Full Speed Ahead

Do we know that they are not changing the rows to take this into account?
We are not that dumb, imo, to make things worse instead of better, I sincerely hope
I don't think anything will have to be done to the UN, plenty wide, other than maybe some math to see what impact the higher weight of the chairbacks have on the decking. The only time that might be a problem is when UGAg fatasses are sitting there.

The underlying concrete isnt properly spaced for it.
Sounds like we all need to show up after the NC State game with sledgehammers and wheelbarrows and get started. Anyone have a Fastenal account? Gonna need some bolts and lock nuts. Probably just run to Depot for bags of concrete as well need them. My Dodge is just a 2003 1500 with the 4.7 V8, so may need someone with a 2500 to step up. No Fords, we have no time for slowdowns because a truck has broken down.

Sounds like we all need to show up after the NC State game with sledgehammers and wheelbarrows and get started. Anyone have a Fastenal account? Gonna need some bolts and lock nuts. Probably just run to Depot for bags of concrete as well need them. My Dodge is just a 2003 1500 with the 4.7 V8, so may need someone with a 2500 to step up. No Fords, we have no time for slowdowns because a truck has broken down.
Just use the original concrete stands beneath the lower west. Maintain "oldest and winningest" status. We could probably even use the original numbering.

I will be interested to see how the manage to squeeze in the chairbacks into the lower west. Those rows are narrow. Some of y'all gonna have to lose weight.

My hope is that the entire West side of the stadium is getting replaced. No one that matters cares about the oldest stadium bullshit. It's something we tell ourselves to make up for not winning football games.

My hope is that the entire West side of the stadium is getting replaced. No one that matters cares about the oldest stadium bullshit. It's something we tell ourselves to make up for not winning football games.
And the LW isn't really that old. The original stands are underneath. It is the field that matters and it is currently being hidden by hideous Shaw shag carpet.

The field is historic, not the stadium.

But they should bring back the pee troughs for nostalgia.
Didn't see your response before I responded. Exactly this

Let's head down Saturday after NC State and start rolling that crap fake grass öööö up. I will bring rakes. We can smooth it out and plant some rye to get us through winter. We can just overseed after every game with some nice fall fescue.

I sincerely hope we don't go cheap on this chair back project. If full stadium isn't in the budget just do lower bowl minus student section to start.

I suppose so. Prob gonna have to play in the Benz while they fix it tho. And I know how much yall love that :facepalm:
If it is for stadium improvements and renovation work, I understand. I don't get playing there when we have a better atmosphere at our on campus stadium but we decide to play in the sterile environment of a place that looks like a strippers butthole.

If it is for stadium improvements and renovation work, I understand. I don't get playing there when we have a better atmosphere at our on campus stadium but we decide to play in the sterile environment of a place that looks like a strippers butthole.
This is no time for mom jokes!

I don't think anything will have to be done to the UN, plenty wide, other than maybe some math to see what impact the higher weight of the chairbacks have on the decking. The only time that might be a problem is when UGAg fatasses are sitting there.
They make some pretty thin and lightweight stadium seats now. I think M-B has them, and Aviva might have. Probably not that much diffeeent from the aluminum bleachers, especially since there will likely be fewer people (wider seats).

JRjr

Do we know that they are not changing the rows to take this into account?
We are not that dumb, imo, to make things worse instead of better, I sincerely hope
I wonder how much modification of LW triggers the “have to make it ADA-compliant” threshold, which is the excuse I’ve always heard for not touching it much.

UNC might be a good case study for chairbacks. They retrofit backs into their bleachers initially, and it was terrible - your knees hit the back in front of you and you had to stand on the bench to let people pass.

They’ve mostly gone to chairbacks now (other than the visitor section, IIRC), so I’ll be curious to pay attention to how the spacing is for the chairbacks while we’re there this weekend.

JRjr

upper north and wardlaw building are compliant I think. Not sure that every area has to be.

Maybe @Architorture23 or one of the architects can provide more info on that?

GT pretty much stuffed all the ADA compliant seats they could into the Upper North. The amount of wheelchair seating on the sidelines is almost negligible, which kind of sucks, but I get it.

All you can do is be hopeful that they get it right. A certain percentage will always complain no matter what, until they get a cookie cutter. I'm excited by all the aesthetic improvements. A lot of fans piss all over the character and uniqueness of our stadium, but I love it... I've been to a lot of football stadiums. BDS is a ööööing awesome place to watch a football game. We have a cathedral. Feel free to disagree.

upper north and wardlaw building are compliant I think. Not sure that every area has to be.

Maybe @Architorture23 or one of the architects can provide more info on that?
I am not totally sure of the ADA ramifications. It would need a full survey of the existing facilities, which I'm sure someone has done. You are correct that not every area or aspect has to be compliant but on a place that big, it is a big exercise to figure out. Obviously, the big bathrooms in the lower west are not accessible due to the ramp and that would be very difficult to make them compliant. But building new toilets might not be all that hard. The upper north is fully compliant, I believe, but the ADA has requirements that different tiers or levels of experience need to be equally accessible. For instance, if you have Suites in a hotel, some of them must be compliant, not just standard rooms. Same with tiers of seating in a theater.

Also big to note is that the ADA is not a building code but a federal law and the consequences for getting it wrong are potentially large and it is a big target for litigious entities.

Back