Gibbs Entering NFL Draft

I'm pretty sure I'm arguing against a wall here but here goes... Gibbs skillset is so NFL-ready that he nearly can't fail. He has great vision, pass catching and high top end speed so he is nearly an Alvin Kamara clone. The only thing that could wreck his NFL career is a serious injury but nobody can forecast those kind of things. As far as the Ravens deal, it is stupid money for sure but every new QB contract is shocking only to eventually not look so expensive just a few short years later. Mahomes at $45M/year suddenly looks like a bargain whereas one year ago it looked ridiculous, even for the best QB in the NFL. IOW, you need to wait a year or two before you pass judgement on the contract. Nearly every large NFL contract is designed so that they can get out of it 2-3 years down the road. The only truly bad QB contract is Cleveland giving Deshaun Watson a 100% guaranteed contract. There's no way out for them and Cleveland seemingly negotiated against themselves into this deal.

Finally onto Richardson. His ceiling is so high that any QB-needy team *had* to take him after the first two QBs were gone. There's no way you can possibly pass on him if you were in the market for a QB. Not after that historic combine performance. Don't state the obvious and say there's more to a QB than a workout. Yes of course, but Richardson has the highest ceiling of any QB in history so how do you pass on that if you're Indy? His floor is low but the reward far outweighs the risk.
I dunno the Russell wilson deal is looking pretty bad for denver

I'm pretty sure I'm arguing against a wall here but here goes... Gibbs skillset is so NFL-ready that he nearly can't fail. He has great vision, pass catching and high top end speed so he is nearly an Alvin Kamara clone. The only thing that could wreck his NFL career is a serious injury but nobody can forecast those kind of things. As far as the Ravens deal, it is stupid money for sure but every new QB contract is shocking only to eventually not look so expensive just a few short years later. Mahomes at $45M/year suddenly looks like a bargain whereas one year ago it looked ridiculous, even for the best QB in the NFL. IOW, you need to wait a year or two before you pass judgement on the contract. Nearly every large NFL contract is designed so that they can get out of it 2-3 years down the road. The only truly bad QB contract is Cleveland giving Deshaun Watson a 100% guaranteed contract. There's no way out for them and Cleveland seemingly negotiated against themselves into this deal.

Finally onto Richardson. His ceiling is so high that any QB-needy team *had* to take him after the first two QBs were gone. There's no way you can possibly pass on him if you were in the market for a QB. Not after that historic combine performance. Don't state the obvious and say there's more to a QB than a workout. Yes of course, but Richardson has the highest ceiling of any QB in history so how do you pass on that if you're Indy? His floor is low but the reward far outweighs the risk.
Seems we have opolar opposite opinions on all these things. Good thing is we'll get to see who was right. I promise that if Gibbs, Richardson, or Jackson ball out in the next couple of years, if I'm still alive I'll come back here and admit I was wrong. It would be nice if you would do the same.

The funny thing is if he had stayed, it's very possible that we win an extra game or two last season, Collins doesn't get fired, and both Gibbs and Georgia Tech would be worse off.

Okay, so maybe not "haha" funny, but still.

I don't think it is likely he would have made that big a difference in the Clemson & Ole Miss blowouts, or the UCF beat down; but had he stayed we probably beat UVA to become bowl eligible and maybe Miami. So his leaving probably cost us a bowl game in Key's interim season.

I don't think it is likely he would have made that big a difference in the Clemson & Ole Miss blowouts, or the UCF beat down; but had he stayed we probably beat UVA to become bowl eligible and maybe Miami. So his leaving probably cost us a bowl game in Key's interim season.

Agreed. Unless Gibbs could have taken over head coaching duties and made practice productive early last season, he wouldn't have helped Collins at all. Had he stayed, and played for Key, we almost certainly go bowling. It's unfortunate, but I don't blame him for leaving.

Another question, had our AD seen the writing on the wall and gotten a competent coach in place immediately at the end of last season, would Gibbs have stayed? I don't know if it's an answerable question for anyone here, but I can see us at least winning the UCF game with a competent coach, plus Gibbs. It's very possible that the team wins 7 or 8 last year without TFG.

You contend that the most GT thing Gibbs did was to assess the situation and then leave. I will say that a better example of a GT thing is to assess the situation and then do what ever possible to improve the situation. I think loyalty is a virtue that can not be overlooked.
This is the disconnect. He did assess the situation and improved it - by leaving. Look, the assistant coaches, being paid lots of money, did nothing to improve the situation yet you expect a 20-21 player to? Gibbs was on the inside and not making a dime so he assessed Collins properly and left.

As for loyalty, I assume you worked at your first job for a 40 year career then. Because if you left to go to a better situation then you obviously lacked a loyalty virtue by your own words.

If your son was a 4 star player who was the gem of his recruiting class who was sold a bill of goods to not sign with Florida or Auburn and then you realized the coach was a total zero and at the same time Saban is on line 1 you would have told your son to stay and play for Collins over Saban?

A remnant is something that remains, Gibbs was gone before Collins was. Trying to paint his leaving as the GT thing to do is a retarded stretch. He left as have some other players over the years, there is nothing to celebrate about it.
Horse pucky. The best things to happen to GT football in the past few years was Tashard Choice, Marco Coleman, and Gibbs all leaving GT and the stadium being all red when we played UGA. Those were all positives because it forced the idiots we have in charge to do something. Without those things, we would have kept TStan and we’d probably still have Pastner. Do I need to remind you we were 4-12 in Collins last 16 games with wins over Western Carolina, Kennesaw State, UNC, and Duke. We were a total and complete embarrassment to the ACC, the state of Georgia, to our alum, and to our current students. I have no problem with anyone who was smart enough to leave. If anything we owe Gibbs a huge thank you for waking up those in Tech Tower.

Horse pucky. The best things to happen to GT football in the past few years was Tashard Choice, Marco Coleman, and Gibbs all leaving GT and the stadium being all red when we played UGA. Those were all positives because it forced the idiots we have in charge to do something. Without those things, we would have kept TStan and we’d probably still have Pastner. Do I need to remind you we were 4-12 in Collins last 16 games with wins over Western Carolina, Kennesaw State, UNC, and Duke. We were a total and complete embarrassment to the ACC, the state of Georgia, to our alum, and to our current students. I have no problem with anyone who was smart enough to leave. If anything we owe Gibbs a huge thank you for waking up those in Tech Tower.

The word remnant has a well established meaning. He was not a "remnant" of the Collins era no matter how hard you double down on it and the argument that the most GT thing to do is leave GT. Gibbs didn't wake up anyone in Tech Tower, they kept Collins well after Gibbs left; therefore we really don't owe him anything. What woke up Tech Tower was the Clemson & Ole Miss blowouts. Gibbs went to Alabama and was drafted as a Bama player. It is past time for you to let him go.

Seems we have opolar opposite opinions on all these things. Good thing is we'll get to see who was right. I promise that if Gibbs, Richardson, or Jackson ball out in the next couple of years, if I'm still alive I'll come back here and admit I was wrong. It would be nice if you would do the same.
Ok boys, put a posse together and find out who duct-taped 82 to a chair and is posting under his account.

Hell yeah I readily admit when I'm wrong. There's no such thing as winning the internet so if I'm way off base with my take, I own it.

Hell yeah I readily admit when I'm wrong. There's no such thing as winning the internet so if I'm way off base with my take, I own it.
I don't know about Richardson - haven't watched him enough to make an assessment although will admit his workout was fantastic at the NFL camp and he has the measurables of height, speed and athleticism. #4 is pretty high though.

As far as Jackson, he's worth it - QB's are important and cost a lot. I would prefer to pay Jackson that kind of money as opposed to an unproven Bryce Young. LJ needs to improve his passing accuracy and read defenses better but he is pretty good already and qbs aren't easy to find.

Now on to Gibbs. I like Gibbs and don't blame him for leaving for Bama, Good move on his part to secure a #12 pick. I also hope he does great and recognize his ability to cut on a dime and all out speed. However, my instincts think he is too small and will not be able to take the punishment the NFL throws at you. Kamera to me is tougher and Cafferty is bigger. Hope I'm wrong but I would not have picked him before the 2nd round and possible into 3rd. I as well will own my analysis and admit my error if he does well. Just an IMO.

I think both picks (Bijan and Jahmyr) were reaches solely bc running backs shouldn’t be going early first round, not for their lack of talent. But some of y’all are weirdos for hating on a guy who was easily our most talented player in a long while, and transferred to the premier spot to play football in instead of staying with a literal clown at head coach. From a business perspective, that was an absolute no brainer.

Now on to Gibbs. I like Gibbs and don't blame him for leaving for Bama, Good move on his part to secure a #12 pick. I also hope he does great and recognize his ability to cut on a dime and all out speed. However, my instincts think he is too small and will not be able to take the punishment the NFL throws at you. Kamera to me is tougher and Cafferty is bigger. Hope I'm wrong but I would not have picked him before the 2nd round and possible into 3rd. I as well will own my analysis and admit my error if he does well. Just an IMO.
Well this is where I agree with everyone in that Gibbs was taken way too early. In the modern NFL, you just don't draft RBs in the first round when you can get nearly the same production with a pick in rounds 4+. The value just isn't there.

Well this is where I agree with everyone in that Gibbs was taken way too early. In the modern NFL, you just don't draft RBs in the first round when you can get nearly the same production with a pick in rounds 4+. The value just isn't there.
That's just more of that conventional wisdom BS to me. There's a pretty significant dropoff in overall talent after those two in this year's draft. The typical NFL offense doesn't require a typical RB to do as much these days (which is where that conventional wisdom comes from), but taking the best back when there's a big gap, doesn't cost that much on rookie contracts. Robinson (and probably Gibbs) would have been 1st round picks for someone if the Falcons and Lions hadn't taken them.

The funny thing about Gibbs at GT, and nothing against him, is that I can bring to mind a play (or plays) that nearly every very good to great RB we've had in the past three decades, but I draw a blank when I think about him. The only thought that comes to mind is that I'd watch the games and wonder, if he's so great, why isn't he on the field for this play? I could never figure out what the hell kind of RB rotation we had.

That's just more of that conventional wisdom BS to me. There's a pretty significant dropoff in overall talent after those two in this year's draft. The typical NFL offense doesn't require a typical RB to do as much these days (which is where that conventional wisdom comes from), but taking the best back when there's a big gap, doesn't cost that much on rookie contracts. Robinson (and probably Gibbs) would have been 1st round picks for someone if the Falcons and Lions hadn't taken them.

The funny thing about Gibbs at GT, and nothing against him, is that I can bring to mind a play (or plays) that nearly every very good to great RB we've had in the past three decades, but I draw a blank when I think about him. The only thought that comes to mind is that I'd watch the games and wonder, if he's so great, why isn't he on the field for this play? I could never figure out what the hell kind of RB rotation we had.
Plays generally get remembered due to wins, we didn't really get any of those when he was here. I seem to remember some sort of big play streak he had

Plays generally get remembered due to wins, we didn't really get any of those when he was here. I seem to remember some sort of big play streak he had

I think the only play I'll never forget from the CGC era (outside the blocked punts) is Nate McCollum sprinting over 100 yards to turn a pick 6 into a touchback against UCF.

Really not sure I'll ever see a play more impressive than that one for so many reasons.

You dont get drafted 12th overall and suck, especially at RB. Gibbs is way better than you remember and he was dynamic at Bama. Coaching might have had something to do with his utilization here. I would argue no first round back in the past ten years has worked out of for their team to justify the pick compared to available premium positions, even the great Saquon Barkely, who can't stay on the field an entire season. This is the biggest problem with RB is they get pounded on more than any other position so you have to have a RB committee in the modern NFL.

Back