Is this what Chan Gailey was like?

This does have the whiff of a 8-5 or so team, especially when special teams is going completely off the rails after Week 0. But when you're starting out with Geoff Collins, you have to pass Chan Gailey on the way to anything respectable. If they beat Miami but lose to North Carolina then that's full blown Gailey. Remember, Gailey wouldn't just lose to somebody he should beat like clockwork, he'd usually lose to somebody you really really didn't want to lose to (Ted Roof coached Duke, for example).

For those too young to live through Gailey ball ... hold the line at 7-5 for most of a decade and then you'll understand.

As far as this season goes .... 8-5 with a bowl win, blasting the ever loving crap outta Geoff on 10/12, and showing continued improvement on defense would be alright for me this year. We know who they are now ... pretty good on offense but with a penchant for occasional catastrophic self-destruction. Not to be trusted at all on special teams. Respectable against the run, highly suspect against the pass. Better team than last year, but against a tougher schedule. No chance against a legit title contender team, otherwise can beat anybody any given Saturday. Can also lose to about half the country on any given Saturday too.

Chan had Nesbitt. He burned a year of eligibility for a couple of pointless QB keepers.

Chan had plenty of time to prove he could develop a college QB. He couldn’t. Ralph or Johnson would have done wonders Reggie.
That pissed me off to no end. So very very stupid.

Nesbitt likely would have been passed on the depth chart by Renfree

Not a great reason to burn a year. Nesbitt could have moved over to safety, receiver, or RB. Gailey was excellent at developing RB. Emmitt Smith said Gailey taught him things he never knew.

Not a great reason to burn a year. Nesbitt could have moved over to safety, receiver, or RB. Gailey was excellent at developing RB. Emmitt Smith said Gailey taught him things he never knew.
Maybe he should have played him more, but Gailey wasn't there to preserve redshirts, although Phillip Wheeler took one his sophomore season, IIRC

Maybe he should have played him more, but Gailey wasn't there to preserve redshirts, although Phillip Wheeler took one his sophomore season, IIRC

I don’t think Gailey ever grasped the wisdom in persevering redshirts. He was pro mentality all the way. It was his downfall.

Putting your short QB under center ~90-95% of the time including obvious passing downs. Even better running play action from under center with your short QB in 3rd & long situations even though your O-line is struggling with pass protection.

Throwing virtually no passes across the middle of the field....only passes along the sideline.

Calling timeouts before the 1st O play of the game. At least once, calling a timeout before the 1st and 2nd O play of the game.

Not allowing your QB to audible and sending in the play at the last possible moment (or late).

Getting called for illegal formation on back to back plays.

Chan had the ability to give you so much damn hope. We had some amazing players during this years - a talent level we haven't seen since then. We had some amazing running backs and some beautiful pro-style running games. Tenuta's defenses were the chef's kiss.

Yet somehow ... somehow ... he always found a way to lose the games we should've won. Granted, he frequently found ways to win games that we shouldn't have won. Chan was that bipolar mother-in-law we all loved and then hated. I was honestly fine with Chan, but his poor track record against UGA was humiliating, and we had to move on...

Chan had the ability to give you so much damn hope. We had some amazing players during this years - a talent level we haven't seen since then. We had some amazing running backs and some beautiful pro-style running games. Tenuta's defenses were the chef's kiss.

Yet somehow ... somehow ... he always found a way to lose the games we should've won. Granted, he frequently found ways to win games that we shouldn't have won. Chan was that bipolar mother-in-law we all loved and then hated. I was honestly fine with Chan, but his poor track record against UGA was humiliating, and we had to move on...
His two "51-7" games were pretty horrendous too at the time, but gef was able to eclipse those pretty easily.

His two "51-7" games were pretty horrendous too at the time, but gef was able to eclipse those pretty easily.
Don't remind me. Richt had Chan's number. We had some great talent in those years, which is what makes 51-7 more humiliating b/c he was just out-coached.

Putting your short QB under center ~90-95% of the time including obvious passing downs. Even better running play action from under center with your short QB in 3rd & long situations even though your O-line is struggling with pass protection.

Throwing virtually no passes across the middle of the field....only passes along the sideline.

Calling timeouts before the 1st O play of the game. At least once, calling a timeout before the 1st and 2nd O play of the game.

Not allowing your QB to audible and sending in the play at the last possible moment (or late).

Getting called for illegal formation on back to back plays.
Icing a game against UNC on a long TD run from PJ Daniels where we had a big TE and fullback in the game to block and ran the play from under center.

Don't remind me. Richt had Chan's number. We had some great talent in those years, which is what makes 51-7 more humiliating b/c he was just out-coached.
Horseshit he did. Refs gave them two of those games.

And 51-7 against UGAg was with two QB'S who were pretty much the best we had available. Our defense collapsed.

Should I remind you of 2009 where UGAg just ran every play up the guy to beat us while we were favored?

which alt is @BarrelORum using these days.. he can tell us all about Gailey. I am almost positive he sat behind us at games and ravaged Gailey
You should know me better that I don't use alts. Speaking of Gailey, I still root against him every Sunday pulling for Bo Nix to throw an interception or get sacked. It's the little things that matter.

You should know me better that I don't use alts. Speaking of Gailey, I still root against him every Sunday pulling for Bo Nix to throw an interception or get sacked. It's the little things that matter.
CSB. Bye.

Have said it many times. Chan was just one talented QB away. Think about if he had Haynes King or a Josh Nesbitt. He would have had ACC championships and beaten UGA for sure.

Hell he probably could have won with Jeff Sims.
Part of CCG’s problem was that he couldn’t leave the OC alone to run the offense they wanted and call the plays they wanted to. He went thru about 3 OC’s and the onfield results were identical. If he had left Bill O’brien alone (like he didi Tenuta) and let him run the Friedgen offense (as promised) we would have won a lot more games imo.

Bo got his first win this past Sunday. Keep "rooting" for him, Broncos need all the help they can get.

Back