It’s War 2.0

Those of you who believe college football is dead can simply stop watching. And for every one of you there will be 2 younger fans to take your place. But we all know you won’t stop watching because as the playoffs expand your team will get in every once in a while. It’s called HOPE and hope will keep you around. The old system took HOPE away from 85% of teams by the end of September. You know why the Johnson years were so fun? Because Coastal Chaos gave us hope going into November most years because it didn’t matter if we had 3 losses because we still had a path to the ACC title. The expanded playoff will give everyone hope on a national level.

In my view, the sport is finally becoming legitimate with the days of under the table money, unbalanced rule enforcement, and opinions determining the champion being over. The 12 team won’t be perfect but it will be a thousand times better than 4. And 24 will be a thousand times better than 12. This sport is about to enter its heyday!

Those of you who believe college football is dead can simply stop watching. And for every one of you there will be 2 younger fans to take your place. But we all know you won’t stop watching because as the playoffs expand your team will get in every once in a while. It’s called HOPE and hope will keep you around. The old system took HOPE away from 85% of teams by the end of September. You know why the Johnson years were so fun? Because Coastal Chaos gave us hope going into November most years because it didn’t matter if we had 3 losses because we still had a path to the ACC title. The expanded playoff will give everyone hope on a national level.

In my view, the sport is finally becoming legitimate with the days of under the table money, unbalanced rule enforcement, and opinions determining the champion being over. The 12 team won’t be perfect but it will be a thousand times better than 4. And 24 will be a thousand times better than 12. This sport is about to enter its heyday!
The problem is the large state schools produce young fans at a much higher rate in what is essentially a fanbase production race at this point. Conference expansion will focus on those schools with large student bodies and alumni bases. Expansion efforts will look at schools like ASU before Georgia Tech.

We would all be singing Dodd's praises if he had simply done nothing. He went out of his way, not to make decision; but create a disaster from scratch.

Both Penn State and FSU had the good sense to join a conference while they were still hot. As bad as FSU wants out of the ACC, they'll stay if the option is to go back independent.
Instead of doing nothing, Bobby Dodd won a few Sugar Bowls, a couple of Orange Bowls, a Cotton Bowl, a few other bowls, a couple of SEC Championships, a National Championship, beat uga 8 years in a row, won 165 and over 70% of his games at Georgia Tech...No offense, but I think you are focusing on the wrong things. As Brent Key begins to compile these types of numbers over the next 20 years, I'll be clown facing anyone that finds something to bitch about regarding him as well.

Those of you who believe college football is dead can simply stop watching.
Done.
And for every one of you there will be 2 younger fans to take your place.
Wrong. The secret of success to any sports league is competitive games. That does not happen anymore.

The allure of college football across the board was that it had the most exciting games, the most OT's, unpredictable players that could single handedly win the game, etc. Michael Vick would be at Bama these days. Hell, do you really think Joe Ham would be a Jacket his junior and senior year in today's game? I honestly feel bad for the younger crew that hasn't experienced how much fun it used to be.

Since leaving the SEC we have won a national title. We beat UGA three years in a row. Another coach won three road games in Athens. We had a streak of winning seasons and bowl games from O’Leary through Johnson that was almost two decades long. Now it is 2024 and the Big 10 and SEC are a two conference monopoly cannibalizing other conferences. Of course, any school would like to be in one of those conferences right now. But, Dodd and his successor should only be blamed for the lethargy of our program in the years as an independent. We recovered nicely by joining the ACC and being led by Homer Rice. Any blame directed toward Dodd should have ended with the success achieved under Bobby Ross. Blame recent AD’s and coaches for the fact that our program is not thriving now.

All’s fair in love and war.
buckwasphone.gif

Instead of doing nothing, Bobby Dodd won a few Sugar Bowls, a couple of Orange Bowls, a Cotton Bowl, a few other bowls, a couple of SEC Championships, a National Championship, beat uga 8 years in a row, won 165 and over 70% of his games at Georgia Tech...No offense, but I think you are focusing on the wrong things. As Brent Key begins to compile these types of numbers over the next 20 years, I'll be clown facing anyone that finds something to bitch about regarding him as well.

Dodd was undeniably a great coach; but you can't simply dismiss his years as AD. Was GT better after Dodd finally left in 1976 than it was when he arrived? I hope Brent Key leaves GT better off than he found it, even if he is never the AD.

I am going to interrupt the Dodd arguments and put this graphic in this thread b/c I think it is beating a dead horse to start a new thread on the topic and it will fit in here:

News flash: If you didn't already know, college football is dead. What used to be the most exciting sport is no longer with us. RIP NCAA football.

The 4 lowest rated championship games of the playoff era have been the last 4 games. The factories can't get out of their own way to realize their goal of winning a title is ruining the entire sport.

1704851128668.png

If 25 million people watching the championship game is officially ded, what does that make literally every other sport other than the NFL?

Maybe it's on a downswing but calling it dead is super overdramatic.

Could we please stop discussing what Dodd did back in the mid 60's. Trying to go back and evaluate the wisdom of this move 60 years later is really stupid since everything has changed significantly since Dodd did this. Here are some things during the time frame since GT left the SEC

- NFL and Braves come to Atlanta when Pro Sports was not a big deal
- Man lands on the moon several years later
-Lydon Johnson is president, Bobby Kennedy is alive
- No cable - all TV comes via broadcast
- All TV's go off the air ~ 12 AM
-The best computer in the world has less less capabilities than a cell phone from the early 2000's
- We did not even have 8 track tapes
- Most cars did not have seat belts
- Most homes did not have color TV
- There is a Berlin wall for ~ 25 more years
- Tom Brady was not born, nor had his parents married yet
You know what really changed college football… desegregation. That was an untapped resource that, frankly, most of which were not qualified to be Tech student athletes. Not the black students fault, they weren’t given the opportunity prior to college. The factory schools didn’t care about the student aspect of this resource, either, look at the Jan Kemp situation only 10 years after uga’s integration. The student part doesn’t really matter any more at most schools to these days either, white or black. Stetson Bennet was in school for like a decade and never got a degree.

Dodd was undeniably a great coach; but you can't simply dismiss his years as AD. Was GT better after Dodd finally left in 1976 than it was when he arrived? I hope Brent Key leaves GT better off than he found it, even if he is never the AD.
Well...Bobby Dodd came to Tech as an assistant coach in 1931. He served as the Head Football Coach and the AD from 1950-1966. My opinion is that Georgia Tech Football was not better after 1976, but only because he retired as the Coach and cast such a long and legendary shadow that no other Tech Coach could get out of until Bobby Ross. If Tech can replicate the overall football success that was enjoyed from 1931-1966, I think we can all agree that the next 35 years will be lots of fun.

If 25 million people watching the championship game is officially ded, what does that make literally every other sport other than the NFL?
some stage of circling the drain

25 million is way less than 10% of the population. That is fringe status.

Done.

Wrong. The secret of success to any sports league is competitive games. That does not happen anymore.

The allure of college football across the board was that it had the most exciting games, the most OT's, unpredictable players that could single handedly win the game, etc. Michael Vick would be at Bama these days. Hell, do you really think Joe Ham would be a Jacket his junior and senior year in today's game? I honestly feel bad for the younger crew that hasn't experienced how much fun it used to be.
Are you kidding me? Whether due to the COVID free year, Portal or a combination of both, this was the most competitive year in a decade.

some stage of circling the drain

25 million is way less than 10% of the population. That is fringe status.

So the NBA, MLB, and college football are all fringe sports that are circling the drain in your opinion?

And there is no such thing as a mainstream non-sports TV show, only fringe TV shows that are all dying? Because none of them come even close to pulling 10 percent numbers.

In fact, almost no hobby or entertainment source pulls ten percent of the population anymore because there are so many choices.

Back