Inexcusable Loss?

TechRush

Dodd-Like
Well damn, Tech went from a dud recruiter and a hell of a coach to a hell of a recruiter and a dud coach. Tech can never have both.

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like
Collins should recruit better than CPJ; but it will be lost that part of that is due to the emphasis TStan has made on recruiting while CPJ was saddled with MBob. We are spending more money now on facilities and increasing recruiting staff, both targeted at recruiting, there should be some positive showing for it. That is not to take all the credit away from CGC and the marketing stuff; but how effective would it be if CGC was still dealing with the MBob administration and the limited recruiting staff?
Hitting the nail on the head. Nobody is perfect, everyone has some things about their performance that aren't great. PJ did himself no favors in his first two or three recruiting classes. DRad totally botched the 2009 investigation. But guess what? The highest-trajectory program in the country hired DRad and he has been mega-successful in continuing to build that. CPJ won an NY6 game during it's first year (and beat uga to the party), even with some of his recruiting/personnel issues.

TStan has put a HUGE emphasis on selling the school. Collins is known as a top recruiter (even Saban apparently agrees) and is 100% correct in identifying the need to build the program's brand.

What positive thing can anyone say about Bobinski? The dude:
  • Played hardball with CPJ's contract during CPJ's best year
  • Completely botched the thing he was hired to do - picking a new BBall coach and rebuilding the program
  • Rejected fan support for fundraising for the FB recruiting. Remember how TStan found a matching donor and challenged the fans to raise money for four additional recruiting staff? A group of donors specifically pitched that idea to MBob after the 2013 season. MBoob turned it down.
Bobinski was a three-year curse on our athletic program. The AA was completely in the toilet when he left. CPJ publicly stated he barely ever heard from the guy. How often do you think TStan and CGC speak?

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like
Yeah "Inexcusable" is such a stupid term for this kind of stuff.
It's "inexcusable" in that there is absolutely no reason that the path we are taking to CGC's vision as a program had to detour through a loss to an FCS school. There's nothing positive to say about it, no silver lining. It just sucks.

You are correct in that anyone using this loss to jump off the juice train is really dumb. As I've said before, believing in the new HC costs Tech fans nothing. On the flip side, nobody is going to get a pat on the back if they correctly predict his failure... they are just going to be annoying naysayers in the meantime.

User 10337

True; but some posts which criticize CPJ are often by people who hate CPJ and can't let it go. The comparisons between the two probably won't stop for a few seasons; but the comparisons aren't really fair (and those comparisons between coaches seldom are). Collins should recruit better than CPJ; but it will be lost that part of that is due to the emphasis TStan has made on recruiting while CPJ was saddled with MBob. We are spending more money now on facilities and increasing recruiting staff, both targeted at recruiting, there should be some positive showing for it. That is not to take all the credit away from CGC and the marketing stuff; but how effective would it be if CGC was still dealing with the MBob administration and the limited recruiting staff? Similarly, what would our roster look like right now if CPJ had been given this kind of support during the bulk of his tenure?
CPJ not receiving support is a lot of his own fault.

User 10337

It's "inexcusable" in that there is absolutely no reason that the path we are taking to CGC's vision as a program had to detour through a loss to an FCS school. There's nothing positive to say about it, no silver lining. It just sucks.

You are correct in that anyone using this loss to jump off the juice train is really dumb. As I've said before, believing in the new HC costs Tech fans nothing. On the flip side, nobody is going to get a pat on the back if they correctly predict his failure... they are just going to be annoying naysayers in the meantime.
That’s a good take.

User 10337

What doesn't make sense is focusing solely on distancing ourselves from our program's only strength, and abandoning things that worked. If CGC and CDP are serious about maximizing the talent we have, they would be using modernized option principles, which would probably amount to dropping into the shotgun, switching to zone blocking, and slowly adding some RPOs as we get more comfortable in the offense.
Dude we are running those things. One because I can see it on film and two because I know. You have no idea what your talking about and step in it with this comment.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Dude we are running those things. You have no idea what your talking about and step in it with this comment.
I know we're trying to run them. But we keep pulling the only quarterback that has actually been able to run them successfully.

User 10337

I know we're trying to run them. But we keep pulling the only quarterback that has actually been able to run them successfully.
That’s fair. Yes he’s been successful, but he’s also failed a few times to setup the run play. He’s missed motions that led to running against a stacked box. I don’t think TO knows the full details at QB yet.

Also our OL has not been consistent but I can assure you they know that. Their work is on the film. So long as they’re committed to taking instruction, we will see improvement.

It really pisses me off because they’re so close to getting it right. If they (offensive players)could just know where to go on each play, we have a shot to win games.

Last edited:

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
That’s fair. Yes he’s been successful, but he’s also failed a few times to setup the run play. He’s missed motions that led to running against a stacked box. I don’t think TO knows the full details at QB yet.

Also our OL has not been consistent but I can assure you they know that. Their work is on the film. So long as they’re committed to taking instruction, we will see improvement.

It really pisses me off because they’re so close to getting it right. If they (offensive players)could just know where to go on each play, we have a shot to win games.
This makes a lot more sense than we don’t have the talent to hang with The Citadel

User 10337

This makes a lot more sense than we don’t have the talent to hang with The Citadel
Jury is still out, they’re gonna have to show something. It’s up to them to prove it wrong, put something on film to show otherwise. If they’re talented, they should be able to get better.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
3 games in. Tell me about all of the terrible coaching you have witnessed. (Don’t really, I don’t care what you think)
I didn't realize that it would take the entire season for Collins and Patenaude not to make retarded decisions. Not having a functioning offense? Excusable. Not having a top ten defense? Excusable.

Not knowing how the ööööing gameclock work or calling timeouts that wipe out touchdowns or calling idiotic plays on offense or being out-muscled by an FCS team because you spent the week playing with you dick?

The coaching staff is responsible for this loss and the coaching staff is the one thing that doesn't get a free pass for sucking.

Dirty Jacket

Never Weaken
I didn't realize that it would take the entire season for Collins and Patenaude not to make retarded decisions. Not having a functioning offense? Excusable. Not having a top ten defense? Excusable.

Not knowing how the ööööing gameclock work or calling timeouts that wipe out touchdowns or calling idiotic plays on offense or being out-muscled by an FCS team because you spent the week playing with you dick?

The coaching staff is responsible for this loss and the coaching staff is the one thing that doesn't get a free pass for sucking.
Okay I’ll buy most of what you said as I agree completely. Guys getting paid millions to wear sweats and coach don’t get free passes. I disagree with the “time out being called to wipe out a TD”. I don’t know because I haven’t had a chance to ask him, but I assume Collins didn’t call the TO to wipe out a touchdown. Worked out that way. Also the defensive back field stopped playing because they saw the TD called. But none of that fits your rage so we’ll ignore it.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Here's another way to look at the whole situation:

For the last 4 years in team composite talent rankings:

Army average #130
Michigan averege #8.5

Army absolutely should've won that game. I would argue that if they had Citadel's kicker they would have. It would suck for them but it wouldn't be the end of the world for Michigan and they wouldn't be being talked about like we are. That's how much of an equalizer the option is, and we absolutely weren't prepared for it. Does that lie on the coaches? Yes. Does that mean they are duds? No. It was the the perfect storm. There are so many factors that played a part in us losing that game, you can take almost any one of them out and we win.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Can someone explain to me what he was doing and what he did that was so great that I have to praise the OB won off the coattails of FSU anytime I criticize the predecessor?
We only went to 2 ACCCG that we deserved.

Break out of your Stockholm Syndrome
MY Stockholm Syndrome?! Dude, you're constantly ööööting all over the biggest achievements by GT football (ACC title, Orange Bowl) in almost 30 years. What kind of fan does that? And it's me who has a warped view?

Look, I get that you have personal reasons not to like CPJ, and I respect that. You know him better than I ever will and would have no reason to change your mind based on something a random fan like me says. I just don't see why you and some others have to constantly run him down STILL, after he's retired. Acting like he destroyed the program is absurd and pretty disrespectful to what he (and more importantly Georgia Tech football) accomplished over the past 11 years. Nobody expects a seamless transition, but it's not like the new staff inherited a dumpster fire. They inherited a stable program that had gotten stuck in a rut of mediocrity for a variety of reasons and needed an energy boost.