Gibbs Entering NFL Draft

View recent photos.jpg

Don't understand why a segment of Tech fans seem to despise him. He gave the CGC clown show 2 years, which is more than most players of his stature would have. He constantly had to contend with getting hit simultaneous to being handed the ball... cannot blame him at all for opting for a better situation for his final year.

I appreciate the GT helmet. I hope one day he'll come back to Tech to finish his degree instead of Bama

Don't understand why a segment of Tech fans seem to despise him. He gave the CGC clown show 2 years, which is more than most players of his stature would have. He constantly had to contend with getting hit simultaneous to being handed the ball... cannot blame him at all for opting for a better situation for his final year.
Because he didn’t embrace the suck. He made a commitment and then changed his mind when it got hard. As fan(atic)s/alum, we don’t have the luxury of such fleeting allegiance. Our collective identity, heavily rooted in underdog/overcoming challenges, was spurned for greener pastures. I certainly don’t despise him but I don’t necessarily wish him well either.

I appreciate the GT helmet. I hope one day he'll come back to Tech to finish his degree instead of Bama

Probably makes more sense for him to finish it at Bama, assuming he finishes it. I'm not saying that to slight him; but he transferred as a student to Bama when he went there as well as a player. It would not surprise me that some of his Junior level classes at Bama don't transfer back as easily as his freshman/sophomore classes transferred from GT to Bama. Typically I believe most schools prefer you complete your final two years of college at the school instead of transferring in at the end of your degree; but having other GT credits already on the transcript could get an exception to that.

I don’t despise him, but I’m not going to fall all over myself trying to tie him to Tech. I don’t really care that he transferred for a better opportunity, particularly given the Gef show that was going at the time. What pissed me off was the ND and uga games where he was clearly mailing it in and had already left. I was at the ND game and (before it got really out of hand) and people in the stands were repeatedly asking where TF is Gibbs. I was thinking then that his time with Tech was probably short.

I don’t despise him, but I’m not going to fall all over myself trying to tie him to Tech. I don’t really care that he transferred for a better opportunity, particularly given the Gef show that was going at the time. What pissed me off was the ND and uga games where he was clearly mailing it in and had already left. I was at the ND game and (before it got really out of hand) and people in the stands were repeatedly asking where TF is Gibbs. I was thinking then that his time with Tech was probably short.
When I was in the working world, whenever somebody quit a job for a similar job with a different company they would usually give a 2 week notice. However, if I remember correctly most of those workers were completely useless for those 2 weeks. I think the same principle applies here.

Some of y’all are funny. Gibbs didn’t mail anything in. Collins and our coaches (including our OLine coach at the time). were the ones mailing it in. Gibbs, Choice, and Coleman were the smart ones to leave. Its not a badge of honor to stay in a situation where there is no payoff. Trying to equate the rigors of GT academics where there is a clear financial profit to “endure the suck” has nothing to do with Gibbs staying at GT just waiting to get injured or become irrelevant on an irrelevant team. The most GT thing Gibbs did was assess the situation, set on a path to address his situation, and conclude with a positive result. He clearly succeeded like most GT men should.

And he will be the only remnant of the Collins era that we can look upon favorably and follow into the NFL. We all remember that feeling we had watching Gibbs announcement. That was the only good feeling I had over a 4 year period of GT football. And I appreciate Gibbs giving that to me.

I wish he would have been drafted by someone other than Detroit. Detroit is the franchise where HOF’ers retire early because of the suck. (See megatron & Sims) These guys both knew that it wasn’t worth the long term damage to their bodies since the Lions were never going to win big.

With that said, I wish nothing but a great career for this young man.

As excited as Detroit got they seem to have big plans for him. I am hoping he is going to be out in the slot with imaginative ways to get him the ball so that he lasts awhile.

It is Detroit though.

I was pretty hacked when he transferred but more because of the message it sent about our coaching staff. I got over it and appreciate that he still seems to hold GT in high regard (hence the GT helmet in the pic). As time goes on, I blame him less and less for leaving.

Some of y’all are funny. Gibbs didn’t mail anything in. Collins and our coaches (including our OLine coach at the time). were the ones mailing it in. Gibbs, Choice, and Coleman were the smart ones to leave. Its not a badge of honor to stay in a situation where there is no payoff. Trying to equate the rigors of GT academics where there is a clear financial profit to “endure the suck” has nothing to do with Gibbs staying at GT just waiting to get injured or become irrelevant on an irrelevant team. The most GT thing Gibbs did was assess the situation, set on a path to address his situation, and conclude with a positive result. He clearly succeeded like most GT men should.

And he will be the only remnant of the Collins era that we can look upon favorably and follow into the NFL. We all remember that feeling we had watching Gibbs announcement. That was the only good feeling I had over a 4 year period of GT football. And I appreciate Gibbs giving that to me.

A remnant is something that remains, Gibbs was gone before Collins was. Trying to paint his leaving as the GT thing to do is a retarded stretch. He left as have some other players over the years, there is nothing to celebrate about it.

This is a weird board, we have posters in threads on the front page showing more support for another team's player than our own, and another team's coach rather than our own. Imagine how excited the board would be if Gibbs had gone to Colorado for his final year of eligibility.

You contend that the most GT thing Gibbs did was to assess the situation and then leave. I will say that a better example of a GT thing is to assess the situation and then do what ever possible to improve the situation. I think loyalty is a virtue that can not be overlooked.

He's not a Georgia Tech man.

You contend that the most GT thing Gibbs did was to assess the situation and then leave. I will say that a better example of a GT thing is to assess the situation and then do what ever possible to improve the situation. I think loyalty is a virtue that can not be overlooked.

The funny thing is if he had stayed, it's very possible that we win an extra game or two last season, Collins doesn't get fired, and both Gibbs and Georgia Tech would be worse off.

Okay, so maybe not "haha" funny, but still.

When I was in the working world, whenever somebody quit a job for a similar job with a different company they would usually give a 2 week notice. However, if I remember correctly most of those workers were completely useless for those 2 weeks. I think the same principle applies here.
You might also remember that after they left, they all got a new first name, too. So he's now known to me as ööööing Gibbs.

The Lions should thank the NFL gods for Anthony Richardson, so Gibbs won't be the biggest bust of the draft.

But neither one will be the worst personnel move of the day. The Ravens handing the bag to Jackson is indefensible.
I'm pretty sure I'm arguing against a wall here but here goes... Gibbs skillset is so NFL-ready that he nearly can't fail. He has great vision, pass catching and high top end speed so he is nearly an Alvin Kamara clone. The only thing that could wreck his NFL career is a serious injury but nobody can forecast those kind of things. As far as the Ravens deal, it is stupid money for sure but every new QB contract is shocking only to eventually not look so expensive just a few short years later. Mahomes at $45M/year suddenly looks like a bargain whereas one year ago it looked ridiculous, even for the best QB in the NFL. IOW, you need to wait a year or two before you pass judgement on the contract. Nearly every large NFL contract is designed so that they can get out of it 2-3 years down the road. The only truly bad QB contract is Cleveland giving Deshaun Watson a 100% guaranteed contract. There's no way out for them and Cleveland seemingly negotiated against themselves into this deal.

Finally onto Richardson. His ceiling is so high that any QB-needy team *had* to take him after the first two QBs were gone. There's no way you can possibly pass on him if you were in the market for a QB. Not after that historic combine performance. Don't state the obvious and say there's more to a QB than a workout. Yes of course, but Richardson has the highest ceiling of any QB in history so how do you pass on that if you're Indy? His floor is low but the reward far outweighs the risk.

The funny thing is if he had stayed, it's very possible that we win an extra game or two last season, Collins doesn't get fired, and both Gibbs and Georgia Tech would be worse off.

Okay, so maybe not "haha" funny, but still.
If all that had happened, about half the people on this board would be saying, Collins may be alright after all he is just a little bit quirky.

Back