at night.

I have never understood why anyone would want to live or play football in Norman Oklahoma. Or Nebraska. Or Kansas. Or Arkansas. Or Missouri.

I actually like Omaha. If you like a small town with pleasant people Nebraska is a good place (outside the snow)… Arkansas and Missouri on the other hand you can keep.

I actually like Omaha. If you like a small town with pleasant people Nebraska is a good place (outside the snow)… Arkansas and Missouri on the other hand you can keep.
Agreed. And then step back to last century as you cross into Nebraska is a great time warp as well. Allows me to wear my bell bottomed jeans and big collared shirt!

Buckhead isn't what it used to be but Virginia Highlands is a fun time. Certainly more expensive than small town bars, though. If price of local alcohol is the deciding factor, I guess I'll concede the loss.

The carpool statement doesn't make sense related to the argument being made. If the traffic in Atlanta is so bad, surely having to carpool into the traffic to do something is not better than being in the middle of Atlanta.
I remember when Jager at Rocky Mountain Pizza went from $1.75 to $2.25 and thinking I could never recover from such a financial catastrophe.

I remember when Jager at Rocky Mountain Pizza went from $1.75 to $2.25 and thinking I could never recover from such a financial catastrophe.
1709951613709.gif

Since it is clear that the ACC is the #3 Power Conf via Revenue. (above tweet) & ESPN is reporting that the ACC will be getting a bigger split of the CFP Dollars than the Big12. It might be time to see who the ACC will backfill FSU with or wait until they lose four members to backfill with 1 ( as teh ACC/ESPN Contract mandates that the ACC membership must stay above 15 or ESPN can terminate or re-negotiate)

By looking at the metrics used on the new ACC mbrs for 2024 (Stanford / Cal / & SMU) we can see what other teams meet these same metrics from XII & G5.

METRICS
1. 3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: That is the average of the three main academic ranks (USN, SR, & THE/WSJ) between only the standardized universe of FBS schools + AAU members, then ranked among the averages. This 3-way average, among a standardized universe, is as good a broad, fair perspective as can be shown.
2. Financial Data: Sports data comes from Knight and EADA filings, all of which are directly from the school. Campus financial data is from IPEDS.
3. FB AP Times Ranked
4. 2023 DC Points (All Sports)
5. TV Market:
That is available from 2023–2024 Nielsen rankings (new or not new State for ACC Network)

2024 ACC Adds

Stanford:

3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #3 (AAU & R1)
Research Spending: $1.2B
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $157M FB: $32 M MBB: $7M Olympic: $46M
FB AP Times Ranked: 303
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 1412
TV Market: San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose (#10)

Cal:
3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #16 (AAU & R1)
Research Spending: $2.6B
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $114M FB: $34M MBB: $8M Olympic: $29M
FB AP Times Ranked: 200
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 833
TV Market: San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose (#10)

SMU:
3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #82 ( R2)
Research Spending: $205M
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $79.4M FB: $27.1M MBB: $8.1 Olympic: $25.5M
FB AP Times Ranked: 180
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 279
TV Market: Dallas-Fort Worth (#5)

XII Expansion Teams

Colorado:

3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #62 (AAU & R1)
Research Spending: $1.1B
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $96M FB: $26M MBB: $8M Olympic: $14M
FB AP Times Ranked: 305
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 377
TV Market: Denver (#17) (NEW STATE for ACCN Rates)State Pop: 5.8M

Utah:
3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #62 (AAU & R1)
Research Spending: $625M
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $91M FB: $34M MBB: $10M Olympic: $21M
FB AP Times Ranked: 162
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 741
TV Market: Salt Lake City (#27) (NEW STATE for ACCN Rates)State Pop: 3.4M

Kansas:
3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #75.7 (AAU & R1)
Research Spending: $386M
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $119M FB: $21M MBB: $16M Olympic: $20M
FB AP Times Ranked: 111
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 353
TV Market: Kansas City (#34) (NEW STATE for ACCN Rates)State Pop: 2.9M

Oklahoma St:
3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #105 (R1)
Research Spending: $207M
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $100M FB: $29M MBB: $12M Olympic: $23M
FB AP Times Ranked: 282
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 800
TV Market: Oklahoma City (#47) (NEW STATE for ACCN Rates)State Pop: 4M

TOP G5 Programs

USF:

3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #79 ( R1 & AAU)
Research Spending: $405M
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $62.3M FB: $18.7M MBB: $5M Olympic: $11.3M
FB AP Times Ranked: 47
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 226
TV Market: Tampa-St. Petersburg (Sarasota) (#12)

UConn:
3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #68 ( R1)
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $92.5M FB: $18.4M MBB: $24M Olympic: $21.9M
FB AP Times Ranked: 6
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 252
TV Market: Hartford & New Haven (#32) (NEW STATE for ACCN Rates) State Pop: 3.6M

Colorado St:
3-Way Avg. Academic Rank: #88 ( R1)
Financial Data: F22 Dept. Budget: $59.3M FB: $30.9M MBB: $5.2M Olympic: $10M
FB AP Times Ranked: 43
2023 DC Points (All Sports): 156
TV Market: Denver (#17) (NEW STATE for ACCN Rates) State Pop: 5.8M

Back