Per 247

Michigan after App St lost
2008 class rank 11

Baylor after Liberty loss
2018 class rank 29

USC after Citadel loss
2016 rank 25
Oh hell, I've got it figured out.

We ducked this game on purpose so we could tell recruits they'd get more playing time.

The genius is in the juice. I love it. This is the new narrative.

User 10337

Yes, I was and am a big CPJ and TO fan. And, I am a sidewalk fan (to some, akin to being a leper without right to an opinion).With that said, I have been attending Tech football since the later days of Bobby Dodd and have never wanted to see GT not succeed. What I saw Saturday was an undisciplined, unprepared and embarrassing performance on the field and on the sidelines. The press conference intimating that the referees screwed up is also embarrassing. Our coaches should know the rules and someone on the staff has to keep the head coach apprised. That couldn’t have happened Saturday given the mis-management of time and time outs. I do not care if he is 3 games or 3 years into his program, the head coach is responsible. So far, what he has produced is bravado and hype such that, except for winning, we look like many of the other schools. Coach the guys up to play sound, disciplined football and you won’t need gimmicks (money down, juice crew, etc.) to build a successful program.
It’s not like last year’s team was super disciplined, prepared to play, or didn’t put up any embarrassing performances.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Yes, I was and am a big CPJ and TO fan. And, I am a sidewalk fan (to some, akin to being a leper without right to an opinion).With that said, I have been attending Tech football since the later days of Bobby Dodd and have never wanted to see GT not succeed. What I saw Saturday was an undisciplined, unprepared and embarrassing performance on the field and on the sidelines. The press conference intimating that the referees screwed up is also embarrassing. Our coaches should know the rules and someone on the staff has to keep the head coach apprised. That couldn’t have happened Saturday given the mis-management of time and time outs. I do not care if he is 3 games or 3 years into his program, the head coach is responsible. So far, what he has produced is bravado and hype such that, except for winning, we look like many of the other schools. Coach the guys up to play sound, disciplined football and you won’t need gimmicks (money down, juice crew, etc.) to build a successful program.
I watched Total Access : Louisville the other day on ACCN. Could have been out staff, same script, eerily familiar. Seeking to build that "family" atmosphere, band of brothers, accountability.

FLTech

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Also depends if they want to be coached by a football coach or a Waffle House employee. From what I’ve seen so far Collins needs to cut way back on the gimmicks and put more emphasis on actual football.
Come on man!! He's doing the best he can with the crap he has. Our offense sucks... bottom line. Coach P is not very good

GoGATech

Big Dummy
History doesn’t support your argument

Per 247

2008 class rank 11

2018 class rank 29

USC after Citadel loss
2016 rank 25
Also:
Alabama:
2006 class rank 13
2007 class rank 12
2007 --->lose to 4-6 ULM
2008 class rank 3
2009 class rank 3 National Champions

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I don't want to fire anyone. In fact, I like Collins, but that was an atrocious performance at the WORST POSSIBLE TIME for what he is trying to accomplish. And this is not 1987 anymore. Mass communication has put every aspect of every program under a constant microscope. I think most fans, football fans, not necessarily Tech fan, would agree maybe a little less Game of Thrones and Waffle House shtick and a little more focus on the Citadel might have been in order.
How close are you to the program? All you likely see is the the social media. How do you know how much focus was given to the Citadel? Granted I do believe we didn't give them enough respect and that's on the coaches, but you likely have zero idea how much time and effort is put into each of these things you note. Yeah he has his talking points and buzz words, but all the social media crap he has somebody do for him other than his own personal Twitter account. It's not like our coaches are out there doing nothing but tweeting waffle house all day.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Is there a list of the 85 players on scholarship? Anyone who is on scholarship, eligible to play and is not ATL is a strong candidate for the transfer portal. If you can not play now, you will not play next year.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I don't know the whole story and we likely never will know the entire truth behind it but pertaining to the clock management issue, from what I've heard from numerous sources is that the coaches on the sidelines were told that the clock would start on the snap. The coaches are typically notified prior to the white hat's announcement to the stadium. Coaches likely were not paying attention to what was said then, rather they were coming up with a plan to execute a play or two for the win and/or call time out and kick the field goal if necessary. Everybody is saying the coaches should know the rule. I 100% agree and believe that as well, but haven't you seen referee's make mistakes before? If they tell CGC that the clock is going to start on the snap, should he say... "um no it's supposed to start on the ready for play." ? Hell no if they make a mistake in your favor you take it. I would always go by what the ref tells me rather than what I know the rule to be. I have also heard that the referee's apologized to CGC or someone on staff after the debacle for the false information. Usually where there's smoke, there's fire, so I'm sure there is some truth to all of that in there somewhere. Granted we shouldn't have been in that situation at all, but how many times have you seen P5 teams ALMOST lose to much lesser opponents only to win it last minute or very late? You never remember those, only the upsets where the underdog pulls it off. We were in the opportunity to prevent that and IMO the refs totally botched it for us.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I agree with you that he should know the rules and it was a huge mistake but I don't blame him for the press conference. It is tough to get your mind in the right place after a game, it is an emotional game and I'm sure he thought he heard what he claimed and thought the ref made a big mistake that cost us the game so he was still mad and hadn't had time to cool off. Given that fact, it was pretty remarkable that he did compose himself and didn't say more.

I would give him a lot of credit if he comes back and says, I messed up and should have known the rule.

It was confusing because we had the "same" penalty back to back. On the first, we got the benefit and the clock started on the snap. On the second we didn't and even though it is the same rule, the situation changed and the clock starts on the ready for play signal. I actually would have assumed it was the same (both situations the clock starts on the snap) because a loss of 10 seconds is pretty huge.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
History doesn’t support your argument

Per 247

2008 class rank 11

2018 class rank 29

USC after Citadel loss
2016 rank 25
In two of your three examples, the head coach got replaced the next season. By your logic, history supports us ööööcanning Collins.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
In two of your three examples, the head coach got replaced the next season. By your logic, history supports us ööööcanning Collins.
Umm no. Carr retired (maybe similar to CPJ's exit in that regard) and Michigan proceeded to suck for several years. Muschamp and Rhule are still very much coaching at SC and Baylor.

Edit: Got the years confused with SC. Nonetheless, Carr was old and Michigan did not end up better off with his retirement, but their recruiting did not suffer (which is the point of this thread).

Last edited:

gtleviathan

Dodd-Like
I agree with you that he should know the rules and it was a huge mistake but I don't blame him for the press conference. It is tough to get your mind in the right place after a game, it is an emotional game and I'm sure he thought he heard what he claimed and thought the ref made a big mistake that cost us the game so he was still mad and hadn't had time to cool off. Given that fact, it was pretty remarkable that he did compose himself and didn't say more.

I would give him a lot of credit if he comes back and says, I messed up and should have known the rule.

It was confusing because we had the "same" penalty back to back. On the first, we got the benefit and the clock started on the snap. On the second we didn't and even though it is the same rule, the situation changed and the clock starts on the ready for play signal. I actually would have assumed it was the same (both situations the clock starts on the snap) because a loss of 10 seconds is pretty huge.
Sidenote: That ref was absolutely horrible.

I don't think he ever signaled that one Citadel touchdown and he clearly demonstrated he couldn't count to 12 on that botched illegal participation penalty.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
100% agreement. This staff looks unprepared and in over its head so far. Too many inexcusable mistakes. I get that LJ isn't a P5 QB and our OL is small and injured but like you said, basic Football 101 stuff like TOs and player discipline is 100% on the HC.