General Coaching Search News Thread

Satterfield or maybe a PJ disciple. I like Woody, but it's not as if we made huge strides on defense throughout the year.

Agree. Most of the Woody love seems predicated on the promise that things will get better. The problem is that we went through that same process with every DC under PJ after year 1, and things usually either stayed the same or got worse on defense.

This is going to end up Tennessee bad, isn't it?
I don't think we'll make as poor choices as Tennesse made in our coaching hires, but even if we hire a better coach the results could look the same.

I am personally ok with either Collins or Elliot.

Collins has a winning record at Temple both years he's been there. I would think they are still in rebuild mode, so two back to back bowls while doing so is not a bad look IMO. Not to mention, he has had plenty of experience at big time schools like Miss State and UF. I have 3 UF friends who all rave about how great of a recruiter and DC he was. They hate that he left.

Elliot goes without saying.

I'm starting to warm up to Collins a bit. Elliot would be my #1 and I think Satterfield will end up at Louisville, but I'm feeling optimistic we're going to end up with a good coach.
Collins may have enough Tech ties to satisfy the old guard, but also is a relative up and comer and supposedly a good recruiter. I am warming to him.
Collins doesn't seem like bad choice, though not my favorite. My concern with him is we need an offensive guy and we need a good one. Not sure on his ability to bring in a big name or get a hot up and comer on board.

Collins doesn't seem like bad choice, though not my favorite. My concern with him is we need an offensive guy and we need a good one. Not sure on his ability to bring in a big name or get a hot up and comer on board.

I think the fact that Collins is a defensive-minded coach could work in our favor. He could bring in an OC to run whatever our personnel could excel at, rather than try to shoehorn us into a particular scheme from the get-go. I understand that Temple runs some sort of spread from the gun. If anyone has seen them play this year, chime in.

The non-denial denial.

I think the fact that Collins is a defensive-minded coach could work in our favor. He could bring in an OC to run whatever our personnel could excel at, rather than try to shoehorn us into a particular scheme from the get-go. I understand that Temple runs some sort of spread from the gun. If anyone has seen them play this year, chime in.

The non-denial denial.

Collins has a winning record at Temple both years he's been there. I would think they are still in rebuild mode, so two back to back bowls while doing so is not a bad look IMO.
Rebuild mode? Huh? In the two years before Collins took over, Temple was 20-8, in conference 14-2, and finished 1st in their division both years. In the two years since Collins took over, Temple is 14-10, 10-5 in conference, and finished 4th and 2d in division.

There are lots of things that happen when coaching transitions happen, so who knows how much of this is on Collins. But – relative to Temple's overall history – he got them at their peak and hasn't sustained it.

Not saying he's a bad hire, but "rebuilding" ain't what's been going on there.

As long as we don't hire someone who's not even well-liked at their current job, like we've done for the last two basketball hires, I'll be fine with it.

Rebuild mode? Huh? In the two years before Collins took over, Temple was 20-8, in conference 14-2, and finished 1st in their division both years. In the two years since Collins took over, Temple is 14-10, 10-5 in conference, and finished 4th and 2d in division.

There are lots of things that happen when coaching transitions happen, so who knows how much of this is on Collins. But – relative to Temple's overall history – he got them at their peak and hasn't sustained it.

My apologies. I was under the impression the Temple head coach was fired, not hired elsewhere.

As long as we don't hire someone who's not even well-liked at their current job, like we've done for the last two basketball hires, I'll be fine with it.

I should add that Malzahn would be the one exception here, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

When we hired Bill Lewis, he had just finished that great season at ECU. He was the hottest coach on the market, and we passed over George O'Leary to get him. When we hired Chan Gailey, he was proclaimed "the next Bobby Dodd." When we hired Bobby Cremins, nobody had heard of him. When we gave Hewitt that crazy contract that we're still paying for, he had just gotten Tech into the national championship game and every school looking for a coach wanted him. When we hired Bobby Dodd, he had no head coaching experience. So, does anybody really know how any of the people we're considering would do, if we hired them?

Depends on what might of been lost from those teams in between. Have no idea if those first two years were upperclassmen heavy or not, but would be a question to consider.

Back