Gibbs Entering NFL Draft

This is the biggest problem with RB is they get pounded on more than any other position so you have to have a RB committee in the modern NFL.
Derrick Henry is the exception to this rule. Over the past seven seasons he has had only one significant injury. That was a broken foot in 2021. He only played in eight games that year and still gained 937 yards.

You dont get drafted 12th overall and suck, especially at RB. Gibbs is way better than you remember and he was dynamic at Bama. Coaching might have had something to do with his utilization here.
I wasn't questioning Gibbs or where he went in the draft. It's just that even the games I watched when he was at Alabama just weren't memorable. Someone taken that high should be taking over games. I just don't recall seeing that.

I would argue no first round back in the past ten years has worked out of for their team to justify the pick compared to available premium positions, even the great Saquon Barkely, who can't stay on the field an entire season. This is the biggest problem with RB is they get pounded on more than any other position so you have to have a RB committee in the modern NFL.
Still, I think it's better to have one than not. There are a number of them in the last ten years that have played on top playoff teams - although maybe not their draft team. The current CBA does them no favors though. Most of the premium positions are seeking high dollar second contracts. The useful life of a running back makes it tough to get to a second contract, but that doesn't mean they weren't exceptional until then.

Derrick Henry is the exception to this rule. Over the past seven seasons he has had only one significant injury. That was a broken foot in 2021. He only played in eight games that year and still gained 937 yards.
Frank Gore Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith were incredible durable.

Gore only missed 15 games in 16 seasons; Emmitt missed 14 games in 15 seasons; Barry missed 7 in 10 seasons before retiring early.

It’s hard to gage Gibbs as a back in the nfl. If Detroit uses hime primary as a receiver, they should be ok. If they plan to utilize him as a runner, they wasted a pick.

While at GT, Gibbs averages as a runner were essentially the same as undrafted Mason. At Bama, his running numbers were a yard better than his GT numbers.

As a receiver, Gibbs far outshined Mason. It isn’t close. His receiving numbers at Bama were worse than his GT numbers, but there were more passing options at Bama.

In short, if detroit uses him primarily between the tackles, they would have been better off trading down for more picks. If they can get him in space so that he isn’t taking hits from LB and DL running down hill he could flip a few games for a few years.

That's just more of that conventional wisdom BS to me. There's a pretty significant dropoff in overall talent after those two in this year's draft. The typical NFL offense doesn't require a typical RB to do as much these days (which is where that conventional wisdom comes from), but taking the best back when there's a big gap, doesn't cost that much on rookie contracts. Robinson (and probably Gibbs) would have been 1st round picks for someone if the Falcons and Lions hadn't taken them.

The funny thing about Gibbs at GT, and nothing against him, is that I can bring to mind a play (or plays) that nearly every very good to great RB we've had in the past three decades, but I draw a blank when I think about him. The only thought that comes to mind is that I'd watch the games and wonder, if he's so great, why isn't he on the field for this play? I could never figure out what the hell kind of RB rotation we had.

The thing is that with our offense, instead of getting big runs Gibbs was turning -5 yd runs into 20 yd runs.

The thing is that with our offense, instead of getting big runs Gibbs was turning -5 yd runs into 20 yd runs.

Not so much. Mason wasn’t flashy and he averaged similar ypc.

Gibbs big plays were mostly explosive passes, like against Duke. This is where his real value in the NFL comes.

I wonder how his blocking has developed. It’s not really fair to gage that from his time with us v

I will be drafting Gibbs earlier than most in my drafts

It’s hard to gage Gibbs as a back in the nfl. If Detroit uses hime primary as a receiver, they should be ok. If they plan to utilize him as a runner, they wasted a pick.

While at GT, Gibbs averages as a runner were essentially the same as undrafted Mason. At Bama, his running numbers were a yard better than his GT numbers.

As a receiver, Gibbs far outshined Mason. It isn’t close. His receiving numbers at Bama were worse than his GT numbers, but there were more passing options at Bama.

In short, if detroit uses him primarily between the tackles, they would have been better off trading down for more picks. If they can get him in space so that he isn’t taking hits from LB and DL running down hill he could flip a few games for a few years.

We are still discussing whether Gibbs can run btw the tackles and needs to be a receiver? Smh

I will be drafting Gibbs earlier than most in my drafts
We'll have to see how drafts start shaping up and what the adp is, but I can certainly see myself with Gibbs and Robinson as my targeted starters

We are still discussing whether Gibbs can run btw the tackles and needs to be a receiver? Smh

No, we are discussing if you drop a round 1 pick on him do you run him between the tackles. Because his college career shows he gets round 6 or 7 numbers between the tackles. Between the tackles is a 3 year career.

Gibbs won't get the ball more than 3 times a game between the tackles. His value is out in space.

The Lions have their between the tackles guy already in David Montgomery.

I expect the RB rotation will be similar to last year when Swift was the space guy (when he wasn't injured) and Williams was the between the tackles guy.

Gibbs won't get the ball more than 3 times a game between the tackles. His value is out in space.
Perhaps. But perhaps an oversimplification. I think we can agree, however, that he's not a 4th and one back but most NFL backs aren't.

Back