GT to Big 12 or BiG?

where there is smoke there is fire

Oh brother. It couldn't possibly be that Chuck Oliver posts something controversial about a popular topic on his page to get web hits and reap the rewards of free internet money.

FSU to the Big12 makes sense. I can buy those arguments. ANY North Carolina/Virginia school leaving the ACC. Get the F out of here. ACC blood for those schools run just as deep as SEC blood runs for the MS and AL schools.

"The fact that Georgia Tech is talking with the Big 12 gives you a pretty good idea as to the future of the ACC. The conference has been out flanked by its peers and will have likely have its work cut out to ensure its survival. It is very likely that you see the SEC make a play for two ACC institutions. One is likely to be Virginia Tech, the other has long been rumored to be North Carolina State. The Big 10 has always had an eye on expanding into new markets and the ACC possesses institutions in Duke, UNC, Maryland, and UVA that would pair well with their current culture."

"Virginia and Virginia Tech are a package deal" "so is Duke and UNC" per Barnhart and Durham.

Chuck Oliver is a friggin' idiot.

"Virginia and Virginia Tech are a package deal" "so is Duke and UNC" per Barnhart and Durham.

Chuck Oliver is a friggin' idiot.

Dude Chuck is the Kang of College Football......don't you forget it :hsugh:

I hate Chuck as much as anybody.. Chuck is not the first person to rumour that the SEC and NC State may have talked.. in fact he's not the first person to rumour any of this..

I hate Chuck as much as anybody.. Chuck is not the first person to rumour that the SEC and NC State may have talked.. in fact he's not the first person to rumour any of this..

It's a stupid rumor whether he's the one who made it up or merely repeating it.

Chuck Oliver forgot to pull out of a homeless man.....

Chuck Oliver forgot to pull out of a homeless man.....

You know, now that you mention it, I too remember hearing that Chuck Oliver forgot to pull out of a homeless man.

You know, now that you mention it, I too remember hearing that Chuck Oliver forgot to pull out of a homeless man.

Obviously you got the grapevine version of this...

It was the homeless man that forgot to pull out of Chuck Oliver!

Not saying it is, but that is a pretty healthy sample size. Of course there are other factors in play, such as all moving to more prestigious football conferences. I recognize that. However, I think the absence of any schools switching to öööötier academic conferences has to account for something. Could be a fluke, but again, don't fall into the trap of thinking that the academic side of things accounts for nothing.

How much more do you think it would take to get GT to agree to move to the Big12 vs the B1G? And why?

Academics are important to some schools, but not all. And I'm not so sure that you can say the Big East was worse than the ACC in academics when Miami, VT, and BC made the switch. For instance:

- Villanova is the highest ranked "Regional University" in the Northeast in the US News rankings. Providence in ranked #4.
- Georgetown is the #22 rated University, right after Cal-Berkeley and right before Carnegie Mellon.
- UConn is #58 in overall university rankings.

Now, the ACC has the following rated in National Universities:
#10 - Duke
#25 - UVA
#25 - Wake Forest
#29 - UNC
#31 - Boston College
#36 - Georgia Tech
#38 - Miami

But, two of these don't count if you're talking pre-merger; We basically had Duke, UVA, Wake, UNC, and GT as our top 5 in academics. Big East had BC, Miami, Georgetown, Villanova, Providence. Some great schools on both sides, really.

Different types of schools in each conference, but the regional universities up there are good schools. Just because they're not research institutes doesn't mean they're not.

scaled.php

This is again one of those tail wagging the dog situations. A sidekick for a supposed football insider writes a piece saying something that everyone had speculated but no one had ever actually stated emphatically. This guy says, without naming any sources, that he has information that FSU is leaving the ACC and GT and Clemson are packing bags.

Now, this immediately set in motion the frantic headless chicken routine perfected by ole' Swoffy. Sensing more money and a chance to play OU and Texas as opposed to BC and Miami, FSU fans immediately jump on this bandwagon. Seeing the positive reaction to an unfounded story, FSU athletic director reaches out to Bowlsby ... WhatTheFuc(KIsGoingOnHere.jpg

Clemson, already jittery that they might be stuck with the Tobacco Road Mafia, immediately reach out to the Big 12 asking for a reprieve.

Big 12, on the verge of collapsing in February is now in a powerful position, dangling the annual SEC+big12 matchup as a surefire pre-MNC game.

All that is left of the wreck is a foundering ACC with no sweetheart except the Big East. In the final climactic battle, the 4-headed PAC/B1G/Big 12/SEC monster is unleashed signalling an apocalypse in college football.

Directed by M. Knight Shyamalalone

scaled.php

This is again one of those tail wagging the dog situations. A sidekick for a supposed football insider writes a piece saying something that everyone had speculated but no one had ever actually stated emphatically. This guy says, without naming any sources, that he has information that FSU is leaving the ACC and GT and Clemson are packing bags.

Now, this immediately set in motion the frantic headless chicken routine perfected by ole' Swoffy. Sensing more money and a chance to play OU and Texas as opposed to BC and Miami, FSU fans immediately jump on this bandwagon. Seeing the positive reaction to an unfounded story, FSU athletic director reaches out to Bowlsby ... WhatTheFuc(KIsGoingOnHere.jpg

Clemson, already jittery that they might be stuck with the Tobacco Road Mafia, immediately reach out to the Big 12 asking for a reprieve.

Big 12, on the verge of collapsing in February is now in a powerful position, dangling the annual SEC+big12 matchup as a surefire pre-MNC game.

All that is left of the wreck is a foundering ACC with no sweetheart except the Big East. In the final climactic battle, the 4-headed PAC/B1G/Big 12/SEC monster is unleashed signalling an apocalypse in college football.

Directed by M. Knight Shyamalalone

Sounds like a good synopsis... of a movie written a decade ago. You'll have to shorten it considerably for today's audiences.

Florida State goes to the Big 12. We're going in after them. (Fire ALL of the guns. Make ALL of the explosions happen.)

Starring CU and GT.

Directed by Michael Baysplosion.

I heard in the new Battleship movie, there's a scene where they stop a battleship with a hand brake.

I heard in the new Battleship movie, there's a scene where they stop a battleship with a hand brake.

Did Liam pull the handbrake and Tokyo drift it across the sea?

Did Liam pull the handbrake and Tokyo drift it across the sea?

That's exactly what happened. Except it wasn't Liam.

Btw- It co-stars Brooklyn Decker. I recommend everyone go see it:biggthumpup:

If one more person tells me we are going to the SEC, I'll have no choice but to become violent.

Back