Game Attendance

Cheer up buttercup. There are worse programs to be a fan of. Like Kentucky or the gamecocks etc
It is painful to be a GT fan. Painful to lose to teams like Pitt for two years before today. I've carried the white and gold enough in my life. As I have been reminded, I am not a GT grad. GT grads should buy those seats. There is nothing I can do to fix GT football or to help.

I was disappointed in the crowd. I think three games at BDS and one down the road all in September, plus the noon kickoffs, have taken a toll. But student attendance is way down. And, it is sad that we did better against Jax State than for the ACC opener. But, I was glad to be there today. We only get just so many times to enjoy a win at BDS at HGF. Always worth the trip.

What can you say? Even Tech fans don't come to the games. It's hot... I've got cancer... I had to work... etc etc. When I lived in Chicago I flew in every weekend for the games. When I had bronchitis and pneumonia a couple years ago I came to the games. I did miss a game a long time ago to go on my honeymoon. Nobody's perfect.

Bottom line is that not that many people care that much about GT football. I figure it just makes the club more intimate when you meet another fan. (Or the club seats less expensive, depending on point of view.)

Part of the problem is that a significant portion of these highly academically qualified applicants just don't have an interest in football and other spectator sports.

I wonder why this is. I have some ideas but I'm curious what other people think.

For one, there may be a phenomenon where boys who are bad at sports tend not to cultivate an interest in them. So they go inside and read books or whatever instead, and become smart. Simplistic explanation but maybe it's true?

I had to work to find a place to see the game at all. It's hard to find a NCAA game at all in Indonesia. It's good that all of the ACC Network games are able to be streamed internationally though. Too bad that internet connectivity is really shoddy here.

I wonder why this is. I have some ideas but I'm curious what other people think.

For one, there may be a phenomenon where boys who are bad at sports tend not to cultivate an interest in them. So they go inside and read books or whatever instead, and become smart. Simplistic explanation but maybe it's true?

This is more or less what happened to me. Once I hit middle school and started playing football, I got into college football ravenously. Both of my parents are huge CFB fans and took me to games at their alma maters, which happened to be Auburn and Alabama. I needed a neutral third party to root for, so don't ask why (because I don't remember, other than perhaps a youthful interest in computers and thinking the Buzz logo was cool), but I picked GT.

Anyway, the years passed and I turned out to not be worth a öööö in sports, so I ended up quitting them all and focusing on academics. As a result, I was able to get into the Institute which I'd grown to love by way of football, but for a couple of those high school years the only game I watched was GT-uga. I'd grown to resent sports since I was bad at them (and also young and not mature enough to handle that reality). Ultimately, once I arrived at Tech and lived across the street from Bobby Dodd, falling back in love with Tech football and college football in general was inevitable.

But my story is extremely unique and I doubt many kids randomly choose to support GT in their youth. For kids like me that engendered a resentment for sports, that is likely to last for life, since they will spend time with like-minded people. I had a guy in a couple classes that totally hated that college athletics even existed, and for the life of my I couldn't get through to him. I understood having that chip on your shoulder. I didn't understand not eventually letting it go.

It's not just Tech having the problem. I do think it's more noticeable with us since our fan base has always been a small, dedicated bunch.

I'd say there are a number of things that hurt college football attendance:
1. The pussification of America
2. Tv quality and availability
3. Noon games
4. Rising popularity of youth soccer (see No 1) which has Saturday morning games
5. Cultural shift at colleges

It is painful to be a GT fan. Painful to lose to teams like Pitt for two years before today. I've carried the white and gold enough in my life. As I have been reminded, I am not a GT grad. GT grads should buy those seats. There is nothing I can do to fix GT football or to help.

Grow a pair, nancy boy.

It is Pitt and the team has lost two in a row to them. Nobody gets excited about being a loser to Pitt, they suck and are a boring team. Not many care about financially supporting that. Get better and more will care.

It is Pitt and the team has lost two in a row to them. Nobody gets excited about being a loser to Pitt, they suck and are a boring team. Not many care about financially supporting that. Get better and more will care.
This is another part of the problem and it is particularly bad in the ACC when we play teams like Pitt and BC and no one gives a rats ass about them. ACC play leads to a lot of just boring matchups regardless of the product on the field because we have very little in common with the teams we play.

This is another part of the problem and it is particularly bad in the ACC when we play teams like Pitt and BC and no one gives a rats ass about them. ACC play leads to a lot of just boring matchups regardless of the product on the field because we have very little in common with the teams we play.

It is just a difference between real fans and the bandwagoners. I think Krazie is just trolling a bit because he's a pretty good fan. Unless he has brain damage now or something.

It's a problem with conference expansion in general. When you play teams close to you, you're likely to know and work with people who are fans of that team, and be more interested in the game. When you're playing a team from a thousand miles away, it's a non-event unless they're a big name like ND or USCw.

"SchoolSpirit.exe" has stopped working...

When I was in school I used to try to get the student group I was involved with to get block seats and go to games but it was ridiculous how few students even cared about football. I think out of a group of 30 or so students maybe 5 were actually interested in Tech football. Although it was a largely graduate student group and outside of the 5 that went to Tech football games there were probably 5 others interested in football but only their undergraduate schools program.

It was a bit sad to see that the south end zone student section was out-repping the fraternity sections in the north end zone by the end of the game.

"SchoolSpirit.exe" has stopped working...

When I was in school I used to try to get the student group I was involved with to get block seats and go to games but it was ridiculous how few students even cared about football. I think out of a group of 30 or so students maybe 5 were actually interested in Tech football. Although it was a largely graduate student group and outside of the 5 that went to Tech football games there were probably 5 others interested in football but only their undergraduate schools program.

It was a bit sad to see that the south end zone student section was out-repping the fraternity sections in the north end zone by the end of the game.

What is a Riverbot?

Back