Hire Brent Key

If Key is going to be the guy I think we'll see it announced this week.

The result against U[sic]GA won't play into the decision at all, because realistically we should be blown out just like 90 percent of other teams would be. And it would make sense to want to announce it before the blowout.
If no coach is announced by the Monday after COFH we know who it will be

Let me clarify, I’m not Anti Key. I would be fine if we hire him. He will garnish some success. I just want us to be GREAT. I want us to be competitive on a national scale. I don’t think Key has it in him to be there. I don’t see us ever beating UGAg, Clemson, etc. yearly with him.

Not when you’re an offensive coach that has never touched the defensive side of the ball in your life.
Not referring specifically to Key or Chadwell. Do people care as much about defense as they do offense, because seems to be the primary topic of discussion.

Not referring specifically to Key or Chadwell. Do people care as much about defense as they do offense, because seems to be the primary topic of discussion.
I want whatever gets us a win at the end of the day. Whether that’s a lockdown defense, or a high powered offense. One of the sides has to be absolutely dominant.

A 4-3 record is usually not anything to shout about, but taking over a team in the middle of the season that for 3 years has been under the influence of absolutely the worst college football coach I have seen in my lifetime of 65 years and going 4-3 is not bad. You’ve go to remember after the Ole Miss and UCF games this team was in shambles. I’ve noticed some brain farts along the way … notably why wasn’t the gameplan for UVA not the same as yesterday? Keeping it safe and simple and then loosening the reins as the QB’s confidence grows. So if Key gets the job I’m ok with that, if the administration has a proven winner/recruiter they want to go with I’m fine with that too. Just make the right CHOICE!!!

The idea of Key being named coach has grown on me. I guess I’ll put it this way… if we opt for a coach with name recognition that really jazzes up the fanbase or a coach with a rock solid track record over Key then that’s cool with me. However, it makes no sense to bring in some fringe hire that isn’t a clear coaching upgrade over Key (ex: Geoff Collins level hire). Just give Key a shot unless JBatt intends to wow us.

Glad you can admit to being wrong. That wasn’t the only pass that travelled 20 yards in the air, but considering how wrong you were, only needed one example.
I don’t think you understand what a hyperbole is… my point is that we weren’t taking deep shots, we were playing super conservative.

So why doesn't key get credit as hc for the defense being good if Collins got credit for it being bad?
Collins is a defensive coach… he’s coached defense his entire life. Key is an offensive coach… he’s coached offense his entire life.

A lot of tards still ööööting on Chip Long even after yesterday's game. The dude has done a damn good job of tailoring game plans to the strengths of the team. Yeah, it isn't exciting, but it was effective and put the players in a position to be successful. Don't ask players to do things they can't do.

Long is the reason we haven’t already become bowl eligible. He‘s the weak link on this coaching staff and needs to be the first let go. We have one of the worst offenses in all of FBS and have struggled in all facets and under all QBs.

Long is the reason we haven’t already become bowl eligible. He‘s the weak link on this coaching staff and needs to be the first let go. We have one of the worst offenses in all of FBS and have struggled in all facets and under all QBs.

What offense would you run with the offensive pieces we have? What would you do differently?

I'm not saying he is great, but crafting a consistent offense with a bad OL and a revolving door of limited QBs is damn near impossible to do.

Brent Key will be the head coach somewhere next year. He earned that opportunity and some program will be excited by the hire. But ADs like to recruit and hire their choice, not keep the current interim coach as a consolation prize. For that reason, I think it will most likely be a clean slate, unless negotiations don’t go well and he can’t make something happen that excites the donors. I’d like to see Coach Key be successful, but doubt it will be at Tech, at least not in the near future.

Collins is a defensive coach… he’s coached defense his entire life. Key is an offensive coach… he’s coached offense his entire life.
Not sure how we’d give Key a valuation as a head coach, but isn’t it that coach’s responsibility to recognize weaknesses and turn those into positives?
As a head coach, the emphasis is no longer offensive or defensive in nature, but managing and making decisions that improves all aspects of the team.
I don’t have a coach preference one way or the other, but objectively speaking, Key deserves credit for changing what was a dumpster fire conversation into a positive football conversation for the most part.

What offense would you run with the offensive pieces we have? What would you do differently?

I'm not saying he is great, but crafting a consistent offense with a bad OL and a revolving door of limited QBs is damn near impossible to do.

There is always an excuse for this guy. The fact is both Tulane and GT have gotten worse with him calling plays. And hopefully like Tulane we magically get better the moment he leaves. Please stop with the QB excuses. He couldnt move the ball effectively against Western Carolina with a 3 year starter at the helm. Last nights win had nothing to do with Long, rather amazingly in spite of him. UNC gave up more points to FAMU, Ga State, and App State. They gave up an avg 30 points a game before playing us. Zero chance Key retains him if he gets the job.

Let me clarify, I’m not Anti Key. I would be fine if we hire him. He will garnish some success. I just want us to be GREAT. I want us to be competitive on a national scale. I don’t think Key has it in him to be there. I don’t see us ever beating UGAg, Clemson, etc. yearly with him.
There are 5 programs in the United States that can reliably beat uga and Clemson annually. I want 8-4 and to make the dwags öööö their pants having to end the year with a feisty, dangerous GT team

Back