GT v. FSU in Ireland 2024

It’s fun to rent a car in Scotland and drive around. There are lots of small towns (especially in the west and north) that are excited to meet tourists. Stay close to the coast. It gets real rural real quick in the Highlands.
Thanks.

It’s fun to rent a car in Scotland and drive around. There are lots of small towns (especially in the west and north) that are excited to meet tourists. Stay close to the coast. It gets real rural real quick in the Highlands.
Aviemore is inland, but it's in the Cairgorms and fantastic if you like outdoor recreations. In particular, the hills turn purple in September with the heather blooming.

Went and spent a week before the BC game in 2016 doing a lap around the country. Was a great trip and would recommend for any who haven't been
Curious, we’re planning the same thing and debating how much time we need to spend at Dublin around the game. We were thinking four nights spread around and four in Dublin but wondering if that’s too much for Dublin.

@ClubSeats - 2nd this… I wouldn’t spend more than two nights in the same place. Dublin was fun, but to me most of the charm of the trip is tied in the little towns along the coast we stayed at while we bopped around
Thanks, recommendations on places to visit? My ancestors are from Galway so want to go there, but beyond that wide-open.

Thanks, recommendations on places to visit? My ancestors are from Galway so want to go there, but beyond that wide-open.

favorite towns we stayed in were Killarney and Kinsale. Both had their own local feel and had plenty going on for us just to walk around and get into stuff at night, local music and pubs. Favorite thing we did was just riding around the “ring of kerry”…Actually found the old trip itinerary in my Docs:

Day 1 Saturday 27 August 2016
Morning Arrival in Dublin Airport
Full Irish breakfast in the Man O' War Pub
Depart on tour of Dublin City including visits to St. Patrick's Cathedral & Trinity College,
home to the Book of Kells. The tour will include many of the city’s finest 18th century
Georgian terraces & squares including Merrion Square, Dublin’s largest and grandest Georgian square
Check in Overnight in Dublin Hotel – Hilton Airport Hotel

Day 2 Sunday 28 August 2016
Depart for Donegal via Navan, Cavan & Enniskillen
Visit Trim Castle, the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland
Free time in Enniskillen
Continue to Donegal
Leisurely evening on the grounds of Lough Eske Castle
Dinner & Overnight in Lough Eske Castle

Day 3 Monday 29 August 2016
Depart for Ennis via Sligo and Mayo
Visit Drumcliff & read the epitaph on grave of WB. Yeates
Continue on to Galway City via the shores of Lough Corrib
Free time in Galway City, known as the “City of the Tribes”
Continue on to Ennis
Dinner & Overnight in Old Ground Hotel
After dinner you might like to have a pint in Brogan's or The Cloister

Day 4 Tuesday 30 August 2016
Depart for Killarney via the Atlantic West coast of Clare
Visit the dramatic 650ft Cliffs of Moher and see The Burren(Gaelic for rocky land)
Cross the Shannon by Ferry from Killimer to Tarbert
Continue on via Listowel to Killarney
Dinner & Overnight in Randles Court Hotel

Day 5 Wednesday 31 August 2016
Tour the world famous Ring of Kerry (Iveragh Peninsula) via Killorglin, Glenbeigh,
Cahersiveen, Waterville, Coomakesta Pass with it magnificent views over Derrynane, home
of Daniel O’ Connell, known as “The Liberator”, to Caherdaniel
Today you will have a lunch (Main Course / Dessert / Pint) in The Blind Piper Pub in the
village of Caherdaniel. Locals & visitors alike have been drinking here since 1865.
After lunch meet a local beef farmer to hear about his life and times in this rural part of Ireland
Continue on via the pretty village of Sneem, Moll’s Gap, Ladies View and along the Lakes of
Killarney to Killarney town.

Day 6 Thursday 1 September 2016
Depart for the historic town of Kinsale
Pass over the Cork/Kerry Mountains via the Irish speaking villages of Ballymakeery &
Ballyvourney to the old market town of Macroom, where you will see Macroom Castle, once
home of Sir William Penn, whose son was later to found the state of Pennsylvania.
Visit Blarney Castle and opportunity for shopping at Blarney Woollen Mills
Visit the Old Midleton Distillery for an Irish whiskey tasting
Travel on to Kinsale
Afternoon free to explore the beautiful town of Kinsale
Dinner & Overnight in Trident Hotel

Day 7 Friday 2 September 2016
Depart for Dublin via Waterford & Kilkenny
Travel via the south coast towns of Youghal and Dungarvan to Waterford
Visit Waterford Visitor Centre
Travel on to Kilkenny
Visit to Kilkenny Castle, Kilkenny Castle has been an important site since Strongbow
constructed the first building a wooden tower in the 12th century. William the Earl Marshall
built the first stone castle on the site in 1260
Continue on to Dublin

Overnight in Dublin Hotel - TBD

Day 8 Saturday 3 September 2016
Ballgame
Overnight in Dublin Hotel

Curious, we’re planning the same thing and debating how much time we need to spend at Dublin around the game. We were thinking four nights spread around and four in Dublin but wondering if that’s too much for Dublin.

Agreed that’s a little too much Dublin. It’s a nice city and you could fill a few days with museums and stuff, but I lean toward seeing more of the country. I think we came into Dublin Thursday afternoon, did sightseeing and pregame stuff Friday, game and some running around Saturday, and then like the zoo, Guinness, and some U2 locations on Sunday. So like 3 full days out of 2 weeks, including the game day.

I liked the Rock of Dunamase (castle ruins - we saw a bunch but those were among the best), the Cliffs of Moher were cool, enjoyed the Waterford factory tour and got to hold a crystal football. Ring of Kerry/Skellig Michael were good but probably too far afield for a week trip, ditto the Northern Ireland stuff that I really liked. It’s super basic, but I also enjoyed Blarney Castle, since I’ve heard about it my whole life. Knowth and Newgrange tombs were pretty rad but the Hill of Tara was kind of meh.

JRjr

favorite towns we stayed in were Killarney and Kinsale. Both had their own local feel and had plenty going on for us just to walk around and get into stuff at night, local music and pubs. Favorite thing we did was just riding around the “ring of kerry”…Actually found the old trip itinerary in my Docs:

Day 1 Saturday 27 August 2016
Morning Arrival in Dublin Airport
Full Irish breakfast in the Man O' War Pub
Depart on tour of Dublin City including visits to St. Patrick's Cathedral & Trinity College,
home to the Book of Kells. The tour will include many of the city’s finest 18th century
Georgian terraces & squares including Merrion Square, Dublin’s largest and grandest Georgian square
Check in Overnight in Dublin Hotel – Hilton Airport Hotel

Day 2 Sunday 28 August 2016
Depart for Donegal via Navan, Cavan & Enniskillen
Visit Trim Castle, the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland
Free time in Enniskillen
Continue to Donegal
Leisurely evening on the grounds of Lough Eske Castle
Dinner & Overnight in Lough Eske Castle

Day 3 Monday 29 August 2016
Depart for Ennis via Sligo and Mayo
Visit Drumcliff & read the epitaph on grave of WB. Yeates
Continue on to Galway City via the shores of Lough Corrib
Free time in Galway City, known as the “City of the Tribes”
Continue on to Ennis
Dinner & Overnight in Old Ground Hotel
After dinner you might like to have a pint in Brogan's or The Cloister

Day 4 Tuesday 30 August 2016
Depart for Killarney via the Atlantic West coast of Clare
Visit the dramatic 650ft Cliffs of Moher and see The Burren(Gaelic for rocky land)
Cross the Shannon by Ferry from Killimer to Tarbert
Continue on via Listowel to Killarney

Day 5 Wednesday 31 August 2016
Tour the world famous Ring of Kerry (Iveragh Peninsula) via Killorglin, Glenbeigh,
Cahersiveen, Waterville, Coomakesta Pass with it magnificent views over Derrynane, home
of Daniel O’ Connell, known as “The Liberator”, to Caherdaniel
Today you will have a lunch (Main Course / Dessert / Pint) in The Blind Piper Pub in the
village of Caherdaniel. Locals & visitors alike have been drinking here since 1865.
After lunch meet a local beef farmer to hear about his life and times in this rural part of Ireland
Continue on via the pretty village of Sneem, Moll’s Gap, Ladies View and along the Lakes of
Killarney to Killarney town.

Day 6 Thursday 1 September 2016
Depart for the historic town of Kinsale
Pass over the Cork/Kerry Mountains via the Irish speaking villages of Ballymakeery &
Ballyvourney to the old market town of Macroom, where you will see Macroom Castle, once
home of Sir William Penn, whose son was later to found the state of Pennsylvania.
Visit Blarney Castle and opportunity for shopping at Blarney Woollen Mills
Visit the Old Midleton Distillery for an Irish whiskey tasting
Travel on to Kinsale
Afternoon free to explore the beautiful town of Kinsale
Dinner & Overnight in Trident Hotel

Day 7 Friday 2 September 2016
Depart for Dublin via Waterford & Kilkenny
Travel via the south coast towns of Youghal and Dungarvan to Waterford
Visit Waterford Visitor Centre
Travel on to Kilkenny
Visit to Kilkenny Castle, Kilkenny Castle has been an important site since Strongbow
constructed the first building a wooden tower in the 12th century. William the Earl Marshall
built the first stone castle on the site in 1260
Continue on to Dublin

Overnight in Dublin Hotel - TBD

Day 8 Saturday 3 September 2016
Ballgame
Overnight in Dublin Hotel
This is great, thanks very much for sharing. Anything on this list you would skip if you were doing it for the first time again?

This is great, thanks very much for sharing. Anything on this list you would skip if you were doing it for the first time again?

I’d cut day two and day three, honestly, a lot of the basic touristy stuff like the cliffs and the blarney castle were some of the most fun and would definitely keep those, while those places are touristy it’s not touristy like it is over here… driving around the ring of Kerry is definitely the must do

Agreed that’s a little too much Dublin. It’s a nice city and you could fill a few days with museums and stuff, but I lean toward seeing more of the country. I think we came into Dublin Thursday afternoon, did sightseeing and pregame stuff Friday, game and some running around Saturday, and then like the zoo, Guinness, and some U2 locations on Sunday. So like 3 full days out of 2 weeks, including the game day.

Here are a couple of options if you want to browse some options, based on the busy two weeks my gf and I did last time.

For the brave soul who really wants a deep dive, I wrote up a day-by-day travelog of our last trip, with photos linked throughout: http://vapspwi.com/Ireland16/index.html

Alternatively, if you're more visually-oriented, I posted a ton of photos in a few Flickr albums (with lots of notes in the descriptions):

JRjr

Single game (no tour package) tickets are up for preorder starting today, with seats allocated by A-T priority on the 12th.

$245, $375, or $1105 (for club seats). I don’t recall the prices being so outrageous last time, but it’s been a while.

JRjr

Single game (no tour package) tickets are up for preorder starting today, with seats allocated by A-T priority on the 12th.

$245, $375, or $1105 (for club seats). I don’t recall the prices being so outrageous last time, but it’s been a while.

JRjr
They were nowhere close to being that high. I called the ticket office today to see if ST holders got a break on the price, and I was told that that IS the break, because tickets offered to the public will probably be even higher. The fact, though, that he said "probably" leads me to think that Tech didn't even try to give us a break.

Back