Geoff Collins

Monken told the then president of USC when that job came open he would not necessarily bring the 3O with him.

He can find an OC and a staff to put in something completely different. He can be the HC/CEO.

So ... yeah.
If he ever wants to coach at a P5 school, he needs to drop the 3O now. Otherwise that statement is just a bunch of smoke he is blowing. He needs to prove he can win with another offense.

Monken told the then president of USC when that job came open he would not necessarily bring the 3O with him.

He can find an OC and a staff to put in something completely different. He can be the HC/CEO.

So ... yeah.
Monken can’t hold Chris Weinke’s jock strap. Watch our QB play improve this year. Sims or the transfer from Clemson will be zipping TD passes. You’ll see.

Monken can’t hold Chris Weinke’s jock strap. Watch our QB play improve this year. Sims or the transfer from Clemson will be zipping TD passes. You’ll see.
How can you say that with any certainty? I mean it can't be worse, but how can you think this coach and AD can make any kind of good hire?

Bama picked up Bill O’Brian as OC. Interestingly enough, he was on staff at GT in the late ‘90s under CGO. We’d likely have to wait a couple years, but I wonder if he’d be interested in an HC gig.
I hear he turned us down, not sure though. But getting him this year would've been nice, however I think it's the Collins issue. I wouldn't want to work under his incompetence. If that's too strongly worded, piss into the wind because based on the product he's put out, He's not competent enough to manage his favorite Waffle House

If he ever wants to coach at a P5 school, he needs to drop the 3O now. Otherwise that statement is just a bunch of smoke he is blowing. He needs to prove he can win with another offense.

He cannot "drop" it at an academy - they would get their doors blown off consistently. Talent level is way too low to consider running anything significantly different.

He cannot "drop" it at an academy - they would get their doors blown off consistently. Talent level is way too low to consider running anything significantly different.
Then the academy is where he’ll stay. Only other option is to go to a lower level school (1aa or even G5) and show he can run another offense. No one is taking a chance on an option coach in a P5 school.

He runs it because that is what is best for Army going against opponents with vastly superior athletes. If he goes away from it now he'll lose

Bama picked up Bill O’Brian as OC. Interestingly enough, he was on staff at GT in the late ‘90s under CGO. We’d likely have to wait a couple years, but I wonder if he’d be interested in an HC gig.

Guy was a disaster at Houston. Alienated players, bizarrely traded a top 5 WR in his prime, and made numerous other decisions that helped sink that franchise. Maybe he is just a career coordinator guy, no thanks as an HC.

Guy was a disaster at Houston. Alienated players, bizarrely traded a top 5 WR in his prime, and made numerous other decisions that helped sink that franchise. Maybe he is just a career coordinator guy, no thanks as an HC.
I'm not an O'Brien supporter, but that is a disingenuous post. He's been a head coach for eight full seasons between Penn State and Houston with only one losing season. Big Ten Coach of the Year and College Coach of the Year. Finished 2nd his first year with Houston (after they finished 2-14 the year before), then won the division four of the next five years. The only losing season came when Deshaun Watson tore his ACL. He might suck as a GM, but he did pretty well as a head coach.

Back