Impact on Recruiting

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
So, the eventual coach of the 1990 National Champions went 2-9 and 3-8 with all that talent Curry left?

To be fair, a lot of guys transferred or quit, and many on the team just didn't like Ross.
I sat in the stands those first 2 years and listened to some of my fraternity brothers, friends, and other fans (young & old) call for Ross to be fired. Same thing happened up at Clemson with Dabo. Hell, there are STILL some idiots on this board who call him a clown and think he sucks as a coach.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I didn't say they don't and I 100% agree those need correcting and are to blame on the staff. But your original argument was "Our staff looks unprepared and in over it's head." We're through 3 games. One against the defending champs. One we didn't play the greatest but got the W. And this one was bad all around yes but none of that relates to a coaching staff being in over its head. With that sample size there is absolutely no way you can make that assessment. I can see the challenge this staff is facing. We see as outsiders that running Tobias is likely our best offense and we all want to win. The coaches see that too I'm sure but they also are trying to transition this offense. If recruits see us run the ball 80% of the time with the QB and running back with no type of passing effort, they're going to turn their heads to that style of offense just like they did to the triple. You have to balance that out and that's what the coaches are trying to do with Lucas since Tobias can't seem to make the throws. Another thing that doesn't help that is that Lucas performs extremely well in practice. He just hasn't been able to transition that to live games yet.
This. I mentioned this in the thread “quarterback theory of mine.” That we are purposely not running the best offense we can.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
I sat in the stands those first 2 years and listened to some of my fraternity brothers, friends, and other fans (young & old) call for Ross to be fired. Same thing happened up at Clemson with Dabo. Hell, there are STILL some idiots on this board who call him a clown and think he sucks as a coach.
Those idiots who called for Ross to be fired sure are lucky they got to see a MNC. I’d give my left nut for that.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
I was sitting where I could see coach’s reaction to each. He got onto the individuals committing the penalties on the first two. The players then went behind bench and did pushups.

On the third, coach had the entire defense circle around him and he chewed their asses for a good period of time while the offense was on the field.

He was probably thinking this:
Penalty 1 - individual issue
Penalty 2 - individual issue, but wtf
Penalty 3 - team issue
This explains everything then. Coach finally got up all in their feelings, and they melted like Frosty the Snowman on a 90+ degree day.

cbee

Flats Noob
We know one thing for certain. When we do win an OB under Collins, the follow up recruiting is going to be insane.

CPJ öööö the bed on that front.
If we win an Orange Bowl under Collins, I’ll give my left nut.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.
If we win an Orange Bowl under Collins, I’ll give my left nut.
Quoted for posterity. Seems like something that could be facilitated at a StingTalk tailgate.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
We know one thing for certain. When we do win an OB under Collins, the follow up recruiting is going to be insane.

CPJ öööö the bed on that front.
2011 recruiting cycle was not kind to CPJ. Coming off 20-7 his first two years we signed five Top 250 overall recruits in the 2010 class. Then Nesbit breaks his arm, McCoy is medically DQed, and Tuitt commits only to be forced back to ND. Had a chance to really build something and it disappeared basically with some bad luck.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Well, Jaybo was going to go to MTSU until PJ gave him the call. Literally that easy, that’s not a hard decision to make if you’re Jaybo...at all.
Bingo! If there really isn't a QB on staff who can run your system, that is how you get a guy (not THE guy) to run your system for a year while you transition the offense an look for THE guy. Funny how someone like CPJ, who can't recruit, was able to figure that out.

My biggest gripe right now is that GT is afraid to rip the band aid off and transition to a new offense. Our team is having to practice 3 different offenses each week depending on who comes in for which snap, and then the football geniuses on here can't figure out why the OL can't figure out the blocking schemes and technique. Which of the multiple offensive schemes are they not figuring out? You can't for second think the problem is our OL is too small and too quick to block the Citadel. I would rather see the offense be consistent, even if they are bad at it, and get meaningful reps that build for the future, than this roulette wheel offense they are doing now. Then again maybe the 3 QB rotation is what the future plan is.

GtFan021

Flats Noob
At this point we should give Jordan Yates a chance. What’s it going to hurt? Who knows, he might come in and give our offense the spark it needs to get things rolling on that side.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Quoted for posterity. Seems like something that could be facilitated at a StingTalk tailgate.
Be carful. Alcohol thins the blood. Wouldn’t want anyone bleeding out and not being able to witness the fruits of their looms

gtphd

What a time to be alive
At this point we should give Jordan Yates a chance. What’s it going to hurt? Who knows, he might come in and give our offense the spark it needs to get things rolling on that side.
"Let's just see what happens" seems to be the coaching strategy this season. It's like the coaches knew we'd be terrible so they're just trying anything to see if something works.

beej67

new around here
This is the kind of argument I hate. Cherry pick your stats and forget the rest. We have 2 games with 4 penalties total for I think 20 total yards. Then our guys get frustrated and get a few this game so we just discount how we started and now all of a sudden we have a discipline problem.
Did they start frustrated? Because most of that nonsense was at the beginning of the game.

We looked like Mark Richt was hiding out in the bleachers handing out coke.

beej67

new around here
Same thing happened up at Clemson with Dabo. Hell, there are STILL some idiots on this board who call him a clown and think he sucks as a coach.
If GT had Dabo's assistants and Dabo's budget then Geoff Collins would look like twice the genius Dabo is.

79tech

Damn Good Rat
Yo

Did your fraternity know anything about football? Yes, it was frustrating but among the GDI alumni I was part of, we knew Ross could coach based on winning an ACC championship at frigging Maryland. Our discussion was more that maybe we should just drop football, not get a new coach. We also kind of slammed Curry for leaving such a bad situation to him. Couldn't believe Alabama took Curry. I don't think you were comparing Collins to Ross, that would be nuts. I'm pulling for Collins but he has to prove he can coach. WE knew Ross could, we just didn't know if he would quit from frustration before winning. Then Shawn Jones showed up. Hope somebody like Shawn Jones shows up for Collins. Ross did whip a top 10 South Carolina team with a terrible Tech team just by outcoaching there "dressed in black" Coach. They kept blitzing and although our QB was not good, he could throw a swing pass to a RB who had clear field in front of him.